Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slack in the drive line.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Slack in the drive line.

Here's the deal. I changed my u-joints about a month ago because i could hear some clanging when i put it in gear,well after a couple days it started doin it again, so i changed them again. It was okay for about for about the same period of time . So i get ready to pull the trans tonight to do a converter swap and i get to jackin around with the DS and its got some slack in it. I can hear it up in the tail shaft/mid trans area. Is this normal? Maybe this is where my noise is comin from? My luck the trans is about to take a dump right when i get all tha stuff to do my cam swap . If you guys have any info let me know. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i had some slack in mine too...the shop i go to told me my rearend was about gone...sure enough, not too long after that my rearend went south (more ways than one) car is sitting in GA right now
Old 11-08-2007, 09:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is always going to be some slack in the driveline... no matter the vehicle. Excessive slack is usually found in the rear axle. Remove the driveshaft and rotate the pinion yoke by hand each direction. Then get back to us with what you find.

I seriously doubt your transmission is defective.

g
Old 11-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Launching!

I had the DS unhooked and the slack i felt was in the trans. There was a lil in the read end but not much.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SO tell me about the noise you are hearing... the noise you referred to in the OP. Does the driveshaft Yoke fit snug onto the shaft and tailhousing bushing or is it loose? You will be able to hear some different noise when tryign to rotate the transmission output shaft by hand... but not usually a loud metallic sound like two pieces interfering with each other.

g
Old 11-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Launching!

Yes it fits snug in the tailhousing. The sound is more of a "Clink". I really dont know the best way to explain it. It does it when going from park to drive and from drive to reverse, it also does it when im driving around in town when im coasting then give it some gas. I was changing the tail shaft seal and noticed that the tail shaft would move a little bit also. Hope that helped some. Lol.

Search this Thread