Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Oil Cooler Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Transmission Oil Cooler Question

Well, yesterday I installed an auxilary transmission oil cooler, I took my time and routed the hoses very well. So far tranny seems to be running very nice and way cooler, but there's a little detail about it that I've noticed. Before the install of cooler it would shif with a firmer action compared to now, it does shift very nice but it somehow feels a little smoother, and it had that neck braking effect/feeling that is not there anymore. Now, if I get on it hard, like at wide open throttle, it responds very nice! It does moves! Did anybody expirienced this?
Old 11-12-2007, 09:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the fluid level correct with the cooler it will take more fluid....the onlt thing i can think is maybe the pcm is seeing a cooler fluid and lowering the line pressure in attempt to make it shift smoother becuase what it thinks is cold fluid..cool fluid will make a tranny shift harder but with the computer strategy it may be trying to comensate for that
Free Cooler, Free shipping always, 2 year warranty Trans/Coverter combos, No Core or Core charge, $150 LS1 core buy back, All trans Dyno Tested to Be sure it works when you get it.Customer videos, Tech Thread, Open 7 Days a Week! Call or http://opi.yahoo.com/online?u=performabuilt&m=g&t=2Click Banner for Website.
Not Just Built.....PerformaBuilt!

Old 11-12-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Thats the weird thing, it would shift VERY firm when cold before the cooler install, I am not worried about that since when I get hard on it, it does shift very nice and strong! It does seems like an improvement, but that neck shake shifting it did before is no longer there, it shifts very nice, I guess I was used to that feeling.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

By the way, transmission is at correct fluid level.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

the only thing I can think is with the cooler fluid the torque management might be doind a little more or the pcm is trying to counteract the hard shifting which would be caused by cooler fluid
Free Cooler, Free shipping always, 2 year warranty Trans/Coverter combos, No Core or Core charge, $150 LS1 core buy back, All trans Dyno Tested to Be sure it works when you get it.Customer videos, Tech Thread, Open 7 Days a Week! Call or http://opi.yahoo.com/online?u=performabuilt&m=g&t=2Click Banner for Website.
Not Just Built.....PerformaBuilt!

Old 11-12-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, but would that affect the life of the transmission? I would think cooler temperatures would prolong the life of it. What about performance? I mean If the PCM is compensating by making changes when seeing cooler temperatures.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Anybody???
Old 11-14-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
Well, yesterday I installed an auxilary transmission oil cooler, I took my time and routed the hoses very well. So far tranny seems to be running very nice and way cooler, but there's a little detail about it that I've noticed. Before the install of cooler it would shif with a firmer action compared to now, it does shift very nice but it somehow feels a little smoother, and it had that neck braking effect/feeling that is not there anymore. Now, if I get on it hard, like at wide open throttle, it responds very nice! It does moves! Did anybody expirienced this?
Do you have a write up or how to add a auxilary cooler?
I been wanting to add one but i've never done it myself.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 5301113
Do you have a write up or how to add a auxilary cooler?
I been wanting to add one but i've never done it myself.
hope this helps.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/94Z/trannycooler.htm
Old 11-14-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Is not that hard to install, but take your time while running the hoses so they would last and not being compromised. The upper hose is the return hose, you will hear mixed results on how to run the cooler, some will say to skip the tiny stock trans cooler and run the auxilary directly, others will say to make it run through stock then auxilary, which is the option I took. So far it has been running very nice, it does hit hard and shifts very strong if I get on it hard. I see adding a transmission cooler as increasing the life expectancy of the transmission. I mounted mine in front of the condenser, leaning more to the passenger side, but NOT completely on the condenser fan.