Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans go = best shift kit or no?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 10:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: trans go = best shift kit or no?

Yeah but I think a shift kit is more work, IMO, than a head swap. I have only done a head swap on a Turbo Buick so my end is limited with an LS1 headswap.

But you are on your back doing a shift kit. Everything has to be super clean. Very organized. If you have problems/can't get something done correctly you have to call someone. The valve body needs to be torqued correctly. 2-4 band clearance needs to be set properly. Etc! Lots of work.

Then you have to hold tools over head for a few min at a time, this makes fatigue inset easily...and the cramped working quarters are not fun either.
Old 06-29-2003, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The kit needs to be 100% as per the instructions. There is no need for a halfassed install, that would most likely cause more harm than good.
This bears repeating. Seen it happen when people didn't know what they were doing.

8 hrs isn't that bad. Even a typical tranny guy takes around 4 hours to do one.

Old 06-29-2003, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a TCI shift kit and am well pleased with it. It's been in the car for about 11,000 miles. The shifts are quick, firm, but not jerky or abrupt. A perfect stree/strip shiftkit, IMO.

I've had TransGos before as well. I was also pleased with them. As said before, the TCI is an easier install.