Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans go = best shift kit or no?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default trans go = best shift kit or no?

just want to get the best one out there. does everyone like trans go or would you reccomend something else?
Old 06-20-2003, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: trans go = best shift kit or no?

should i even get a shift kit? anyone?
Old 06-20-2003, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am ordering a stall and want to know if i should get a shift kit as well

TTT!
Old 06-20-2003, 06:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Yes TransGo is the way to go. They fix all the inherent problems of the 4L60E like delay bangs, clutch burnup, etc. Also comes with boost valve, heavy 1-2 accum spring, and more. Very well thoughtout.

Superior also has a very nice shift kit, and kickass customer service. I have Superiors billet servos and while they cost me about another $150 the apply area of those is far greater than the stock parts.

Eitherway make sure Torque Managment is deleted or you will be disappointed with the performance of this kit until you are rid of TqMgt. It will pull timing and slow your car and shifts down.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks hit man. ill make sure i get rid of the tq mngment too. also,i heard something about it letting you manually shift. does this mean i can now manually downshift when i want to race from a roll instead of letting the trans do it itself?
Old 06-20-2003, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

what is the cheapest way to rid of TQ management?

Old 06-20-2003, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Well a Diablo Predator handheld programmer will take care of Tq Mgt as will a custom tune from LS1 Edit, aside from that there is nothing else I am aware of.

TransGo also has a full Manual shift kit available too. This means you will have to shift your car every time you need a gear change...pretty much defeats the purpose of the A4 in a daily car, it is good for an offroad machine or a dedicated drag vehicle.

With their shift kit for the autos, you can just pull the shifter from OD to 2nd if going to go from a roll. There will be very little to no delay when manually downshifting, almost instantaneous if you will.

Just set your WOT shift points via a HPP3, Diablo, or EDIT and be on the way with the WOT points...there will be no need for a manual upshift just a manual downshift to be in your gear of your choice from the roll. I would figure around 5800rpm to be optimal for a stock cam, but as I haven't owned an F-Bod in about 3 years I can't remember...I am stuck with two trucks and a little black car with boost.
Old 06-21-2003, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

excellent thats exactly what i wanted to know. and i hear that "little black car" can get really quick really easily. good luck with it
Old 06-21-2003, 07:22 AM
Teching In

i just got my transgo installed on my truck i love it. it was 300 to install it but if you can do it your self do it. i didnt have a lift so i didnt do mine. its great thou my truck does a burn out if i get on it hard when it shifts from first to second. realy cool
Old 06-21-2003, 10:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Homeskillet, glad that kit worked out great for you! Did you get those pullies and e-fans in too?

I really, really need to install an uppipe/turbo back to get full boost around 2600rpms and about 25whp. Power delivery will be far more linear too like that. Then some good enging managment like a UTEC for another 35whp at 15psi. I really think I am going to get a front mount intercooler so I can get a Legacy hood and ditch my hood scoop for the ultimate in stealth.

If my windshield did not have a gigantic crack in it, maybe I would play with it some...but seeing as how it is absurdly expensive for the glass I have to replace that first!

Glad I could help on the 4L60E info
Old 06-21-2003, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

I also have a Transgo in mine. Makes for much firmer shifts. I feel too that transmission longivity will be increased. Just be sure you get somebody you can trust that knows what they are doing to install it. It is easy to make mistakes or some shops might even leave the hard to do steps out.
Old 06-21-2003, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Trans will live longer (due to fixing shortcomings made by GM) but that is all relavtive in accordance to how you drive...Neutral slams are BAD, rolling in D or R then throwing the trans into the oppositer direction, excessive power, etc.

The kit needs to be 100% as per the instructions. There is no need for a halfassed install, that would most likely cause more harm than good. A good word of warning is to steer clear from big stupid chain stores like our buddies at AA*CO (letter left out inorder to avoid problems).

I did have Cottman rebuild my AOD in my F-150 and I am pleased with the owner addressing my concerns with it being under built and building it without me around. I got Borg-Warner tans, Kolene steels, 2" OD band+drum, better intermediate sprag, etc from their fairly normal rebuild. I gave them better OD servo, shift kit, and a few other odds/ends and still warrantied. I only wish funds (and trans) would have allowed for me to gut a 4R70W for the lower gears and stronger internal...once a 392 small block hits that trans I will then go all out!

Eitherway, research local places. If you are uncomfortable...go somewhere else. Find a place that builds lots of hi-po trannies and will sit and talk with you. Also try to meet the owner/manager who will be running the place, if the owner works there you know they will prolly do better work.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just watched the instruction vid that cam with it and WOAH thats mind boggling. no self-install for me.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:41 PM
TECH Veteran

It's pretty hard-core for sure, it can be done with a good nights rest the day before and lots of patience. Read all you can on the trans, get the ATSG book, have the correct tools, and get someone to help. Another set of eyes and an additional mind is always great when working on cars.

Personally it is cheaper for me to pay someone $150-200 to install it than take off 8 hours from work to do the install in my garage.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

It's pretty hard-core for sure, it can be done with a good nights rest the day before and lots of patience. Read all you can on the trans, get the ATSG book, have the correct tools, and get someone to help. Another set of eyes and an additional mind is always great when working on cars.

Personally it is cheaper for me to pay someone $150-200 to install it than take off 8 hours from work to do the install in my garage.
8 hrs
Old 06-27-2003, 08:52 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Wow, you said a mouthful there...that answer should be applied to all the installs...Let me add, do yourself a favor, get the helm manuals while they are still in print. Your car is like a good mystery novel, get the right tools/ manuals to solve it for yourself and you will live a full life... Doc
Old 06-27-2003, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

rudde68: do you have this shift kit and see the instructions? i very may well take someone like me about 8hrs. and a guy i go to the track with knows a good tranny guy so im going to take it to him for installation. i do really like to understand how things work but i would like to reiterate
i just watched the instruction vid that cam with it and WOAH thats mind boggling. no self-install for me.
Old 06-28-2003, 04:09 AM
On The Tree

i just received my transgo and it looks very involved. i think i could pull my lt1 out of my camaro quicker than install the transgo. the video just confused me, but when i sat down and studied the instructions and looked at the parts in the kit i figured i could pull it off. i read to forget the video and go by the instructions, hope thats the case. the kit looks like it will perform well though.

kev
Old 06-28-2003, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

rudde68: do you have this shift kit and see the instructions? i very may well take someone like me about 8hrs. and a guy i go to the track with knows a good tranny guy so im going to take it to him for installation. i do really like to understand how things work but i would like to reiterate
I didn't mean it like that. It just scares me to think I am going to spend 8 hrs on a shift kit when it only takes that long, if you take your time, to do heads.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:13 AM
FormerVendor

The TransGo is a pretty good shift kit, but is very involved as far as installation is concerned. The TCI kit is much less expensive and alot easier to install. It's a great compliment to a high stall converter...just ask the Colonel.
Kevin