Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission install write-up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Transmission install write-up?

I know about the website LS1howto.com, but they didn't have a transmission swap write-up. I was wondering if there is a detailed description of the process. I am getting ready to purchase an FLT transmission, and I would like to learn how to swap it myself...

Thanks for any input in advance,

-James
Old 11-24-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here is the exact link:

http://modernmusclecars.net/forums/a...p?do=tcinstall
Old 11-25-2007, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

Do you think if I have majority of the tools neded that I can tackle the project by myself?
The only thing I don't have would be a lift....damn it!
sure. if you have the tools and plenty of time you should be able to do it.

Last edited by Ragtop 99; 11-29-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

I was going to do the transmission swap and head/cam at the same time. I figure that I will save myself some money on a dynotune afterwards....I am just afraid of hurting something being that this would be my first time for both projects...

How was your first time swapping transmissions? Doing head/cam swap?
Old 11-25-2007, 12:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly I know it sounds nice to do them both at the same time but I might rethink that. I have done a couple big projects where I did "everything" at once and then when I got it all back together and something didn't act right I had all these new things to look at that could be the problem. I would do either the head/cam install first or the tranny probably, that way if you have a problem with something you know for sure what is causing the problem. Might cost a little more $$$ but might make things easier too. Just a thought. Good Luck with whatever you decide.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done my transmission 3 times and helped with my buddys 3 times as well...

Just get the car about 2 - 3 feet of the ground, otherwise you are going to have a hard time from getting it out from under the car. You can use a floor jack with a nice piece of wood to set it in between. Some straps and pull it out and lower it down. Putting it back up will take more muscle.

Everything is pretty straight forward, the top bolts can be a bugger but with some extensions and a swivel, your good to go. Just make sure you dont smash the trans pump when putting the verter on..
Old 11-25-2007, 04:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck... The main thing is not to smash the new pump.
What he means by not damaging the pump is many guys who do the install themselves do not get eh converter seated propoerly and eventually break the pump. This is bad.... do your homework on this issue prior to beginning the job.

Annnnd, if you have done neither a H/C swap nor a tranny swap then do yourself a huge favor and do not do them simultaneously. It was mentioned earlier here for good reason. I would reccomend the tranny 1st then the engine work.

I am sure if you buy one of Vinces units he would walk you right through the install! He's a nice guy like that.

g

Last edited by Ragtop 99; 11-29-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by firebirdman469
Another thing...Is there a write up on how to install a Trans cooler? I bought one of those too, and I would need to know how to do that...

Thanks guys!!

Trans cooler... Just make sure you hook it up post raditator and your good to go. Just find out the flow (cant remember which line) and splice it in.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

http://www.stealthram.com/2000pontiacformula.html

good info with pics
Old 11-27-2007, 03:44 AM
Launching!

If you have any mechanical ability at all you'll be able to swap the trans. Doing H/C/Trans all at once might be a bit of a headache. I'm in the middle of my converter and cam swap right now. I used the MM write up and have had no problems so far. Just make sure you get the car up high enough. I built a set of ramps out of 2x10's for the front (7 stacked per side) and put the rear on 5 ton jack stands. It was a little tight but it worked.

Quick Reply: Transmission install write-up?