Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Racing Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Racing Transmission

Ik getting an M6 would be best for road racing situations, but what about an automatic? I'm in the market for an upgraded transmission anyway.

My uses for the transmission would be mainly street, with a few trips to the dragstrip. Tranny would have to hold about 500rwhp. But what I am curious about is the road racing situation. Is there an auto tranny (perferably by FLT) that could support this kind of power at the strip, but that would also let me upshift, and perhaps even downshift manually? And one that was more so designed for this kind of operation? Ik you can do this on a stock 4L60E, but 1. I dont want to break the damn thing because ik its not good for it, and 2. The downshifting and upshifting on the 4L60E lags horribly. Would i need something with a manual valve body? Someone help me shine some light on this!
Old 12-05-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm actually working on something now that would give full manual control over the trans. Pushbutton sequential shifting(like paddle shifters), and manual control over the lockup.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Launching!

Yea a sequential transmission in our cars would defiantely be amazing. My car before this was an Audi A3. It was equipped with their DSG sequential 6 speed transmission. I LOVED the way that thing operated. Ik there is nothing out there similar to that for our cars, however i'm hoping that one of the tranny shops by me, specifically FLT, could chime in on this and maybe give me some options.

Hows the progress going with your transmission? Can you give me more details?
Old 12-05-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

I'm going the same way. If you're running a bigger cam, a stall would be in question, but would probably want something relatively tight. I know with my setup on a stock cam, I'm keeping the stock stall size, but running a large(r) transmission cooler. The main thing that will kill your tranny on any road course or auto-x course is heat. Just manage that and you'll be fine.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's not a complete transmission. It's a controller that will plug inline in the trans harness, and allow you to have full control over the transmision. Sequential shifting via two pushbuttons(one upshift, one downshift), and a toggle to activate the lockup on command.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yank had a full manual controller at one point; I don't know if it is still offered. Manual valve body is probably the way to go.

I'm sure FLT can build a tranny for road racing; just send a PM to Vince.

The biggest issue for road racing is having sufficent cooling capacity because your converter is unlocked for long periods of time with high torque being put through it. An efficent converter is another plus. I'd consider something a little tighter than most max effort drag racing converters would be in order depending upon the course and your gearing.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Yank had a full manual controller at one point; I don't know if it is still offered. Manual valve body is probably the way to go.

I'm sure FLT can build a tranny for road racing; just send a PM to Vince.

The biggest issue for road racing is having sufficent cooling capacity because your converter is unlocked for long periods of time with high torque being put through it. An efficent converter is another plus. I'd consider something a little tighter than most max effort drag racing converters would be in order depending upon the course and your gearing.
Yea I think I will shoot him an E-mail. I will be going through FLT for my transmission needs considering they work through Speed Inc (my local shop) And I have heard nothing but good things about them so I'm sure they will be able to help me out.

Quick Reply: Road Racing Transmission