Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter junked? (to cut and clean or not??)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converter junked? (to cut and clean or not??)

Heres the deal: Installed a Yank SS4000, roughly 25miles later my transmission loses 2nd gear and reverse (it was acting up before the converter, it would occasionally over rev and sometimes would want to take off in second gear). Other than those two gears the tranny acted as normal, and the coverter flashed great and locked up as it should. I had to drive it back to my house after it junked, and even drove it around my neighborhood a couple different times and it never got any worse. We pulled the tranny and checked the fluid and it showed zero signs of metal, or even any metallic looking substance at all. The fluid was dark, but that was it, just dark nothing else. Here's the dilemma, should I feel safe to install this same converter back in my freshly rebuilt tranny, or should I send it back to Yank for a "cut and clean"? I hate the thought of throwing money away on a perfectly good stall if theres nothing wrong with it, but how can I be sure??? To be honest I dont have the extra cash for a cut and clean after this tranny rebuild.

Basically is the converter in danger of malfunctioning if there is anything in it that's smaller than the naked eye to see?
Old 12-29-2007, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Up to you, can you afford to have warranty on trans voided and rebuild trans again if you DON'T do the cut and clean? Locally ATI charges 40 bucks or so to cut and clean.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

If it was only $40 bucks I wouldnt hesitate, but Yank wants $225 for a cut and clean! Plus however much it costs me to ship it there.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

i think it will be fine as long as theres no metal.. i would flush some fluid in and out of it probably until it comes out red.. 225 seems outthere but what do i kno
Old 12-29-2007, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

Talking

When you pulled the trans did you tear it down and inspect it? This will tell you if you NEED to send the converter out to be cleaned. If the clutches or band has dark or black stripes or completely dark, this would be a cause to darken the atf. If the steels or drum has hot spots or gouges streaked into them, this would be a cause that would darken the atf. Friction heat causes trans fluid to darken without the presense of metal. Remember, larger pieces of friction material can cause problems, also. If you don't see any large pieces of friction material, you could try to flush the converter as best you can and rerun it. Personaly, With an exspensive converter and possible exspensive parts in your trans, I would never take the chance. PS, don't forget your solenoids. Buy the AC Delco. The day you're in the finals or hunt down your adversary it will usually bite you in the ***!! How many lunches or packs of cigarettes could you forego to do it right. Good luck.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:01 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 382ssz28
When you pulled the trans did you tear it down and inspect it? This will tell you if you NEED to send the converter out to be cleaned. If the clutches or band has dark or black stripes or completely dark, this would be a cause to darken the atf. If the steels or drum has hot spots or gouges streaked into them, this would be a cause that would darken the atf. Friction heat causes trans fluid to darken without the presense of metal. Remember, larger pieces of friction material can cause problems, also. If you don't see any large pieces of friction material, you could try to flush the converter as best you can and rerun it. Personaly, With an exspensive converter and possible exspensive parts in your trans, I would never take the chance. PS, don't forget your solenoids. Buy the AC Delco. The day you're in the finals or hunt down your adversary it will usually bite you in the ***!! How many lunches or packs of cigarettes could you forego to do it right. Good luck.

Good advice! I suspect by what he has described that his 2-3 clutch pak was on the way out & what he will find is only clutch material. I would STILL play it safe & have it cut & cleaned (and you can have another reputable shop do it...it is $150-$175 locally here to do it) as there is no way to flush a convertor w/out it.

Good Luck!

Last edited by TLewis4095; 12-29-2007 at 07:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-30-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Regular

I didnt tear the tranny down, so I honestly dont know how bad it looks inside. It would royally **** me off to have over a grand in a tranny rebuild just have it ruined by what could've been saved by shelling out another couple hundred bucks. I guess I'll just man up and send it back for the cut and clean, my wife will love me for this one Thanks for the insight fellas. I guess the moral of this post is "Better to be safe than sorry."
Old 12-30-2007, 12:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyjoe
I guess the moral of this post is "Better to be safe than sorry."
Unfortunately it is a necessary evil in this case Joe.

I do not reuse converters without 1st having them cut open for inspection...not even ones I removed and know to be in good shape.

I'm not sure about what all was quoted in the costs you mentioned.

But I understand that your options are limited and dollars are in issue. That's unforturnate.

g

Quick Reply: Converter junked? (to cut and clean or not??)