Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke the trans pump??? Here is how to fix it..

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Installed new converter, now I have no gears...

Same thing just happened to me (same converter too). The shop that was doing the work didn't have the converter on all the way, torqued trans to engine and broke the pump.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:06 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if you knew how to do it, you'd need some tools that cost alot and are on 3-6 month back-order(trans pump puller tool). Just the pump puller and pump aligning tools are $100 each. I don't know how you were planning on pulling that pump and then aligning it back in there. Valve body has to come out completely before the pump is removed. You need to know the locations of every check ball as they will come pouring out. You need to know all the cleranes.

Bottom line, this is not something you can do so just drop off the trans at FLP.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

FLP wants $400 to change the pump. I haven't priced out a pump yet but I read that they were $45.. I assume now that they are somewhat more expensive than that.

Thanks to Ron I have some very great instructions with detailed pictures. I'll be attempting the pump install myself.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:55 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,175 Likes on 764 Posts

I'd look into whether you should flush the system. Any appreciable amount of metal shavings can wipe out the transmission AND the converter.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Pump Puller: with a store bought pump puller one doesn't need to pull the valve body. After looking at one of these pullers I see where a split jaw bearing puller can accomplish the same task.

Pump Alignment Tool: This little gem is nothing more than a 8 1/2" band clamp, and only needed to assemble the pump halves, not for installing the pump into the Trans case. One could easily fab this special tool from some metal flashing and a band clamp if he wanted to rebuild his own pump.

IMHO ... If someone is just installing a rebuilt exchange pump in there own hotrod and has more time that money, well why get all professional about it.

I myself make a living with my tools and have allot universal pullers and such that will do more that one specific task, so these kind of home hobby projects come fairly easy.

I like this technical thread ...... Ron
Old 07-09-2003, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yeah man. Im w/ you.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if the converter was put on the pump and then it was started adn thats when the trans pump took a crap then the metal shavings are more than likely in converter and scattered in transmission. when mine was redone they scattered the parts of transmission and flushed everything. however i dont see and trans pump being that hard to do with the time and instruction. both of which i didnt have on my daily driver
Old 07-10-2003, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pump Puller: with a store bought pump puller one doesn't need to pull the valve body. After looking at one of these pullers I see where a split jaw bearing puller can accomplish the same task.

Pump Alignment Tool: This little gem is nothing more than a 8 1/2" band clamp, and only needed to assemble the pump halves, not for installing the pump into the Trans case. One could easily fab this special tool from some metal flashing and a band clamp if he wanted to rebuild his own pump.

IMHO ... If someone is just installing a rebuilt exchange pump in there own hotrod and has more time that money, well why get all professional about it.

I myself make a living with my tools and have allot universal pullers and such that will do more that one specific task, so these kind of home hobby projects come fairly easy.

I like this technical thread ...... Ron

agreed...i worked at a trans shop for 2 years, and in all honestly if you are in a bind you can pretty much eyeball the 2 halves and it'll work; like i said though if you are in a bind

Keith, its a crapshoot if you want to just replace the pump or if you want to take the whole tranny in. I wish i had some extra time to help ya out but rest asured it isn't any harder than setting up gears.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Trans pump is apart, both rings inside are broken, all parts are accounted for, very few shavings...

I can't thank TA/30th 1002 enough.. He has been helping me via e-mail with pics and lots of documentation. I would never have gotten this far if it wasn't for him..

I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ok, i need 3 replacement parts, both inner rings and that little plastic ring. I'm looking in the parts manual and there are several different sizes available.. different MM widths I believe.. What should I do?

The entire pump rebuild kit costs ~$125.. i don't need all of that.. just what's broken I believe.

Any ideas?
Old 07-20-2003, 03:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Got it working!

I took out the old pump.. took it apart and saw the carnage.. very little metal shavings... took it to FLP and had chuck rebuild it.. got it back the next day and threw it in the car... put it back together that night and was on the streets.

The verter is unreal! The car is movin now much more than it was before.

I'll be posting pics on the web page soon for others who have similar problems. Removing the trans pump isn't that difficult. Saves labor $$$ and you can just rebuild yourself or have it done.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ttt
Old 07-31-2003, 09:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

*bump*
Old 05-03-2008, 08:38 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks: Your page helped me confirm my idea for a pump puller. (I was thinking of trying one of two existing 2-jaw OTC pullers and a bearing separator; stuff I already use on T56 builds.

Quick Reply: Broke the trans pump??? Here is how to fix it..