Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

converter burn out

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default converter burn out

alright guys.. was just wondering if anyone knew for certain..

I put about 25 miles on my car daily... i just bought a VIG 4000 stall.. someone told me that i would burn the stall up..??? that true...

is there anything else i should worry about hurting??

i AM putting a trans cooler in it.. anything would be appreciated.. thanks a lot

also anybody else doing this?? i will be running is with headers ls6 intake a BFG drs...
Old 02-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are they basing this idea on?
I put 25 miles a day on my car each way with a Yank SS4000 and I'm doing fine. As long as you have a tranny cooler and otherwise healthy transmission, you should be fine. Yank and Vig's street converters are intended to be driven daily and are built accordingly.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

If the PWM function of lock-up has not been disabled then extra abuse is being put on the lock-up clutch. I'm not saying it will fail but it is very hard on it and definitely shortens the life of the clutch. Other than that there is no reason why you can't daily drive a Precision Industries (or Yank) stall converter.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

only thing to really burn up would be your trans due to not having a cooler on it, then again its winter so i would probably be ok. Get the cooler on it though and a trans temp gague would be a good investment.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

alright.. guy is pretty much a friggen idiot... but i just wanted to make sure i didnt want to drop to a 3200 or something.. yea im going to spend the extra 20 dollars on a cooler.. would be dumb not to.. bought a 4000 vig rebuilt in a box for just under 350 bucks from a ls1 buddy... that is good right?? andi m doing install myself
Old 02-06-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

he was saying that that is probably why it had to be rebuilt in the first place...... but i figured he was wrong.. so idk... im going to be putting it in next weekend.. when i get my BFGs... going to the track this sunday while im stock.. looking for 8.6 and 84..
Old 02-06-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

the only time they usually get rebuilt is 1.the trans took a dump,converter needs to be cleaned out. 2. It could have been re-stalled meaning the stall speed was changed on it.3.Could have just been a freshen up, meaning it was taken apart,inspected so the owner has basically a fresh converter to sell to someone else. 4 the clutch in the convert was bad or something broke inside it.

i would bet it was a freshen up so he could sell it to someone basically as new..

oh ask your oh so great friend what a stall is/does and how it drives compaired to stock. Just courious as to what he is going to tell you. Bet i know the answer he is going to give you lol..

oh and you should do quite a bit better than 8.6 in the 1/8 mph might drop depending on how efficient the converter is.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
the only time they usually get rebuilt is 1.the trans took a dump,converter needs to be cleaned out. 2. It could have been re-stalled meaning the stall speed was changed on it.3.Could have just been a freshen up, meaning it was taken apart,inspected so the owner has basically a fresh converter to sell to someone else. 4 the clutch in the convert was bad or something broke inside it.

i would bet it was a freshen up so he could sell it to someone basically as new..

oh ask your oh so great friend what a stall is/does and how it drives compaired to stock. Just courious as to what he is going to tell you. Bet i know the answer he is going to give you lol..

oh and you should do quite a bit better than 8.6 in the 1/8 mph might drop depending on how efficient the converter is.
im hoping for 8.6 @ 84 with just free mods lid and slp loudmouth.. car is baseically stock.. i dont get my converter back til next week and get my BFGs in next week also... then im hoping for close to a 8 flat...

Last edited by lemons12; 11-10-2008 at 12:43 AM.