Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance 4L80e rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Performance 4L80e rebuild

This kinda goes along with my last thread. I just installed my 4L80e about 4000 miles ago. Well, she broke. I am not going to go to the guy who did it originally and will be going to a more local shop to get the transmission rebuilt.

I am going to be going with a full manual valvebodied shift kit so I don't have to mess with the 98-99pcm changeover and I can get rid of the toggle switches I have been using for gear shifts. Which kit should I get? Should I go with a transgo kit? What about the Quadzilla shift kit from transmissioncenter.net? Is there a different kit out there that would be better?

What hardparts should I upgrade? Would the OEM's be a foolish move? I plan on this car remaining at 500hp/480tqish levels, no N20 or power adders are planned. This car is a daily driver.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call me tomorrow. We help folks with these conversions all the time!

If your local builder cannot offer you a turnkey solution for your transmission STOP!!!!! Do not take one more move in his direction. You are asking waaaay too many questions that need to be answered by the folks who are going to do the repairs. I appreciate you coming here to learn. But you are looking at an expensive proposition that needs to be done right this time.

Save yourself a huge hassle and give me a call! I work with folks out of Ok. all the time. Let me help you determine the best course of action for your car. It's what we do.

g
Old 02-07-2008, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would definately let one of the sponsors here help you so you get a sweet setup that works well this time.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

I am not going to buy a new transmission. This is a fresh 4L80e swap, I just dropped more money than I care to speak of on a motor/trans build/swap and do not really feel like dropping 3k for a new transmission, I am just wanting to rebuild this one.

I do not want a new transmission, I would just like to know what shift kit to go with and what, if any, hard parts I should upgrade. Thanks
Old 02-08-2008, 01:36 PM
FormerVendor

Pretty sure I did not say anything about selling you a transmission. What you need is a professional who can offer you options you may not be aware of.

Give me a call, I am certain we can find a Win/Win solution for you.

g
Old 02-09-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

*edited out sponsor name*
I appreciate the posts and the PMs, however, I am looking for a professional, albeit local, shop. I have a two week time frame and a budget. I really do appreciate the help and guidance the sponsors offer the members of this site, however, there are times when a local solution is more logistic from a financial/time standpoint than a reputable, out-of-state shop.

That being said, I am not really in the market for a fix by a sponsor. I have a shop I plan on using and am just doing some research. I know the saying 'a reputable shop will be able to tell you what you need', but, as a med student I am also aware that one should not be offended when a patient goes to another doctor for a second opinion.

So if there are any sponsors or members willing to help, it would be so greatly appreciated. All I really need to know if what factory parts of the 4L80e should be upgraded to safely live in the 500/500 rwhp/tq range.

I am not asking anyone for a parts/shopping list, their own personal setup or a list of the most expensive parts. I would just like to know if clutches, sprags and the addition of a shift kit is enough for my needs, or if there are any other upgrades I should consider.

I did not intend for this post to come across as rude if it did, I really do appreciate all the help anyone is able to offer. I just wanted to be clear that I already have a shop lined up and am simply looking for information. Thanks again

Last edited by SVT THIS; 02-12-2008 at 02:06 PM. Reason: took out sponsors name
Old 02-09-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

From the research I've done, the plain jane HD rebuild kit along with the shift kit will be fine for your needs... supposedly they should hold 700rwhp fine almost stock.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HydroStream6
From the research I've done, the plain jane HD rebuild kit along with the shift kit will be fine for your needs... supposedly they should hold 700rwhp fine almost stock.

Yup this is what my research tells me talking toi first hand experince beating on these things. Building mine at a local shop with basic rebuild kit, shift kit, upgraded clutches, etc.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Like is mentioned above just a good rebuild kit and a transgo shift kit should hanlde what your doing , You can get special drum for a aftermarket intermediate sprag but they are quite exspensive and some other parts but I think in your case they are not needed. Any trans 4L60E or 4L80E can fail thats a fact, But in your case likley a parts just gave way assuming it was a used unit, You have to remember these trans were used in truck pulling 10000 pounds and more when they are in a car they really do not have to work that hard even at high power levels. The mistake is to think they never fail. I know in my own shop I built more than a few that were in HD trucks used for comercial heavy duty. Like anything mechancal parts do give way. But they are tough as nails . Get a good rebuild kit, Replace the roller clutch and sprag assemblies with new OEM and get the TRANSGO kit stay on the lighter side on the shift firmness and you should have a HOSS.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-10-2008, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

Like said above, th 80 should live in your application in stock form. I went with a basic rebuild kit with alto red eagle clutches, replaced all the bushings, went with kolene (sp?) steels, and the stock high-energy bands, stock hard parts.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by performabuilt
You can get special drum for a aftermarket intermediate sprag but they are quite exspensive and some other parts but I think in your case they are not needed.
What drum would that be? I'm just wondering seriously not trying to be an ***.
I've had quite a few of these apart and never seen one that didn't have a 34 element sprag type direct drum in it.
Also bought several of these drums from hartparts suppliers for th400's and they were always 34 element.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

(This is taken from a non sponsors website so I have removed any info directing to there, But this is the drum I was speaking of but I dont think anything like this is needed for his application There were pictures to but WAYYYYY to big and I dont feel like resizing them )

"When researching or shopping around for a GM4L80E transmission or parts you will commonly come across the description "high performance 34 element sprag and drum assembly".This is a factory part that was used in the early GMTH400 transmissions as well as all GM4L80E transmissions.It does have its drawbacks.This factory issue part gets in trouble at 750 horsepower/750 foot pounds of torque,especially in drag cars with a transbrake or manual valve body that uses a fixed high line pressure.As a matter of fact this is usually the only item that needs to be periodically replaced on most properly race prepped GM4L80E transmissions.When the sprag fails the transmission will no longer have second gear.Are you tired of intermediate sprag failures and the maintenance and down time they cause? Our in house CNC machined Super Comp Direct Drum and Oversize Sprag Assembly is the answer. This custom drum assembly is fitted with oversize tool steel inner and and outer sprag races ,an oversize 36 element sprag assembly,and a custom sprag retaining plate and spiral lock ring.Special machining of the outer race delivers a constant supply of lube oil to the sprag assembly. All this translates into a drum that can handle up to 2000 horsepower/2000 foot pounds of torque reliably.Due to the larger outer sprag race this assembly comes with custom set of 4 intermediate frictions,4 intermediate steels,a modified pressure plate and a heavy duty snap ring. "

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-10-2008, 11:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

Hope this answers your PM OP

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-12-2008, 12:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
Thanks performabuilt and the others, all i was looking for was information and you all got me what I needed. I know it can take a bit of time to dig up stuff like some of you did and I appreciate it. Hopefully this rebuild will go smoothly.
If you need anything just holler , Its not all about selling , If it looked like you were in the market then sure I would give it a shot but thats not what you ask for. And certainly not what I am all about as many many people I have helped will tell you .
Good luck with your build.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-12-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

I deleted a bunch of posts. Ya'll play nice in the sandbox.

Quick Reply: Performance 4L80e rebuild