Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Converter education

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 04:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my circle D converter with a Performabuilt Stage 2 4l60e, installed em afew weeks ago. just turned 601 miles on the combo this morning on my way home from work. Ive walked through Circle D ( chris's) shop and was very impressed. Alot of extra dollar was paid because i saw what kind of quality theyre devoted to. I also saw his CNC mill for making the billet front faces.

I have zero vibrations whatsoever. Conveter lockup is a rather jolting feel, like the tranny just changed gears. Honestly i freakin love it. lockup and gear changes are quick and positive, stall is rite where chris said it is, daily driving manners are fantastic. I gave a female friend a ride and she couldnt tell the difference at all.

Bottom line? Spend the money get the good ****. I saved for 6 months with a broken Camaro in the garage to get quality stuff and it was worth every penny.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
I just bought my circle D converter with a Performabuilt Stage 2 4l60e, installed em afew weeks ago. just turned 601 miles. Conveter lockup is a rather jolting feel, like the tranny just changed gears.
I have a Circle D as well, the lock up is rather harsh at first, but with mine it smoothed out around 800 to 1000 miles. Now it feels exactly like a shift, not too harsh, not weak at all.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:52 AM
12 Second Club

nice post i know where my money is going converter wise
Old 04-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

The harsh lock-up is because PWM is eliminated and the grippy clutch material. PWM "pulses" lock-up so it won't be jarring, but it's hell on clutches. With your set-up your lock up is 100% or zero.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RevGTO
The harsh lock-up is because PWM is eliminated and the grippy clutch material. PWM "pulses" lock-up so it won't be jarring, but it's hell on clutches. With your set-up your lock up is 100% or zero.
Yea, but it's more "grippy" when it's new.
I have no PWM and would consider the lock up harsh, when it seats in after a few hundred miles it becomes more tolerable. It's about equal to a good 1-2, 2-3 shift.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002CAMAROSSLS1T56
Yea, but it's more "grippy" when it's new. I have no PWM and would consider the lock up harsh, when it seats in after a few hundred miles it becomes more tolerable. It's about equal to a good 1-2, 2-3 shift.
I know - I've got the same deal. Funny though, lock-up with my Yank SS3600 seems softer than it was with my old TCI 3000. With the TCI, on and off the brake at freeway speeds was very jerky as the converter unlocked and relocked.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Banned

Any pics of balance correction?
The only indication I've seen are plates welded on like OEM, TCI, and B&M, and others.
I've used converters that are supposedly balanced, but have no indication, no extra weld bead, no weight removed, nothing.
So how is weight added or subtracted to balance a converter?
No comment as usual, typical of the converter builders.

If you know your job an explaination would be very easy and brief. An 'I don't know' isn't as bad as a no reply.
A ne reply is IMO a "we don't really do it" or "we don't give a **** just place you order"
Old 04-04-2009, 08:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Actually I did comment and will further. However I need to get with my converter guy at the shop hopefully next weekend and we are going to make some pictures and videos and more.
I am indeed a trans guy not a converter guy but unfortunatley our converter guy well hes not as vocal as I am. LOL But for now I will say coming soon!

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-05-2009, 10:22 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No comment as usual, typical of the converter builders.

If you know your job an explaination would be very easy and brief. An 'I don't know' isn't as bad as a no reply.
A ne reply is IMO a "we don't really do it" or "we don't give a **** just place you order"

All YANK converter are balanced!!!
all internal parts are balanced before assembly (turbine,stator,clutch)most builders do not balance these items before assembly only the total converter.

You will note that on YANK converters we use a small weld on plate to adjust the total balance correction of the completed unit.

Yank has the same expensive balancer that GM ,Ford and Chry. have in there converter labs as this was requiered, before Yank was allowed as a supplier to work under contract on converter special projects.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yank
All YANK converter are balanced!!!
all internal parts are balanced before assembly (turbine,stator,clutch)most builders do not balance these items before assembly only the total converter.

You will note that on YANK converters we use a small weld on plate to adjust the total balance correction of the completed unit.

Yank has the same expensive balancer that GM ,Ford and Chry. have in there converter labs as this was requiered, before Yank was allowed as a supplier to work under contract on converter special projects.
I wonder what the other builders here do.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

The reason for NO COMMENT was WE were at the TRACK TESTING 3 NEW CONVERTERS. We do test our product not use you for a test bed!!!. And hell I did this all while it being my anniversary.

The converter weight is done by adding weights to the part being balanced.They are wellded on.The weights are samll peices of steel they weigh specific amounts.I will post pics on MON if you like. Many converters do not need weight. If you balance the internals as I spoke of before and the impeller hub is installed on center then it is possible to not have to add weight.

As far as do we (GIVE A **** JUST PLACE YOUR ORDER). I think my reputation of customer service speaks for itself. If you would like send me a PM with your Phone # and I will contact you right now.In fact I will send you a PM.

THE (EXPENSIVE BALANCER). I would think that the sponsors on this board would all have (EXPENSIVE BALANCERS) in ther shop. We do however balance the turbine and clutch and stator before assembly. I can post pics of this as well on mon. I would assume that other quality companies (Circle D,PI,and youself Yank) would know to balance internals.I can only speak for my company as I do not have a crystal ball to know wether on not other companies do this. Not trying to start a war.

GREG
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Last edited by FTICONVERTERS; 04-05-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

20020camaro,

I sent you my cell # in a PM.

Greg
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com

Old 04-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FTICONVERTERS
20020camaro,

I sent you my cell # in a PM.

Greg
My intentions were to get all builders to chime in, asking politely does not seem to work.
Don't give a ****, just place your order , it seems to help get replies.

You seem kind of mad, I don't want to lose hearing in my ear and not get a word in.
I will be happy to come up and take a shop tour. Like I said though I already have a converter so I'm not looking to buy at this time. (although I do have another car, so it's not impossible)
Old 04-05-2009, 04:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The converter is a bit of a mystery to most and I guess as converter manufacturers we are not doing our job of thoroughly explaining all that we do. As FTI, Performabuilt and Yank have stated. All of us have expensive balancers to properly build converters. The proper way is to balance the internal pieces separately and then as a whole. Like FTI said, most do not require a weight, but some may need a 5-10 grams welded to the outside of the converter. It is basically the same way the OE does it. We use a balancer from TCRS. Torque Converter Rebuilding Systems.

Hope this helps some,
Chris

Last edited by Circle-D; 04-06-2009 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Not mad at all. Sorry it came across that way.Your are more than welcome to come and take a tour of our facility and see what we do.

Greg
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com

Old 04-25-2010, 02:06 AM
On The Tree

Wating to see the result of the circile d converter in my buddyes 73 camaro twin turbo . And the 114mm turbo TA
Old 05-26-2010, 11:13 AM

I have GM Big Shot 12LS, is it any good? I have a 3.73 rear gear ratio that I don't really care for and want to downsize to 3.23, will it still work with it? I have a mild cam.

Here are the specs:

GM Big Shot 12LS

This converter is primarily used in Street Rods that are slightly modified and always street driven. The Big Shot 12LS is an excellent converter for long distance cruising with mild performance increases, good lockup, and minimal MPG loss. This slightly higher than stock converter produces good idling with mild street rod designed cam shafts. Rear ratios should be in the range of 3.23 to 3.73.

Stall speed range: 2000-2400 rpms.

• New pump hub
• New bearing between stator and pump
• Computer balanced and pressure leak tested
• Rebuilt sprag assembly
• Pump and turbine fins tig spot welded for extra strength
• Competitively priced
Old 07-15-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

it would be nice to see REVMAX chime in. i have their billet covered 3200 stall thats doing me pretty good so far. id just like them to say a work on this since they are a sponsor. i love mine but i here so many un-tested claims against them even though those that have used them have had great success like me. Lets here it REVMAX.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive been considering a revmax. For my build.
This thread.has much useful info. I have zero clue to picking out an appropriate converter.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i was considering a RevMax for my 4L80 conversion but they didn't offer one and after reviews i decided on a Circle-D from Chris. The 4L60 in the car had a Yank3500 but since i'm doing the 4L80 conversion i decided to give another brand a try. I still do love the Yanks but the price for the 4L80 conversion Circle-D was the big selling point. It was a killer deal

Quick Reply: Torque Converter education