Sponsored by:

TransGo shift kit questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TransGo shift kit questions

1998 GMC Jimmy, 4.3L, 4x4, 4L60E.

I'm having problems with my torque convertor locking up, it wont stay locked very well at anything under 50mph. I found a service bulletin about the TCC lockup valve in the valve body leaking because the valve body wore out a little.

I also found that the kit from transgo solved this problem with an oversize valve.

http://www.transgo.com/4L60E-4L65E-4L75E.htm

I was wondering what else it does (I know it firms up, and makes shifts quicker)
as far as the parts go.

How do you all like it? I am planning on having a my private mechanic install it if he has experience, or maybe a local shop. What would it cost, other than the price of the kit, and a fluid/filter change (so only labor) to have it installed? I don't want to do this myself, as I am extremely leery about transmissions.

also, what is the difference between the aforementioned kit, and this one?:

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-035935hd2.htm

Last edited by dshannon; 02-18-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Teching In

bumpity bump, can anyone help me?
Old 02-19-2008, 09:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well. A search here would yield massive amounts of very recent and relative information to your questions.

As far as the kit and your "local" builder or transmission shop. See this thread before you make your decision. It might save you some grief.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/863824-exner-4l60e.html

That transmission is on my bench as I type this.

As far as the symptom... What repairs have been done to the vehicle recently if any?

How many miles are on the transmission / converter?

g
Old 02-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Teching In

I sent you an e-mail tonight Ratchthed, I put more info in there, but I will reply here too.

106,000 miles on the original trans/convertor. I just had my engine replaced, spun crank bearing is what the shop said. The trans started doing this prior to the engine swap though. The 1-2 shift is very firm most of the time, all other shifts normal feeling. When I get into 4th, and I'm still below 50mph or so and on level, or downhill, the TCC will lock just fine, but if I am going uphill, even slightly, the TCC will constantly lock, unlock, lock, unlock, ect. over an over, and I watch my rpm bounce up and down like a pogo stick. I shift down into 3rd when this starts to keep things kosher and from burning up.

oh, and btw, I dont race this truck at all, just to and from school/work, and a bit of towing now and then, nothing hard core at all.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:18 PM
FormerVendor

Well the issue could easily be related to a pressure loss... similar to what is described in the TSB you referrenced.

The reason I say that is because at 50 mph and below you are most likely at a low throttle pressure and that has a direct relation to Line Pressure... or converter clutch pressure feed.

It really needs to be diagnosed by a Pro.

I'll check the e-mail. Thatnks for the heads up.

g
Old 02-19-2008, 10:33 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Sorry not to get back to you sooner. I did get an email handed to me the other day at the shop and just opened one here at home from you. The issue might be a worn out valve body if I had to guess. The transgo JR kit is the one for you. I would probably not get to crazy with the kit but it will work for your needs. Like you said this is a driver not a racer! Also if I was you I would recommend replacing the accumulator pistons and also get a new separator plate. With the mileage on the trans it is a crap shoot but it might buy you some time. Hope this helps. Vince
Old 02-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Teching In

thanks for the reply, and yes it is at light throttle when this happens, so that is my guess. So my plan is to just install a shift kit from TransGo, since the rest of the trans seems fine, it shouldnt hurt, as long as its installed correctly.

does anyone know the difference between the two kits?

http://www.transgo.com/4L60E-4L65E-4L75E.htm

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-035935hd2.htm

any insight is appreciated, I'm going to do this soon so I dont burn something up. Tommorow I will try calling around to see what a few shops in the area have to say about it.

Dan
Old 02-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Teching In

ahhh, vince, you beat me to the post! I will look up the Jr kit now. I just want this trans to get me through college, or at least till next summer or so. Me and a few guys from the county hospital Emergency Room are taking a trip to canada this august, and will be taking my truck, if the transmission is still good.

Soo the TransGo JR shift
all new accumulator pistons (not sure what they do)
new seperator plate

I will try and find a link for the shift kit, unless you have a source (I would even order from you also)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4L60E...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-20-2008, 06:43 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

I can get all the part that you will need. Give us a call. Vince
Old 02-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Restricted User

Default The 4l60-e junior kit is

A great fix for the trans. You'll want to add a new Tv boost valve as well. Sonnax makes them in .470 or .490 {diam}. This will help with the lack of line rise along with the trans go {co} junior kit.

Mike.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Thanks Vince, I wish I lived in Chicago now, I would just buy a new trans, but I'm a poor starving nursing student in Ohio. Your site looks great, you two seem to really know your stuff. I will give you a call when I find someone who can install the parts for me.

Dan
Old 02-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Teching In

i blew my tranny with the shift kit a month into my buy and when it was fixed i blew it 3 days later haha totally sucked, but sence i had a 3 year warranty on it i called the place up, they refixed it and gave it back without the shiftkit haha, and said if i throw another one on it voids the warranty...
Old 02-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Teching In

ps where in ohio? im a nursing student at bgsu, by toledo
Old 02-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Teching In

I go to Kent State University, Salem Regional Campus. Ive got a friend in the nursing school at Toledo U. Nice campus.

BGSU= bowling green? ive heard good things about them