Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans damage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans damage?

I just went to drive my car and got an powertrain checklight. It isn't giving any trouble codes but something is clearly wrong with the 4L60E.

I fitted a Transgo HD2-C kit 4 months ago and have had no probs. Went to the drags the other night and copped 14 passes but has been fine up until I drove it today. The problem didn't come on gradually but was good when I drove it then I parked for 1 hour and it was stuffed as soon as I turned it on

It won't take off in D just revs and travels very very slowly, only takes off in 3rd or 2nd but clunks when shifting between those gears. 1st is much more serious, the more I press the accelerator the more the trans feels like it is seizing up. I only did that for a couple of seconds and just felt like damage was being done.

Reverse is all good and if I push it in 2nd it acts normally except doesn't want to go to 3rd smoothly.

The fluid got a slight burnt smell to it after about 6miles af cautious driving since the problem occured.

Advice please? What am I looking at and is it safe to limp it to a mechanic. Could this be an electronic issue because I degreased the engine bay last night and maybe shorted a sensor

Help
Old 03-02-2008, 05:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

First it does sound like your in limp mode and since you have the transgo kit do not place the selector in manaual 1 as it will infact be binding up since with that kit you would be in 1st and 3rd at the same time and you will quickly burn up the 3-4 clutch set.

Its ok to drive to the mechanic in D driving gently. You may want to check fuses also.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-02-2008, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by performabuilt
First it does sound like your in limp mode and since you have the transgo kit do not place the selector in manaual 1 as it will infact be binding up since with that kit you would be in 1st and 3rd at the same time and you will quickly burn up the 3-4 clutch set.

Its ok to drive to the mechanic in D driving gently. You may want to check fuses also.
That explains the 1st bind up. Possibly electronic? Let's hope so. Thanks for ur reply, appreciate it.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Do you have a stall converter and does the trans return to normal once you turn switch off and then back ok ?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-02-2008, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Do you have a stall converter and does the trans return to normal once you turn switch off and then back ok ?
Nah it's an untouched trans other than the shift kit at this stage and yes u r right, it goes back to normal after i switch the car off. B4 it even went through the gears correctly until I stabbed it and just went to limp home again
Old 03-02-2008, 08:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I would just change the solenoid and see what happens.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-02-2008, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

I would just change the solenoid and see what happens.
Will do, thanks
Old 03-02-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

So what type of fluid do i use.lol jk.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:54 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Being that you decreased the engine bay. Did the trans screw up before you did this or after? If after check your fuses. Also are you getting any check engine lights or codes? This might help us diagnose this better. Vince
Old 03-03-2008, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by A502slo
So what type of fluid do i use.lol jk.
Brake fluid LOL

OK we're equal now quit it hahaha
Old 03-03-2008, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Being that you decreased the engine bay. Did the trans screw up before you did this or after? If after check your fuses. Also are you getting any check engine lights or codes? This might help us diagnose this better. Vince
Yeah, I degreased it last night and took it for a short drive after......no probs.

This morning drove to the local with no probs again but after I came back to the car as soon as I tried to move it was in limp home mode dammit.

It was showing the powertrain warning light. As performer hit on, when I turn the car off it resets the light most times until I try to move away.

I checked the fuses under the dash and in the engine bay and none seemed to be faulty. Relays...that's a different story (can't visibly check?) but I don't think the relays act on the trans anyways???

I am going to start with fitting a Raptor 2-3 shift solenoid in the morning and see how it goes from there
Old 03-03-2008, 06:13 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

I would first like to know what codes it is producing before throwing parts at it. How do you know that it is a 2-3 solenoid?
Old 03-03-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

try cleaning the PCM connectors and the connector at the transmission it self. Occasionally I get a poor running f-body in with corroded connections and or water intrusion after a good washing.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
I would first like to know what codes it is producing before throwing parts at it. How do you know that it is a 2-3 solenoid?
On the Australian models we use an interface scan tool called "TechII" which displays all paremeters and trouble codes from the on board diagnostics and settings in the ECU. The scan tool clearly stated "2-3 shift solenoid failure". The thing is it still shifted through the gears properly once since the limp home mode was activated?

Luckily I have a friend that has one so I can hook into it anytime. Problem is he doesn't know transmissions that well.

It seems too easy to me and abit suss. I fitted all new solenoids a month ago so I am concerned it is something in the valve body.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1curious
try cleaning the PCM connectors and the connector at the transmission it self. Occasionally I get a poor running f-body in with corroded connections and or water intrusion after a good washing.
Do you mean the main loom connector next to the servo cover on the trans? Will look at it when I fit the solenoid.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

All fixed.

Turns out when I fitted the new valve body with shift kit I under torqued the two 8mm bolts on the manifold pressure switch plate.

Today when I dropped the pan there were the bolts on the magnet

I checked the resistance of all the solenoids while I was there and they all checked out o.k. 25ohms or whatever it was but all the same.

I swapped the shift solenoids over to rule them out too but all is well now.

Thanks for the input fellas. This forum is a big help.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mine is having similar problems and was wondering if a car wash may have done it. should i check the pcm and trans connections?
Old 03-09-2008, 04:00 AM
On The Tree

Alright, a week after I supposedly fixed the issue the trans is acting up again!

When I am at WOT in 2nd going for 3rd it seems to rev limit b4 the shift to 3rd repeatedly. I haven't pushed it to se if it will reach 3rd due to fear of damaging some hard parts but there is certainly an issue.

My stock rev limit is 5400rpm and it starts to muck up at about 3800rpm and goes to shift to 3rd early then goes back into 2nd back into 3rd back into 2nd etc.... Nothing rough is happening like jerking movements but it is jumping between 2nd and 3rd at an alarming rate and it feels like the convertor isn't quite grabbing at any time during this fiasco.

Suggestions? I am wishing I never touched the box at all. It has a DIY HD2-C kit with all billet accumulators except the 2nd one which is OEM Alloy. All new solenoids and a service just last week. I can't get to a scan tool for 2 days so any tips in the mean time are appreciated.

Last edited by chargedvx6; 03-09-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

exactly what mine does. i have a moster kit in mine.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:59 PM
FormerVendor

Charged----- Your 3/4 clutches are toasted.

It is time to have it rebuilt by someone who has the knowledge and expertise to hanldle it. Don't feel bad... lot's of professional builders who are good at what they do cannot build a 4l60E that can handle decent powerplants.

Good Luck dude,

g