Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever use a Monster torque converter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008 | 03:56 PM
Launching!

by economical do you mean cheap parts and will break in a year cuz if so I can get one of those for $80...
just went through that.
Let me know what you can do for 3000 stall, good stator, torrington bearings, brazed fins and such, with anti-balloon plates (with Lock-up). PM me. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2008 | 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

Here's exploded pic of Circle D Verter:

I don't have any experience with them but they did a writeup here when they first became a sponsor that was fairly detailed as to the construction of their verters.

My first verter was a Midwest 3400 - never had a problem with it, but needed higher stall so went with Yank. The Yank is a noticeable improvement over the Midwest

I would say the TCI verter is probably on same level as the Midwest as far as quality goes - at least from what I have read.
Old 03-13-2008 | 01:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Circle-D
What stall speed are you looking for. I offer a 3000 LS1 for $350. Great economical converter.

Chris
well????

BTW, I called Speed Inc. and I was gonna order a TCI but the guy WOULD NOT let me! He kept telling me to get the Vigilante...basically would not let me buy the TCI and made them sound like horrid crap so I guess I'll order mine somwhere else.
Old 03-13-2008 | 05:06 AM
10 Second Club

I've had 2 TCI converters and cant say anything bad about them. Of course I dont think I can comment on long term durability because in 8 years I've owned 7 converters lol
Old 03-13-2008 | 07:41 AM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

This thread came to mind when you mentioned Speed Inc wouldn't sell you a TCI.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...534&highlight=
Old 03-13-2008 | 07:50 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
Here's exploded pic of Circle D Verter:

I don't have any experience with them but they did a writeup here when they first became a sponsor that was fairly detailed as to the construction of their verters.

My first verter was a Midwest 3400 - never had a problem with it, but needed higher stall so went with Yank. The Yank is a noticeable improvement over the Midwest

I would say the TCI verter is probably on same level as the Midwest as far as quality goes - at least from what I have read.

The converter pictured here is my custom 9.75" Billet version. It has everything you need and more, but priced a little higher than you wanted, $700. The converter I suggested is an 11", with upgraded internals. If you are looking for something that will hold some serious HP, it simply costs more.

Chris
Old 03-13-2008 | 09:02 AM
Launching!

well im not running 600+hp here... i prob. have maybe..MAYBE 500 with the spray and I dont use it all the time like a crazy person. Ive only went through two bottles in two years... would it hold that?
Old 03-13-2008 | 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackZ28629
well????

BTW, I called Speed Inc. and I was gonna order a TCI but the guy WOULD NOT let me! He kept telling me to get the Vigilante...basically would not let me buy the TCI and made them sound like horrid crap so I guess I'll order mine somwhere else.
I deal with Speed, and they were trying to save you from having problems down the road. But if you know better, than buy a cheap converter and roll the dice.
Old 03-13-2008 | 04:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
I deal with Speed, and they were trying to save you from having problems down the road. But if you know better, than buy a cheap converter and roll the dice.
trying to save me trouble or make more commission? hmmm.....
either way I see that the more expensive converters are better built but have never heard of their longevity or durability for any amount of time...
Old 03-13-2008 | 11:03 PM
10 Second Club

I just bought a circle D converter, granted it is a little heavier duty than you are looking for, it is there 4.5c . It footbrakes right at 3000 and flash's around 5000, but on the street, it drives almost like stock, till you give it gas it is everything chris at circle d said it would be and i will be taking it to the track in a couple days.
Thumbs up to circle D
Old 03-14-2008 | 01:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
I don't think commission is even a factor here.

Looking at your mods, a good converter is going to be a huge improvement if you carefully select the right converter.

You don't normally hear about quality converters lasting longer, you hear about inferior converters coming apart and taking out the transmission with it.

You may want to just go with the Dacco and save the extra $$$ for the new transmission you may or may not need

It seems you have been given plenty of quality advice on the subject with mutliple options, yet you seem to want to negatively disect the helpful responses.

G/L with which ever choice you make.
please.... my good friend owns a trans shop and he built my trans...im not at all worried about it breaking cuz he'll fix it if its broke. Here's what I dont want: a $700 converter that only lasts a year.
I really believe in quality and maybe you've got me all wrong. Im not trying to be cheap, Im simply trying to get info. Im now thinking about a Circle D. It looks good and sounds good...
Old 03-14-2008 | 07:16 AM
11 Second Club

How many $700 converters have you seen fail within one year? I frequent the auto section daily and it might happen once in a blue moon. Many, many members have been running Yanks, Vigs, Fuddles, TCI's, etc for years without any problems. Some brands tend to have more problems than others, but most seem to last longer than the tranny.
Old 03-14-2008 | 12:33 PM
Launching!

well I've never owned one, so I guess none; that is why I am asking.
Old 03-14-2008 | 01:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by URLOSN
I just bought a circle D converter, granted it is a little heavier duty than you are looking for, it is there 4.5c . It footbrakes right at 3000 and flash's around 5000, but on the street, it drives almost like stock, till you give it gas it is everything chris at circle d said it would be and i will be taking it to the track in a couple days.
Thumbs up to circle D
That's good to hear. I almost ordered that one, and changed my mind at the last minute to a 5C for my new setup. Chris is a nice guy and was very helpful. I can't wait to hit the track this year.
Old 03-14-2008 | 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

well I've never owned one, so I guess none; that is why I am asking.
If you buy a quality converter, it will last for more than one year. Like I mentioned earlier, Yank's come with a 3-year warranty. You want quality, you want it to last....so buy a Yank or a Vig and forget about it. Yes they cost more, but they are also more efficient, constructed of better materials, and proven many times over.
Old 03-14-2008 | 05:42 PM
Launching!

I THINK you guys have talked me into it
Im almost set on an SS3600 or SS4000 YANK seeing as they have a 3 year warranty. Thanks again for everyone's input. Oh and I looked at Dacco's site and the same torque converter table that is found in Monster's site is there too. It's identical lol So we have accomplished a lot here in this thread! I learned a lot about converters and how they are made, and we all learned that if anyone else almost gets sucked into overpaying for a Dacco converter from that company that we can tell them: DONT DO IT!!
I think Im gonna go with the SS3600...

Last edited by BlackZ28629; 03-14-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-14-2008 | 08:34 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by URLOSN
Thumbs up to circle D
Thanks for the compliments, and be sure to let us know how it performs at the track!!!

Chris
Old 03-14-2008 | 08:37 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
That's good to hear. I almost ordered that one, and changed my mind at the last minute to a 5C for my new setup. Chris is a nice guy and was very helpful. I can't wait to hit the track this year.
Thank you as well, Keep us updated on the numbers and you might want to get some slicks

Chris
Old 03-14-2008 | 08:44 PM
FormerVendor

I THINK you guys have talked me into it
Im almost set on an SS3600 or SS4000 YANK seeing as they have a 3 year warranty. Thanks again for everyone's input. Oh and I looked at Dacco's site and the same torque converter table that is found in Monster's site is there too. It's identical lol So we have accomplished a lot here in this thread! I learned a lot about converters and how they are made, and we all learned that if anyone else almost gets sucked into overpaying for a Dacco converter from that company that we can tell them: DONT DO IT!!
I think Im gonna go with the SS3600...
I am glad you decided to step it up a level and get a good converter, you will notice a huge difference. I also make a 2C or 3C that is a very street-able converter, it sounds like what you want. Let me know if interested, this is the converter pictured a few posts back.

Chris
Old 03-17-2008 | 09:07 PM
Launching!

well, i ordered a YankSS3600 today and I feel pretty dang good about it. I watched some vids with them in cars and also did a little digging. Even GM High Tech Performer likes em...cant wait to get it into the car!!! Thanks to all for the encouragement and for helping me snap out of dumb-*** mode...

Quick Reply: Anyone ever use a Monster torque converter?