Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Th400 Trans failure.... Pics inside WTF Happened?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rock-On
theres nothing in your pics that indicate high pressure, These parts are pushing over thirty years use, build up the unit and reinstall, this plate breaking is common. Don't get confused with cast iron parts vs. alum parts. These units will handle 300 psi where the 60e's won't. Thats what makes for a good hard launch, but i really doubt you have a hi pressue problem. Hope this helps Dave
So, you guys are back???

Yall still honoring the warranty that I never got from my tranny petering out 4 months after I got it? I did spend 2 grand and the next week I could not get ahold of ya.

Sorry, dont mean to hi-jack.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tirefryin_s10
Ya thanks alot ... Next thing is in a 450 hp application if the burnout is always done 2-3 how will a ramp style 16 element sprag hold up .
Not sure what you mean by ramp style sprag. You either have a roller clutch with rollers and ramps or a 16 to 32 element sprag with a smooth race on the drum. If you have a sprag type with 16 elements you might as well step up to a 32 for $70 or so.
I've seen the roller type blown and sometimes still running in stock applications.
I'd find a hardparts supplier and get a sprag type drum from a 4L80E or older th400 if you have the roller type.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave's back.

There really is no reason to run a pressure in the 300psi range on any unit I can think of. Even the highest H/P holding Glides won't see anything over 250 psi..... that's up to 2,500 h/p.

g
Old 03-12-2008, 10:41 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

mmmmoooooorrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeepppppprrrrrreeeeeeess ssssuuuuuurrrrrreeeeeee!
Old 03-13-2008, 12:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pressure test it for sure!

only time I have seen them break(in 23 years) is overly high line pressure and high clutch pack clearances as mentioned by others
Old 03-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
So, you guys are back???

Yall still honoring the warranty that I never got from my tranny petering out 4 months after I got it? I did spend 2 grand and the next week I could not get ahold of ya.

Sorry, dont mean to hi-jack.
Sure send it back to me ...BTW we never went anywhere...Hope this helps Dave
Old 03-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Banned

Get away from your desk, push the computer away, get up off your butt, go out in the shop hook up your dyno, (use a 400) hell use a 60E, put it in reverse read your pressure.... what do you get ???? 275-300 max line psi. Like I said 300 psi isn't uncommon in this unit... pressure didn't brake that plate.

The more clearance you have in a drum: any drum, the softer the apply. Of coarse if it's too big then you'll blow your piston seals out. The smaller the gap the fimmer the apply. If it's to tight you get bind up.

When your checking out theses plates, look for fracture stress breaks at each of the tabs, you'll be surprised how many are cracked, just purchase new ones, espically in the direct drum as this is an on and off clutch. Hope this helps Dave
Old 03-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Banned

Anyone had a chance to fallow up on this? I'm anxious to hear what the results were.Vince,........ Gilbert,........ anyone??
Old 03-13-2008, 07:47 PM
10 Second Club

Sure send it back to me ...BTW we never went anywhere...Hope this helps Dave

Dave, you guys unhooked your phones and went underground.

I was not going to hold on to my broke trans and let the car sit untill yall decided to re-surface. FLT contacted me after hearing what happened and we worked things out and the car is up and running.

I tried to get ahold of you guys a week or so after I got my trans as it was leaking and I could not figure it out. I had take it to a dealership.

Then, ~600 miles and ~4 track runs (2 months later) 3rd and 4th went out and I was back to square one and ~2grand lighter in the pocket book. No warranty cause you guys were gone. Its really sad to me that this happened. Now that yall are/or getting back on your feet I would like SOME of the money back if all possbile.

I can get ahold of a tranny that is not in working condition and send it to yall if the you will rebuilt it since I did not get a warranty. But, its not the same one you sent me though as I had no choice but to send it out to be used as a core.

And to the original poster... Sorry for hi-jacking the thread a little.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Banned

Damn I'm ready to call rock on to order a trans right now
Old 03-13-2008, 08:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by meandmyls1
Damn I'm ready to call rock on to order a trans right now
I just dont like getting screwed over...

I waited for 5 weeks and then called up and said I want my money back as I will go somewhere else. They next morning a trans was sitting at my door step with fresh paint still on it.

I installed it on the car and it went out 2 months later and they were gone before that. So, I still have a bitter taste from the experience.

I was able to sale their shipping container for 75 bucks though. they did not even want that back.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:36 PM
Banned

I just dont like getting screwed over...
I don't either.

Now it looks like we have a pissed off suspended sponsor taking shots at the ones who know what they're doing. That always drums up bussiness.
I picture dave out in the shop with a trans on a dyno evaluating pressure readings, phone ringing in the background, blood pressure rising. Another heart attack...wasn't that the excuse last time..or was it the time before last.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:48 PM
10 Second Club

Im not sure what happened, I do understand that things happen that people cant control. But, I would just like an explanation and my warranty or some $$ back if he is going to be posting up on tech.
I am by far not a rich person and enjoy the hobby of working on my car and spend money on it when I have extra. And to get taken for by a vendor, at the time, really gets my blood boiling as I had to find another 2 grand again +, and now it cost me 4 grand + for a tranny.

I talked with him and his secretary several times and thought he/she were/was real nice hard working people.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Banned

I can get ahold of a tranny that is not in working condition and send it to yall if the you will rebuilt it since I did not get a warranty. But, its not the same one you sent me though as I had no choice but to send it out to be used as a core.
Send me what you got! I'll go through it and send it back. Under warranty..not selling anything here. PM me for a shipping address.

I'm not taking shots at anyone...I made a statement and a couple of your sponsors disagreed. I though this was a tech fourm? When ya talk tech do I have to get it cleared by your sponsors first? Wouldn't you rather have the facts, and not some mumble jumbo from a couple of salesmen?

Talking about clearances in your clutch pac. Blowing the lid off .....What a crock!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 09:43 PM
10 Second Club

Send me what you got! I'll go through it and send it back. Under warranty..not selling anything here. PM me for a shipping address.

I'm not taking shots at anyone...I made a statement and a couple of your sponsors disagreed. I though this was a tech fourm? When ya talk tech do I have to get it cleared by your sponsors first? Wouldn't you rather have the facts, and not some mumble jumbo from a couple of salesmen?

Talking about clearances in your clutch pac. Blowing the lid off .....What a crock!!!

I hope this is not all directed at me... If I knew anything about transmissions, I would do it myself.

Like I said, I dont have the core anymore as I had to re-use it or pay more money if I held on to it.
If you really honor what you just said, I can get a core and send it to ya. Or, just save the time and give me the money that it would have cost to repair it in the 1st place.
I have nothing personal against you, I just feel that I got taken and I should get some of the money back or a trans of the same caliber that I payed for.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Banned

I'm telling you to send me the core you have and I'll send it back built up to a level 4. You pay for the shipping here I'll pay for the shipping back.

And no that other stuff was not all directed at you. Some other fellow was accuseing me of bashing your other sponsors. (salesmen, I know both and neither are tranny techs.)
Old 03-13-2008, 10:26 PM
10 Second Club

I'm telling you to send me the core you have and I'll send it back built up to a level 4. You pay for the shipping here I'll pay for the shipping back.

And no that other stuff was not all directed at you. Some other fellow was accuseing me of bashing your other sponsors. (salesmen, I know both and neither are tranny techs.)

That sounds awesome Dave... I will get one.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:41 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Some other fellow was accuseing me of bashing your other sponsors. (salesmen, I know both and neither are tranny techs.)
I sure hope you are not calling me a sales man! Got news for you, 18 year trans tech currently still active. Over ten of those years building high performance transmissions. Also your comment about 300psi is a reverse pressure reading not a forward pressure reading for the launch as you put it. I understand your point that this hi/reverse drum can see these pressures. But as far as the apply going into third gear you will never see 300psi in one of my units. Dave looks like you are here to take shots at the current successful sponsors. Good luck with that. We had I believe a total 3 of your unhappy customers that we helped pick up the pieces after you......well what ever. One of which purchased a level 5 from you that had 4 pinion planets in it. Also had used parts that you advertised as new. Failed hard in less than 500 miles. When he was at our shop from Arkansas he said he would really like to run into you some day. By the size of that boy I think you should go back to where you have been. Also do not claim to know me personally because you don't and never have. I myself would never associate myself or my reputation with you. I'm done with this. Good day sir!

Last edited by FLT; 03-13-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Banned

That was a level .5
And I do my burnouts in reverse so my level 17 see's 377 psi all the time man.

.)
Thats a free trans build from a core? Tough decision there, maybe he just wants that shipping box back that you sold, and a free core. Or is level 4 the filter change and new paint job
Seriously if you did ship a core, get a level something back, when you sell it you're going to be the bad guy for selling a pos trans. What are you going to do with it?
Old 03-13-2008, 11:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by meandmyls1
That was a level .5
And I do my burnouts in reverse so my level 17 see's 377 psi all the time man.

Thats a free trans build from a core? Tough decision there, maybe he just wants that shipping box back that you sold, and a free core. Or is level 4 the filter change and new paint job
Seriously if you did ship a core, get a level something back, when you sell it you're going to be the bad guy for selling a pos trans. What are you going to do with it?

I called him and talked to his secretary for 2-3 days several times for an arrangment to ship his shipping box and my core like the agreement we had.

The 4th day I called and phone was disconnected and thats when things on here started surfacing about closing the doors down or going into hiding, I dont know what the deal was honestly. I gave it 2 months before I decided to get rid of of it and sold it just to get it out of my garage.

My girlfriend has a 98 Trans Am.. She rags on her car more then me. So, if Dave honors this and I do get a level 4, I will hang on to it for her cause I know she will complain to me about her car not "going forward" sooner or later and expect me to fix it with my magic wand. lol

Quick Reply: Th400 Trans failure.... Pics inside WTF Happened?