Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Th400 Trans failure.... Pics inside WTF Happened?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 06:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, you would put one of his POS trans in your girl's car after all you have learned? Really? Really? People amaze me...
Old 03-14-2008, 08:39 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,201 Likes on 771 Posts

Rock-On, you owe us for past sponsorship fees, so you are banned until that is caught up. You can email me at john@motorsports-media.com to fix that.

ADMIN
Old 03-14-2008, 02:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Obviously Rock On cannot reply to the following comments unless he uses another screen name or IP address. However, I take offense to his comments about me not being a Trans. Tech and merely being a Salesman.

I think at the end of the day my track record here speaks for itself. But, as a reminder for you Dave, those who know me and for those folks who might be reading this thread and do not know who I am and do not know my credentials in this Industry...

I have been ASE Master Certified since the very early 1990's. (Well over 15 years) Recertified twice. The tests are what they are... just a Benchmark. But, go try to take them yourself if you have not...see how well you do and get back to me on that.

I have over 20 years experience as a Technician at the New Car Dealership level... a level where you do not have the luxury of faking it or pretending to know the systems that come out brand new for the first time each and every year. I am a Factory Trained Driveability Technician, A/C Electrical Technician, Automatic Transmission and Rear Axle Technician, Engine Technician and Front End Technician.

I spent over 5 years as a Service Advisor... which qualifies me to serve as a Salesman for the company I own, meaning I understand Customer Relations at a level many do not.

I'm confident that my tenureship in this Industry more than qualifies me to run this shop Dave. We're still here, where have you been?

I personally spent well over a year in Research and Development of High Performance 4L60E's prior to releasing them to the public at large. Meaning, we do not and never did "practice" on customers cars in the hopes of one day solving the riddle of keeping one of the units alive in severe combinations. I had a plan and I executed it.

ACE Racing Transmissions has not had one , that's zero, 4L60E's come back inoperative to date since becoming Sponsors here at LS1 Tech. That does not mean we will not, but because of the processes we put in place here at the shop we have been successful with this project.

I resent your comments Dave. Yes, we met with you a couple of times when we were getting started with our R&D Program. I even offered you a respectable proposition, to which I never heard a reply one way or the other. You and I have not spoken to each other since the night you sat in my office and we discussed that Proposal with my Business Partner. That should have told me something about your Character. You do not know anything about my Company that the general public does not, so do not come here and try to make yourself look good by talking down to me.

To come here after a significant absence and say those words, in such a derogatory manner suggests to me that you are bitter about something. Do not direct your bitterness towards me nor my company please.

Until today I had respect for you Dave. Today I do not hold you in the same regard. If you wish to engage in Technical discussions, great, we both might learn somthing. However, to take a shot like you did is cheap and reflects negatively on you.

Good Luck with yourself and your future endeavors.

Gilbert Olson
ACE Racing Transmissions
Old 03-14-2008, 05:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me a salesman Nah. I think I am going to have one of those rare moments and agree with Vince and Gil that 300 psi is kinda high even in the TH400 and definatley in the 60. I dont think you should be bashing these guys Vince and Gil have proven themselves in this industry I may persoanlly have different feelings than good for them, but they do make a good product and know what they are doing and I have never questioned their ability. You may have just made things look worse for you but I dunno
Free Cooler, Free shipping always, 2 year warranty Trans/Coverter combos, No Core or Core charge, $150 LS1 core buy back, All trans Dyno Tested to Be sure it works when you get it.Customer videos, Tech Thread, Open 7 Days a Week! Call or http://opi.yahoo.com/online?u=performabuilt&m=g&t=2Click Banner for Website.
Not Just Built.....PerformaBuilt!

Old 03-14-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default plate

too much clutch clearance could have done it. .010 per clutch 5 clutches .050 etc. good luck
Old 03-14-2008, 05:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by john kilgore
too much clutch clearance could have done it. .010 per clutch 5 clutches .050 etc. good luck
yep creates a hammer effect
Free Cooler, Free shipping always, 2 year warranty Trans/Coverter combos, No Core or Core charge, $150 LS1 core buy back, All trans Dyno Tested to Be sure it works when you get it.Customer videos, Tech Thread, Open 7 Days a Week! Call or http://opi.yahoo.com/online?u=performabuilt&m=g&t=2Click Banner for Website.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Banned

Hope I never need a new trans because the top three would be real hard to chose from.
As for John Kilgores comment, I've followed his work for a while, if anyone knows the TH400 he knows it very well.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

Well trans is all back together I set it up with .062 clearance in that pack with an 80E drum and 34 element sprag.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool... stay in touch, let us know how it works out for you.

g
Old 03-15-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

Will do thanks again for all the help from the REAL trans builders ... not the dirty con artist scabs.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

you could have made the pack a little tighter I have went as far as .020 total clearnce heard of less but thats the most I have set.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

HOLY ****! Rock on!! I want my tranny I paid for in full about 2 years ago!!
Old 01-25-2009, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

wow, lots of good tech. and even more drama lol
Old 10-28-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Regular

this is very weird I bought a th400 and it is very clean, broke it all down to rebuild cause its going into my LS1.... all the stock Clutches and everything inside was in damn mint condition no tear and wear what do ever except the same thing like you...

Check out the pictures...

what the hell is this a weak point?!?!
Attached Thumbnails Th400 Trans failure.... Pics inside  WTF Happened?-10282009010.jpg   Th400 Trans failure.... Pics inside  WTF Happened?-10282009011.jpg  
Old 10-28-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

what could cause this problem so I would be on the safe side when I re install it..
Old 10-30-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

too much clearance in the clutch pack, lets the clutches get a run at the plate.

Quick Reply: Th400 Trans failure.... Pics inside WTF Happened?