Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long to install the Transgo HD2 kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I`m adding these along with the HD2 kit. Trying to beef up everything I can without opening up the transmission. I know nothing about an automatic, if you can`t already tell. Manual transmission are a breeze, well a bit tidious. I`ve built those before and am in the middle of a rebuild for a friend`s t56 right now. So do I have all the parts in order to accomplish my goal? Converter, cooler, hd2 kit and the accumulators. All I need, I hope?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am rebuilding my rearend as well. Pinion bearing is making noise, so I am about to replace all the bearings in there. Change the gear to 3.73 and add a solid pinion spacer instead of the crush sleeve, which is what has caused me to have to rebuild the rearend in the first place.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:06 AM
Banned

You're possibly opening a huge can of worms. You are going to do everything one at a time right? Like get the rear fix and drive for a while then do the trans/shift kit?

I see wrong answers everywhere here except 382ssz28.
Everyone is concentrating on installing parts. Theres a bit more to it than that.
I put the same kit in my SS when it had 32,000 on it and it changed shift quality for the worse, I even took the trans out to install the COMPLETE kit, no one has even mentioned that-how you need a spring depressor to install all the parts in the kit.

Back to my shift quality problem, it was solved first by changing the seperator plate hole sizes-didn't work. I went back into the trans and played with the 3-4 clutch- a little better. Finally I got a new seperator plate and went smaller on the hole sizes, even bigger on some, and finally got it.
I have built a lot of automatics as a hobby, I'm well aware of what a correct shift feels like and I don't stop until it's shifting perfect.

Again most of the replies here focus on getting the parts in the trans and the car back on the ground. Nothing about fine tuning. The bad part it in order to fine tune a trans you have to take it back apart sometimes. They give you a range of feed hole sizes and no two cars work perfect using the same exact set up, thats why they give you a range of sizes.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Smile

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
You're possibly opening a huge can of worms. You are going to do everything one at a time right? Like get the rear fix and drive for a while then do the trans/shift kit?

Yeah, one thing at a time. I have a 67 and 69 camaro I am restoring, both at the same time. I learned the hard way to tackle those cars as small projects put together to complete the whole project.

I am having trouble with an exhaust issue on my car and I took it to an exhaust shop to have it fixed. There solution was to just weld up all the joints. That`s great! However, it needed addjustment first. So now I have an exhaust system out of adjustment that is welded up. Since I am going to do this work to the trans and the rearend, I figured I would take the rearend completely out of the car to rebuild it and paint it while I`m at it. Pull the trans completely out and do what i have to do to it and gain full access to remove the exhaust without having to cut it in an area that`s not a joint. I will be doing alot of small things to create one big ole` thing to solve a lot of issues I`m having with the car. By the way, this car is not my DD, so if it takes a month to accomplish all of this, then that`s what it will have to take. I originally was going to take it to a friends shop and do it on their rack, but I would have had to do all this in one weekend. That scares me because Murphy`s Law always comes up when I`m working on cars
Old 04-08-2008, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

9000ss is on the right track. Jeb you have all the good parts but like 9000 said you better look in to what settings you need to keep that stall having a good feel. This I know SFA about because I run a stock stall and a V6

I like the idea of fitting all the good stuff because the whole thing of a shift kit is doing a balanced upgrade instead of just bumping line pressure and hoping everything else will hold up.

This mod to the boost valve may be worth considering too if you want to go all out. It helps with quicker fluid transfer
Attached Thumbnails How long to install the Transgo HD2 kit?-4l60e-main-boost.jpg  
Old 04-08-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not to hijack but I'm getting ready to install my HD2 kit also. Does anyone know which one of the parts eliminates the PWM feature?

Quick Reply: How long to install the Transgo HD2 kit?