Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help me build my own 4L80

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 382ssz28
The problem with giving out info is we as builders make a living at this and spend many years honing our craft. Would you take money off of your kids table for any one because they won't invest in a properly built unit? ....
i said thank you for people who helped me and that included you.

now if you think im just going to let joe schmo build my trans, well your mental. my friend whos doing it builds transmissions for a living, and has built some race cars along the way. and the most inportant part is i trust him. and i guess sponsors only sell complete tranmissions by your theroy. all i was asking which parts and where from. i was never inteding paying an arm and a leg for my transmission. i only wanted parts. so if such and such would of said hey we have these parts give us a call. but that didnt happen. so in the grand scheme of things in your theroy, they were the ones infact taking food off the table. but there is no need to bicker my buisness has been spent elsewhere.

infact a user on this site has set me in the right direction. i did find all the right parts and lucky me they have a sale going on. i bought the parts from raptor transmissions. there page is www.redrider.us they have alot of info on a mass amounts of tranmissions also. so by doin it my way i have saved myself over a thousand dollars.and once again thank you to everyone who has contributed to my thread.

Last edited by AzzBustin30th; 03-27-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:32 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem with giving out info is we as builders make a living at this and spend many years honing our craft. Would you take money off of your kids table for any one because they won't invest in a properly built unit? I've done favors for friends but its the parts to make a unit live under the conditions we want. You can't have your cake and eat it, too. To the other guys talking about the $600.00 mystery tools, they aren't a mystery. If you read carefully, I mentioned Kentmoore Tools. These are required to put on the solid teflon rings properly and are quite exspensive. I don't make the prices or design the trans to require these tools. I use them because if one of you were to pay me good money, I want to make sure nothing is cobbled together. I own a tranny shop and I want the best for my customers so I buy the proper tools. If you got a clean unit on the outside, could you tell what someone has put into it? The problem is too may people are frustrated because they want what alot of people have but aren't willing to step up to the plate. I don't have the gaul to ask someone to cut their prices to SERVE me. Life is what it is. I have helped many people on this site, but there is a point of proper knowlege and knowing when to suggest the right way of doing things. 32 years has taught me that. I've seen guys make a mess and sometimes ruin an exspensive case to save a buck. People will never change their ways. You guys pick our suggestions apart forgetting what we suggest and not reading and understanding what we are getting at. A few of you might get lucky now and again. I made a few sincere and simple suggestions to save time, money, and stress, and I get disrespected for it. Buddyholly, you are what we call in the business is a parts replacer. This is a guy who can do the puzzle, but doesn't know the hydraulics or electronical functions of the trans. You also said you don't need the tools. God help you friends and customers because they will get what they pay for. Call these builders and vendors what you will. Look in the mirror and if you are real, you'll see the truth. Besides, I am not one of these fine vendors. I don't want any money. I try and stay unbiased to help when I can. When people ask if they can do their own unit, knowing what I know, I would suggest the safe play rather than see a guy put a bad taste in his mouth about something he gets in over his head with. Don't shoot the messenger!!
I'm not as nice as the guy who replied above me. First off, I underlined the main hypocrisy in your argument for you. If you don't want money then why are you trying to make it sound like we are stealing your money away from your children by building a transmission ourselves versus taking it to you?

You then say that, "The problem is too may people are frustrated because they want what alot of people have but aren't willing to step up to the plate." I would define stepping up to the plate as taking the time, effort, and hard work to do something right versus taking it to someone and paying them to do it for you. How is me taking my transmission to someone, "stepping up to the plate," when I am perfectly capable of doing it myself?

After that you say, "I don't have the gaul to ask someone to cut their prices to SERVE me." Obviously you don't have to worry about money. Your whole argument is based simply upon money when you look at the root of it. Some of us aren't so fortunate as you are and have to learn to do things ourselves or they'll never get done. Not to mention you're missing the main point here. Nobody asked you to serve them. The original poster asked what sort of transmission parts they should use to build their transmission. They didn't ask you to build their transmission did they? How are they asking you to serve them then? It's a forum, people ask questions all the time. If you don't want to you don't have to answer them. Answering people's questions is a courtesy thing which you obviously lack or ignore in an attempt to make money.

Then, you basically insult buddyholly by saying, "Buddyholly, you are what we call in the business is a parts replacer. This is a guy who can do the puzzle, but doesn't know the hydraulics or electronical functions of the trans. You also said you don't need the tools. God help you friends and customers because they will get what they pay for. Call these builders and vendors what you will." How do you know what this guy does? For all you know he could own his own transmission shop too or work for GM and be the guy who designed the 4L80E. He could know more than you do about every single transmission on this planet and you refer to him as a, "parts replacer" in an attempt to make yourself sound knowledgable.

I took your advice and looked in the mirror. I do see the truth. You're a perfect example of what gives mechanics bad names. You're the type of guy that tried to milk people out of everything they can. You talk all sorts of technical mumbo jumbo to confuse the customer ultimately telling them that their transmission is going to blow up if they don't have you fix it for them. You're the type of guy that charges $6 a pint for transmission fluid and expects the customer to know no difference. I've run into people like you before and know how to smell bullshit when I see it.

My friend owns and runs a maintenance and performance shop. He's in fact one of our paying sponsors that does truly help people out. He's there six days a week for eleven hours a day working his *** off and his only employee is his friend's son. I'm down there two or three days a week every week helping them out and working on my car. I know how things work in a properly run automotive business.

I'm sorry, but responses like this **** me off to no end. The main purpose of this site is to convey knowledge. If your opinion contradicts what someone is asking for why tell them? What if you asked me how to put an engine together and I told you to take it to an engine builder when you were perfectly capable of doing it yourself? What is the purpose of that? You completely missed the whole purpose of this thread.

PS: You should try paragraphs. Do you know about those things that make people take you more seriously because they convey a sense of knowledge of the english language and how it works?
Old 03-28-2008, 02:12 AM
Teching In

The problem with giving out info is we as builders make a living at this and spend many years honing our craft.
I dont think anyone asked a builder to give out the information - this is a forum where people share their experiene. If a particular vendor wants to contribute - then great - if you dont want to contribute - then ignore the thread.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

382, what could someone expect to pay for a performance rebuild on a 4L80 ? Just a range is O.K.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
My friend owns and runs a maintenance and performance shop. He's in fact one of our paying sponsors that does truly help people out. He's there six days a week for eleven hours a day working his *** off and his only employee is his friend's son. I'm down there two or three days a week every week helping them out and working on my car. I know how things work in a properly run automotive business.
Guy I run an automotive shop properly, and I'll say this, you have no clue what you're talking about. You're living in la la land.

1. We work 8 hours a day 5 days a week. Sometimes we bust our ***.
2. We earn a good living and have time to enjoy it.
3. Our customers are happy and their vehicles run great and last. They could care less about building thier own engines and transmissions. If they did I wouldn't waste my time trying to help them do it right. Because they can't without professional help or experience. Most who try fail, have to do it again, or give up and sell the car in pieces, or pay someone more to do it right in the end.
4. I can afford real ASE certified employess, not my friends son or a guy who hangs out for lift time getting in the way, borrowing tools, bringing in his familys junk, and generally being a liability.
5. I have hundreds of thousands of dollars spent to get where we are and we don't give out free information that will put us out of business. Why would we?
6. I help more people in the long run than I could by telling guys on the net how to do everything themselves all day.

I just want to make the point that you're rant against 382ssz28, who actually answered the question correctly by the way, is rediculous. Start your own business and see where your skills take you.

Too everyone else, if you can't afford your hobby take up a less expensive one but don't ever mistake "Take it to a pro" as bad advice from a greedy person. In the end that's usually the best course and the best advice we could give you. If it was something easy that we feel you can accomplish with a couple of paragraphs of advice over the net we'll give you just that. Building a high performance transmission from scratch when you don't have a clue what to use and where to find it is not a hand we care to hold for the next 3 months, I didn't win the lottery and I have to eat.

Vernon
Old 05-04-2008, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Just like the rest of us, We all have to eat. Are tranny rebuilds for everyone, no. There are some out willing to do the research and be capable finding the knowledge of trying it themselves. Samething I did 8yrs ago with my engine rebuild. Have I rebuilt a tranny no, One day I would like to.

Somtimes there is alot to knowing that you did everything and not just dish the money out to have someone else build it. I would much rather run a 12.0 in something I built vs 11.0 in paying someone else.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Hey, I just noticed I was insulted...kinda...guess I am just slow..
I agree with what blownbird 355 said. I do not advocate for everyone to go out and rebuild their own tranny. In fact I recommend they do not. But for those who want to give it a try they are not the big mystery box some people make them out to be. Thus my statement about expensive tools. If I did it everyday for a living I would have all the expensive tool I could put my hands on.
But...for the person who wants to learn something themselves there are other ways.
Oh, as far as me being a parts replacer, that is true. I replace the parts and works like new. Neat, huh? Now GM and all their engineers they actually designed it, not us. Thanks for thinking of me, but I really do understand the hydro charts just fine. Nope, I am not a full time mechanic. A librarian of all things, but I have impressed my buddies at two tranny shops by knowing stuff they did not thanks to my reading way too much stuff on the 4l80e and the 700r4.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Teching In

ttt...

did you ever build the trans up? how'd it go? I found this thread looking for info to build up a 4l80e to go behind my turbo'd sbf. I'll be building it MYSELF...as I've done everything else on the car car myself. Anyone have any other additional info on the 4l80e rebuilds etc?

I know the later cores are better/stronger... What trucks did these come in. I'm in CT and it's tough finding good jy to get cores etc from.. reccomendations?!

great info in this thread so far!
Old 11-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
How do you know what this guy does? For all you know he could own his own transmission shop too or work for GM and be the guy who designed the 4L80E. He could know more than you do about every single transmission on this planet and you refer to him as a, "parts replacer" in an attempt to make yourself sound knowledgable.
Shot yourself in the foot with that one.
If the guy 'putting the puzzle together' knew ANYTHING about these transmissions, why would he do a FAVOR for the OP by putting it together, BUT not knowing what to put it together with?

IMO a competent builder knows what parts to use.

Thanks to whoever for bringing up an old post, if the OP notices, I bet it sure did work out great and he saved a TON of money.