Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing trans fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing trans fluid

alright im asking officially for help on replacing the atf...ive been told to remove the center council, the shifter and a few more bolts before i can reach the dipstick for the fluid. is this right? if so how the hell do i remove the shifter and everythin else? im sooo lost haha
Old 03-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Banned

uh no, definatly not,

do a search for a step by step instruction.

youll need about 15 qts of atf fluid depending on wether you have a coolor or not.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

no kidding...and i know that theres no way in hell that you need 15 quarts of atf fluid...you need 5...and where can i find this step by step instruction?
Old 03-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Banned

if you want to REPLACE your fluid, you will need at least 14 qts to do so, your post implies a tranmission flush.

4 or 5 is only if you drop the pan
Old 03-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Banned

but you definatly dont need to mess with anything on the interior. the only thing you will need to do is pour atf in through the trans dipstick. on my car i just unplug one of my trans cooler hoses and let it drain while pouring atf in the other while the car is idling.

there is a trick while your doing it to make sure you get all the fluid out possible, its something like going park to drive then giving it some gas then going back to park then to reverse and giving it some gas again.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Banned

i belive all a4 transmisions have a cooler built in the radiator, so you could do it the way i do it, if you have access to help and buckets with hand pumps...

i just did a search and couldnt find anything worth a crap for a trans flush . maybe try googling transmission fluid flush replacement , or just bite the bullet and get you a haynes or chilton manual for 20 bucks

Originally Posted by SSstud
ive been told to remove the center council, the shifter and a few more bolts before i can reach the dipstick for the fluid.

you do know that your transmission dipstick is in your engine bay? its the red one above your oil stick
Old 03-25-2008, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

nice thanks guys...yea i couldnt believe it when someone told me to take apart the interior...i was stunned...and ls699ta im sorry! i did not know that trans used that much fluid...all i did was drop the pan so im guessing im only replacing about 5 quarts or so..
and so if thedipstick is under the hood, i guess ill just be doing it through there, cant be too hard right? I tried pullin on it a little bit bit it did not budge and this is the first time messsing with it. obviously i dint want to break anything so i only played with it a little bit. Just give ita yank and itll come out? sounds good
Old 03-25-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice thanks guys...yea i couldnt believe it when someone told me to take apart the interior...i was stunned...and ls699ta im sorry! i did not know that trans used that much fluid...all i did was drop the pan so im guessing im only replacing about 5 quarts or so..
and so if thedipstick is under the hood, i guess ill just be doing it through there, cant be too hard right? I tried pullin on it a little bit bit it did not budge and this is the first time messsing with it. obviously i dint want to break anything so i only played with it a little bit. Just give ita yank and itll come out? sounds good
The tranny dipstick, if it's the OE part will be a long dipstick with a plastic grab handle. The handle is usually either red or white, and comes out from the tranny and angles up along the firewall, at the rear passenger side of the engine. It shouldn't take much effort to remove it.

Yes, it takes only 5 quarts of ATF to fill it unless you're filling a new tranny and converter, which does indeed take 13-14 quarts to fill. Here's a tip...Go to the parts or hardware store and buy a plastic funnel, about 6-8" in diameter. Get a short length of rubber hose, like fuel line, and slide it through the end of the funnel, leaving about 1/2' in the funnel. Instant flex line for the funnel, to fill the tranny with.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the advice man i appreciate it...one more question if you dont mind me asking. can i buy atf that would replace the original fluid or does it have to be something different now that there is a kit in there?
Old 04-01-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried pullin on it a little bit bit it did not budge and this is the first time messsing with it.
The top of the dipstick has 2 o-rings on it to seal against the tube. Mine sticks all the time... Make sure the little pull handle is flipped up. If I twist mine back and forth a couple of times while pulling on it, it will free up.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

Not to get off the original topic but does the a4 really hold 13-15 quarts? I just installed my performabuilt tranny and it hit the full line with a little over 11.5 quarts. I bypassed my radiator and just used an auxillary cooler. 12" converter. Dipstick sitting all the way in the gromett and bolted the back of the head. Just curious. And bored...
Old 04-02-2008, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kevin01Z28
Not to get off the original topic but does the a4 really hold 13-15 quarts?
By itself, no. With the Torque Converter, Yes.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Launching!

car manufacturers reccomend AGAINST flushing transmissions. you simple need to drop the pan, drain it, change the filter. bolt it back up, then refill. let it sit a while to let alot of the fluid from the TQ converter to trickle back into the pan, you cant get all of it though.

Also, I see you said you are not using the factory tranny cooler, just an auxillery. They are called auxillery for a reason, you need to put it inline with the factory cooler, and use them both. NOBODY reccomends taking the factory one off... Why do that anyway when its so easy to hook it up inline, my B&M kit was simple!
Old 04-02-2008, 03:58 PM
12 Second Club

several tests have shown that it make maybe 5 degrees difference between using both vs aftermarket only. I would post the links but I'm at work
Old 04-02-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought that bypassing the rad was a good thing unless you drive in cooler weather?