Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP 4L60E acting up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP 4L60E acting up?

i just took the car for the first time today drove great but after i went WOT a couple a times i noticed the trans acting weird. i let off before the 2-3 shift around 60 and the car took like 3-4 seconds to up shift.( i let off then tapped the pedal and the rpms still went high, instead of shifting to third).When i continue through the 2-3 shift its hard i guess you would say. i don't know how big of an issue it is but im pissed since i didn't notice before i bought the car 3 months ago. the car only has 45,000 on it and also i planned on flushing the trans soon but am wondering if i should have this looked at before i waste $120.

-steve
Old 04-01-2008, 06:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I dont understand your description that well , But you are saying when you backed off the throttle in 3rd gear it took a couple seconds then jumped into 4th or slid in? . When you say the rpm rise when you give it gas I am assuing you mean in 4th before it kicks down how much? and when you give it enough throttle its does kickdown but hits hard into third. Any known mods? converter stall ETC?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-01-2008, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

Did your battery die over the winter or disconnect it for the winter? It's possible the adapt strategies will have to relearn for a short time while driving the car. Also, if your trans is stock, and you let off of the gas abruptly and throttled up it's possible the info the computer was recieving caused the trans to hunt which will take a few seconds in some cases. If you find a good tuner, he can adjust this delay out as you release the throttle, the tps will tell the computer, (along with alot of other sensors), to quickly release which will cause a quicker shift. I use the HP Tuner MPVI PRO. There are alot of other fine tuning devices or pay someone and save time and money. Hope this helps. PS, don't let anyone powerflush your trans. Just change the filter, gasket, and 4-6 quarts in the pan. It's a long discussion why you should not, but my pizza just arived.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by performabuilt
I dont understand your description that well , But you are saying when you backed off the throttle in 3rd gear it took a couple seconds then jumped into 4th or slid in? . When you say the rpm rise when you give it gas I am assuing you mean in 4th before it kicks down how much? and when you give it enough throttle its does kickdown but hits hard into third. Any known mods? converter stall ETC?
when i went WOT at 25mph(1st gear), shifted into 2nd then let off before i hit 3rd gear(around 60 im guessing). then after i let off i figured the car would immediately shift into 4th so i could cruise but once i pushed the pedal down again after letting off the car was still in 2nd( rpms only dropped a grand or two) and like jumped on me which shocked me because of the surge of power, where as i thought i was in 4th. i did this again soon after cause i wanted to see if the car did the same thing.

i tired explaining that i didnt even notice this during the test drive because i went WOT into 3rd gear and it shifts pretty good maybe barley any slip. but when i let off before 3rd the computer seems like it takes a while to shift into 4th. so i can just cruise.

for he mods, the car is completely stock.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 382ssz28
PS, don't let anyone powerflush your trans. Just change the filter, gasket, and 4-6 quarts in the pan. It's a long discussion why you should not, but my pizza just arived.
i read a thread about flushes that said pretty much that if its working properly then go for it. BG products i read were good and they use them at the local midas here. but maybe i shouldnt if im having this problem.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Some of that sounds like typial stock tuning of the PCM I would bet a good tuner could fix that up for you. I know the 273 geared cars feel really wacky in some ways with the factory tune IMO

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-02-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

so flushing my trans is ok or not? cause i plan to do this soon
Old 04-02-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fbodyman1026
so flushing my trans is ok or not? cause i plan to do this soon

well, i have to agree with that one guy said. i would just change the fluid, not flush it. i believe MTI put new fluid for me when i put my 3200 stall.. so hopefully its good to go. but yeah, ive read up on people having issues when they had there tranny flushed. just replace the fluid and put some new fluid.