Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lockup Issue(PerformaTranny TCI Converter)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Lockup Issue(PerformaTranny TCI Converter)

Ok when i got my Performabuilt stage 2 tranny and TCI Converter my car ran GREAT. Then about 2 or 3 months ago i was crusing home and the car hit lockup it clunked hard and the flexplate bounced off the oil pan. I assumed my flexplate cracked. Ordered a new TCI flex plate. Installed it the other day. Got the tranny buttoned up and went for a spin. Did it AGAIN. Now i was thinking Crank walk so yesterday my buddy who i did The Ford AAA competion with checked the crank. Watched the balancer and flex plate for wooble. Nothing. Turned the car off and tryed to move both with a pry bar. Nothing. Told him lets go for a ride ill show you what it does. As it hit over drive and went to lock up CLUNK. But this time no wine. We drove some more and it was fine.

Now we had no idea what was wrong but thought maybe something got gummed up cause i had a tad over 3 k on the tranny and the new fluid cleaned it causing it to work. Hurried my *** up to a tire shop to get two tires put on. While the tires were being put on my dipstick tube grommet started to leak because it got damaged reinstalling the tranny. Had to tow it to my buddys shop and fix it last night, i was up till 2 am. I wanted to go to the track today but it got rained out.

Took it for a drive, got it up to temp. Made sure the fluid was at the correct level. Then realized my converter is not locking up. It Drives fine other then that. Im dumb founded. Is it my converter? or my new tranny? Also is it safe to drive, i ended up putting a few miles on it today driving around town because i had **** to do when i realized it wasnt locking up.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Its sound like you have a lockup clutch issue. The clunk on lockup could be some issue with the clutch. Now the no lockup could also be more issue there, The first thing I would do is determine if lockup is being comanded. If so he next thing I would do is drop the pan and look for debris small black and metalic particles. However also at your earliest opuritunity please contact me so we can go over all the details and come up with the best plan of action and so I can ask a few questions about the flexplate etc. Try not to drive it any more than absolutley nessesary as a converter clutch failure can kill a trans in a hurry.But with the clunk and whining on lockup it sounds at least to me like a converter issue is where we are headed.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-20-2008, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Alrighty ill park it again. Im off tuesday and wedensday so i can get it in my garage and yank the pan. What do you need to know about the flex plate?
Old 04-20-2008, 06:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well you changed it just wanna know what it looked like the old one? Normally I cannot think of a condition that could cause a lockup clutch to push forward on a converter when lockup comes on however normally its travel is limited, Something could have gone wrong with the converter clutch piston maybe to allow it to physically push forward on the converter face. I will ask our converter guy about it tomorrow. I am a trans guy not a converter guy but it seems possible, Now the piston may have traveled beyond its seal and damage it then of course there would be no lockup.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-20-2008, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

well the stocker didnt crack but it had weird rub marks in 3 spots were it looks like the converter pushed out on it. So maybe that possible. The converter bolts were tight, i even checked them when the noise started

Heres a pic
Attached Thumbnails Lockup Issue(PerformaTranny TCI Converter)-dsc00871.jpg  
Old 04-20-2008, 07:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Hmm from the looks of it the converter clutch may have literally flexed the converter cover forward when it applied, Unusual for sure. I imagine what I am thinking has happened the piston has exceeded its travel now and damaged the seal. I think this is the first time I have every seen this.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-20-2008, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

If this is the case what am i looking at to get it fixed. New Converter or Does the tranny need to be looked at too?
Old 04-20-2008, 07:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Depends on what if anything is in the pan. I have never seen one do this before so I am not sure what had to come loose in the converter to allow that.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-20-2008, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Alright. Well as soon as i get the pan dropped ill let you know what i find. I hope i can get by just getting a new converter. I really miss driving my car ha.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Banned

The only part of the converter that should contact the flywheel should be the mounting pads.The first thing i would do is put a pressure gage on the trans and check line pressure.It probably is fine because if it was a stuck epc or something else resulting in high line and or converter charge you would have other issues.Second thiong is to install a scan tool and see if the computer is commanding lock up.If it is and converter solenoid solenoid is arriving at the solenoid and the solenoid is functioning,the lock up valve is not stuck,the o ring on the input shaft is ok then you have a converter with a broken dmpner or other issue.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

dont have a scanner or a pessure gauge. So yeah.... any other way to check and see if the soleniod?

my TCI has a full ring that contacts the flex plate with 3 holes for the bolts.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Drained and dropped the pan. There was nothing big in there. just what looks like clutch material. I know the clutches probly had to break in im just not sure how much is common.

Here are pics, one of the pan, one of the fluid i spilled on the floor, and one of a paper towl i used to wipe the filters housing with.

So the question is, do i need to get the tranny looked at or can i just put a new converter in it.
Attached Thumbnails Lockup Issue(PerformaTranny TCI Converter)-dsc00872.jpg   Lockup Issue(PerformaTranny TCI Converter)-dsc00873.jpg   Lockup Issue(PerformaTranny TCI Converter)-dsc00874.jpg  
Old 04-22-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Might be wrong, but I think that you have a cheapy converter. I believe TCI welds that ring on to the converter to make it fit and LS1. It has a much, much smaller surface area (converter clutch) designed for a much smaller, less powerful car. If you have power behind that it might have destroyed the clutch. There was a post a while ago about this (TCI converters) ....Let me see if I can find it.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Looking at whats in the pan and the fact the trans works well other than the converter no longer locking up and the noise etc you heard when it locked up before it stopped locking up. I would say you have a converter clutch failure. Change fluid and filter , Do not drive! Its highly suggested that you send the trans back to us to clean out and check over and that you have converter replaced or repaired contact me about this ASAP
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-22-2008, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Ill order a PI Vigilante 3800 tomarrow. I Planned on a new filter and fluid anyways. Ill blow all the fluid out of my lines aswell while i have the trans out. Would it be fine to have my trans just flushed once its back together. I work at a Mr. Tire that does trans flushes all the time. As much as id love to send it back i really need my car back together as fast as possible.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Its up to you, There is a risk in that the fluid that comes from the converter is fed to the cooler and then to the lube circuit feeding the planets and bearing/thrust washers. So there is a risk of damage there but only time will tell you may be good to go and maybe not. Its your call i just want to let you know the risk.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-22-2008, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Alright. I will have to talk to my dad about it. What would be the turn around time if i sent it back, or maybe brought it up to you all. Im located in westminster Maryland. I need to have my car on the road by the second week in may. OC cruise'in is coming up.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Turn around would be 2-3 business days.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-22-2008, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Alrighty Like i said let me talk to my dad since he bought the tranny and i will let you know. How much will it cost me?
Old 04-22-2008, 11:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I will have to ask in the morning but not much I am sure

Call 888-744-6542