Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter/flexplate problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Converter/flexplate problems

1998 Camaro Z, Auto with a 1998 T/A motor. Still using original 4l60, converter, flexplate. Motor casting is 12550592(the '97-'98)

I have been searching for several days.

The converter is fully seated. This has been checked at least a dozen times.

When the trans is pulled flush with the block, the motor/trans will not turn over. I suspected that the converter was not seated, so I pulled the trans, checked the converter, rinse and repeat. Did this 4 times, including multiple other people to check me.

I noticed that the converter snub is larger than the inside diameter of the crank. This is causing the converter to sit farther back that I think it should, hence possibly, my problem. It appears that there is a bushing inside the crank snout. It doesn't want to come out easily, and before I go doing anything else, I wanted to check. The question is: should the converter be seated farther in the crank snout, if so, what is this bushing and why is it there. Is it possible that the converters are different? I have NEVER heard of this, but I guess its possible.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bushing is a pilot bushing,its used with straight shift transmissions.I don't think it will interfear with your converter, however I removed mine when I changed to an automatic.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

This pilot bushing is just a tad smaller than the OD of the converter snub. Its bigger than any pilot bushing I have seen, and larger than the ones I have seen in pictures on this site.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

No Help? Anyone?
Old 05-14-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hold your converter up to the flywheel ,bolt it on if you want to turn loose and have a good look at it.If it fits up flush to the bosses without hitting the bushing then your good there,there is no interference problem with the bushing or crank,which there should'nt be.Im sure you checked but make sure you have the flywheel facing the right way.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:25 AM
Launching!

Is it possible you busted your transmission pump while re-mounting your Transmission?