Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a tranny problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 03:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a tranny problem?

Ok, the other day, when I stomped on it from a slow roll (about 10-15mph) it seemed to barely turn the tires over and then slowly accelerated until it shifted out. It shifted fine, the tires even chirped. So after driving it a few miles, i decided to try it again, however this time i got the normal response.

After doing the normal daily driving for a couple of days, the transmission shifted perfect. So a few days ago, messing around with this mustang on the interstate i floored it from about a 50 roll, the car just gradually accelerated to nearly 85-90mph without really feeling any power!! However, tried the same thing at least 2x yeaterday and got a totally different response! The car is a 95 TA, and i have had the trans rebuilt. SO, is this transmission related or is there another possible problem????
Old 05-19-2008, 03:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Did you check your trans. fluid, might want to see if it might be a little low, other than that I dont know. when you smashed the gas and the car was barly accelerating did the trans feel like it was slipping, or did it feel like it just didnt want to take off hard. might be something with your engine and not the trans.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:47 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, i checked the trans fluid. It was kinda low, but this was after the first time. And if that was the case, why does it do it on and off?
Old 05-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

Oh, and no it didnt feel like a slip, it was more like a lack on pull, until it shifted, and after it did, it picked up speed.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds to me like you were expecting a downshift, and it didnt. if you're just above your downshift speed and punch it, it will feel weak.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

Even from about 10mph, because it felt almost exactly the same? And at about the 50 roll, at first I considered the downshift point, until i did the same thing at least twice.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

may be a problem with the one way clutch in the converter if its freewheeling at low speeds it can give sluggish response and same thing if its locked at high speeds just food for thought...it controls the stator in the verter should be locked for lower speeds and gradually unlock as the vehicle gets faster and to the impeller and the turbine reachin coupling speed
Free Cooler, Free shipping always, 2 year warranty Trans/Coverter combos, No Core or Core charge, $150 LS1 core buy back, All trans Dyno Tested to Be sure it works when you get it.Customer videos, Tech Thread, Open 7 Days a Week! Call or http://opi.yahoo.com/online?u=performabuilt&m=g&t=2Click Banner for Website.
Not Just Built.....PerformaBuilt!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

So basically your saying it could be in the converter? Never thought about that. If so what do you recommend, replacing the converter?
Old 05-19-2008, 10:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I would say to take it to a qualified shop and have them check it out I never have been one for throwing parts at something.
Free Cooler, Free shipping always, 2 year warranty Trans/Coverter combos, No Core or Core charge, $150 LS1 core buy back, All trans Dyno Tested to Be sure it works when you get it.Customer videos, Tech Thread, Open 7 Days a Week! Call or http://opi.yahoo.com/online?u=performabuilt&m=g&t=2Click Banner for Website.
Not Just Built.....PerformaBuilt!

Old 05-19-2008, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

Sure. But thanx for the opinion!