Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AXODE stops shifting when hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AXODE stops shifting when hot

I have a '94 Ford Taurus with an AXODE automatic transmission. It has over 200,000 miles. It goes right into gear and drives well at first, but once the car is warmed up if I stop (like at a red light) it won't move. The engine revs up but nothing happens. What is the problem?
Old 08-10-2003, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: AXODE stops shifting when hot

1: fluid level low. When the car is cool the converter has drained to the pan and enough trans fluid is available to the servo's and pistons to engage the cluthes. Once the car runs for a short whle the converter fills robbing the pan of it's necissary fluid. If the fluid level is low, fill it ASAP or your trans will be toast. If the level is ok, see step two.....

2: Fluid is extremely dirty and contaminated from never being flushed. Probably too late now, but it may be worth a shot. Internal damage is likely from it's neglect.

3: (most likely) It's a Ford AXODE trans. You're damn lucky it went that far. Your band is smoked and your clutches are basicly shot. They don't engage properly and after a short drive the clutches are too hot to function and don't make posative contact. Set the car on fire and call your insurance company, or pony up and get the trans rebuilt. I understand you probably don't want to spend 2 arms and 3 legs on a trans, nobody does, but in all honestly 200k miles is more than can be expected from any car. It owes you nothing, and whatever money you spend is probably a waste. The motor likely won't be far to follow. They're great at popping head gaskets.

Just the honest truth!

Old 08-10-2003, 09:56 AM
Teching In

When the trouble first started last fall (it would pop into gear if reved up or if I shifted into reverse) I changed the filter and fluid. This didn't help. After a few months, it got to the point it is now and I parked it until this summer when I replaced the converter and rebuilt the transmission with a kit. One set of clutches was worn but nothing was burnt. After reassembling it does the same thing: it pull very well when cold but fails when hot. Could it be something electronic?
Old 08-10-2003, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

Did you say you rebuilt your self? FWD where did you remove and install it?