Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

some weird T350 problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default some weird T350 problems

so i just had a whol;e let done at one time on my 68 SS car and i put a fairly new T350 from my freinds car that ahd les sthan 1,000 miles since new and rode in it before and felt great and fresh..... now that i put it in my car if i manually shift it it shifts but shifts hard and scratches 2ns when im trying to take it easy on it.... i have some fresh tranny fluid in there and the level is fine..... also if manually shift it too early it wont go into the next gear so i will brin git back and then go up in higher rpms and it wil go inot gear.... so picture the tranny is almost brand new and it has a almost brand new 2,200 TCI stall converter..... i have not hooked my vacume line up to my carb so im have yet to try the auto shifting it and leave it in drive to see what happens.... also keep in mine when its in gear it feels very firm and strong basicly feels like a brand new tranny when locked into gear and no slip of course..... could my linkage be off some?? or could not having the vacume line hooked inot the T350 itself and i also dont have the tranny plugged like i do the carb right yet...... please fill me in here if you know what may be going on..... thanks, jake
Old 05-27-2008, 01:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to connect the vacuum line, no vacuum = high line pressure = no upshift, high speed upshift only, harsh shifts.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so thats my problem then huh?? man i am really glad i can ask a few questions on here and guys who know are nice enough to chime in and let me know.... some of the simplest things can obviously make a big difference..... i would have thought that it just would have made me not be able to auto shift in drive and just roll...... thanks so much! by the way any other things that i need to be looking out for? jake
Old 05-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks so much! by the way any other things that i need to be looking out for?
Theres always something, All I can think of is look inside the vacuum modulator hose nipple, there should be a small screw in there. When you do connect it you can raise or lower the part throttle shift points a little by adjusting that screw. Clockwise for later more firm shifts. CCW for earlier shifts.
At wot it should shift as it does without the hose since there is little to no vacuum at wot.
You can fine tune the wot shifts with a governor recalibration kit if needed.
Honestly you probably won't have to worry about any of that.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

man i didnt even know these old school trannys had that kinda tuneable stuff in them..... thanks alot for that! also i am running a TCI 2,200 stall cause i got it cheap with my TCI T350 from my good buddy..... the converter ran great for his car and was very fun on the street..... of course TCI aint the best company but they do make decent qaulity stuff and with thi sbigger cam im sure it wants a 3,000-3,500 stall but i want to keep it streetable and i figured i might put a 2,800 yank in it or something..... i just hate with these non lock up when your going down the interstate and you let off the gas and it goes all the way down to 1,500 rpms and really loose..... i know the smaller stall means its gonna be a lil more weak down low but you can always get the motor up higher rpms and hit the gas when it gets to the right spot seeing this aint no drag race car, just something fast and fun to drive..... whats your thoughts on this situation?
Old 05-30-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

UPDATE!!!!! i installed the vaccume line to the tranny to the carb and it really helped out and made it run better.... it still shifts a little too hard into 2nd and then too light into 3rd but i still have yet to look into tinkering with it like the guy said a few comments ago as far as being able to adjust ths firmness of the shifts

Quick Reply: some weird T350 problems