Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E squealing under hard pedal

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4L60E squealing under hard pedal

I've got a 2005 5.3L/4L60E transplant out of an Envoy in my Jeep Wrangler TJ. The trans is stock with 27k miles on it. Everything shifts fine under normal driving. while offroading, if I go from a complete stop at the beginning of a steep hill to gradually laying into the throttle, up to WOT, it'll begin to make a loud squealing noise.

It'll pull me up the hill or over the obstacle just fine but obviously the squealing sound makes me think that something is slipping internally. I usually keep the tranny in D the entire time. I'm not sure if keeping it in the number gears makes any difference. I've been a manual driver up until this vehicle so the auto is new to me.

Is there anything that I can change in the software, or is this going to have to be a clutch/steel, band, fluid type, etc.. hardware upgrade?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:31 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This might not be a trans issue at all. "I'm going to go out on a limp here." Trucks with that combo seem to have an issue with belt squeals constantly. The fact that you are putting more load on the drive train when it happens, could be why the the belt is squealing. Do a search on Performance Trucks and you will see this is common. Vince
Old 06-22-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmm... That's why I love this forum - always great info. Thanks Vince. I'll look into it, didn't even consider a belt issue. Strangely I don't notice it on the road at all. Just under extreme torque type conditions off road. Why I don't see it on the pavement at all I have no idea.

The trans still makes me nervous in that it's a H/C motor and I'm pretty hard on it off road I figured I'd see how long the trans lasted before upgrading to something stronger. Hopefully I won't have to, but who knows.. It'll definitely be an FLT when I do. I've researched this a while back and was very impressed with your shop. Just not sure if I'll stick with the 60 or move up to an 80. pros and cons to each I suppose.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 4L60E squealing under hard pedal