Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What ATF do you use and why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What ATF do you use and why?

I am getting ready to do some maintenance and as my car is nearing the 100k mark I figured it wouldn't hurt to change the trans filter and trans fluid during my next oil change. My questions are:

1: What ATF fluid should I be using (I know the manual recommends DEX-III)?

2: How hard is it to change the filter and what is involved (first time doing this )?

3: How do I tell if I have an auburn carrier on my rear diff and what gear oil (brand / type) do you recommend?
-Car has the factory 3.23 rear.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jaywalkersw
I am getting ready to do some maintenance and as my car is nearing the 100k mark I figured it wouldn't hurt to change the trans filter and trans fluid during my next oil change. My questions are:

1: What ATF fluid should I be using (I know the manual recommends DEX-III)?

2: How hard is it to change the filter and what is involved (first time doing this )?

3: How do I tell if I have an auburn carrier on my rear diff and what gear oil (brand / type) do you recommend?
-Car has the factory 3.23 rear.
1. Dexron, they don't even call it that anymore, last I seen it was all dexmerc or multi vehicle, just read the back.

2. Take the trans pan off, just pull the filter out, push the new one in. You'll have problems replacing the seal if it's your first time. If the filter fits tight I don't change the seal, use your own judgement there.

3. If you're changing the fluid you'll see the carrier. If it has springs it's an auburn. Usually five yellow springs between the side gears.
The year of your car should be an auburn if it has G80 on the rpo list door sticker.
If you have an Auburn use 80w90 you CANNOT use synthetic and you HAVE TO use genuine GM or Ford limited slip friction modifier.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up Amsoil

You should be using Amsoil for all your fluid and filter needs as I have.

The Universal Transmission Fluid is superior in every way. Just give their website a read and you will find actual industry tests on it instead of a bunch of hype and marketing.

I've used all their fluids and highly recomend them.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx
http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?category=10
Old 06-24-2008, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

I am considering using the Mobil1 Full Syn ATF for my transmission. I use their full syn as motor oil and haven't had any problems with it. Anyone had any issues using this in their 4L60E?

For my gear oil, what brand of non-syn 80W90? I was looking at the lucas oil 80W90 (plus getting the GM additive from a dealer) anyone use it or care to share their opinions.

I also might try the amsoil for the ATF, but never used any of their stuff, anyone else care to comment in on what they use and why?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right now I use Chevron because I can get it cheap at Cosco. I've done the search, and there seems to be a lot of bad experience on this board with synthetics, so I chose the mineral based fluid. Seems to work fine, but I be the Mobil 1 products are superior.

From my experience, don't mess with the filter seal if you don't need to. The only thing that made my first filter change on the 4L60E tough was thinking I needed to change the seal.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

Ok, so after doing some more reading I think I'll get some valvoline max life DexIII for the ATF fluid, instead of a syn.

What about the lucas oil 80/90 gear oil is that syn or mineral and is it worth it (still have the original 10 bolt under the car...96k miles at this point)?
Old 06-25-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

i run castrol multi vehicle thats the dexron one. i actually pulled royal purple out(it had that when i bought it). i also pulled the royal purple out of the rear and replaced it with mineral BS cheapie 75 140 weight with a posi additive. the only synthetic fluid i run is mobil one.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

I run the cheap Oreillys stuff. I have a pan with a drain so I just drain the pan every other oil change, then add back the 4 qaurts with fresh.

Last edited by meatman; 06-26-2008 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since it has had Dex III in it for the last 100K I wouldn't even think of running anything else.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:48 AM

I use Neo Synthetic's full synthetic in my 4L60E. I use that because I have been using all their products for some time.

Quick Reply: What ATF do you use and why?