Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big stall = no chirp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big stall = no chirp?

hey, i was just curious, but my car with about a 3500 stall and 3:23's wont chirp second gear, it can a little but it only does it on rare occasions, the tranny is completely built, shift kit, servos ect, but it still wont.
what im comparing it to though is my old 96 TA with a 2500 stall, the tranny was built the same ,except my new one has a beefed up suncase shell.
that thing didnt really chirp second, it completely spun again, it was pretty fun lol.
anyway the main question is, will the 3500 stall keep the car from spinning the wheels into second where its not really as engaged as a 2500 would be at the same rpm?
thanks, Mark
Old 07-11-2008, 10:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes basically a high stall converter will act like a cushion and may make the shift appear softer. In reality its a quick as it ever was.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-11-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

Chirping gears is fun. But... I had a mail order tune in my 98 and they completly deleted the Torque Management out of the tune and it would chirp second wit the stock stall. After a full dyno tune my tuner put 10-15% torque management back in the tune and it dosnt chirp 2nd any more. Its not as "cool" but my tuner strongly recomended it, if I didnt want to blow the stock tranny up soon.

I dont think that the size of the stall has much to do with chirping gears. Im no tranny expert but did ur current car chirp the tires before the built tranny??

You said that your old 96 would spin the tires in second. I have a friend that has a 94 TA, and it will spin 2nd no problem wit stock stall. But down the track, wit my stock stall, both wit slicks, my car eats it up.

So what im saying is even though you chirp or spin second dosnt mean anything. But it is fun sometimes!! And I dont think it has much to do wit the stall size. But like I said im dont know much bout trannys..
Old 07-12-2008, 10:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bottom line is it is not a torque converter issue.

It is a power issue. You are not making enough power to make the converter hit. Grab a 100 shot of N2O, install it and get back to us on how that converter feels!

Seriously, if your engine is tired, if it needs a tune up, if you have sticky tires, if you are running inferior fuel and so on.... you will not ever be able to take advantage of the full potential of that converter.

I see this often at the race track with big tire cars. Some guys complain about the converter not hitting hard when in fact they are not making enough horsepower to get their wheel speed up, if the wheel speed is not up where it needs to be the converter stator will not stay locked up and the car will not run at it's full potential. So, for example on multiple stage N2O systems we might bring the second, third or 4th systems in much sooner than we would otherwise. In those situations track conditions can and do play a huge role in the scenario.

I tell you that because your situation is not much different, it's just on a much different scale.

You compared two different cars in your post. What gears were in the car you are comparing to? Gear ratio in itself will play a huge role.

But, like blakern said spinning is not a good thing. If yer spinnin', you ain't winnin'!

g
Old 07-12-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

im not really wanting to spin, i was just curious if that was the issue. this car is much faster, just not as fun lol.
both cars have 3:23s, the trans am had better tires though
the stock stall on my car chirped it a little actually, but you also brought up the point of a tired engine, this car has had 106000 miles of a pretty difficult life, where the ta had about 75000 and still looked clean as hell