Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you get the pump to stop leaking? I tried it all

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HERES A TECH QUESTION---what would place pressure on the pump to case o-ring enough to blow fluid out of it on a hard run?
Anyone there? [/QUOTE]

There should be very little pressure in that area unless your vent is plugged. Are you 100 pct sure that the oil is coming from the case/pump? If so it you may have a hairline crack that leaks when is warms up. Another area to look at is the converter hub. I have seen pin hole leaks in the welds or even cracks in the hub.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tptransmission

There should be very little pressure in that area unless your vent is plugged. Are you 100 pct sure that the oil is coming from the case/pump? If so it you may have a hairline crack that leaks when is warms up. Another area to look at is the converter hub. I have seen pin hole leaks in the welds or even cracks in the hub.
I'm 100% sure it's not the converter or the pump seal. The top of the bellhousing is dry, the whole converter is dry. The leak is not slinging fluid everywhere like it would if the converter or seal was leaking.

I did put it on the bench, remove the bellhousing, install the converter, plug all the holes, and put pressure in through the vent.
I could see a stream of fluid start running out from between the pump and case on the drivers side of the trans. I did this before messing with all the sealant.

I removed all the o-rings, seals, gasket and they all looked perfect.
I just put these in 5 months ago.
I don't see anything wrong with the case.

So any case will work? Even a 4 cly case, just swap everything into it, pump and all?
I just DO NOT like fixing something and not being able to see a problem.

My dad might even give me a loan for a sponsor built trans, anyone know how long it takes to get one shipped to FL?
I'm looking at one for under 450 hp. No core. Maybe a 2800 converter.

I've been looking at sealant specs and the stuff I used didn't work because it dries with contact with air and moisture, so basically the ends sealed and the middle stayed uncured. Even with the ends cured maybe 1/16" deep was enough to get warmed up and five miles on it before it blew out. Fluid doesn't seem to effect even the uncured stuff.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet there is a ton of trashed v6 camaros in junk yards. Hope you can find one bud. Let us know what happens 9000th01ss.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
I'm 100% sure it's not the converter or the pump seal. The top of the bellhousing is dry, the whole converter is dry. The leak is not slinging fluid everywhere like it would if the converter or seal was leaking.

I did put it on the bench, remove the bellhousing, install the converter, plug all the holes, and put pressure in through the vent.
I could see a stream of fluid start running out from between the pump and case on the drivers side of the trans. I did this before messing with all the sealant.

I removed all the o-rings, seals, gasket and they all looked perfect.
I just put these in 5 months ago.
I don't see anything wrong with the case.

So any case will work? Even a 4 cly case, just swap everything into it, pump and all?
I just DO NOT like fixing something and not being able to see a problem.

My dad might even give me a loan for a sponsor built trans, anyone know how long it takes to get one shipped to FL?
I'm looking at one for under 450 hp. No core. Maybe a 2800 converter.

I've been looking at sealant specs and the stuff I used didn't work because it dries with contact with air and moisture, so basically the ends sealed and the middle stayed uncured. Even with the ends cured maybe 1/16" deep was enough to get warmed up and five miles on it before it blew out. Fluid doesn't seem to effect even the uncured stuff.
About a 7-10 days by ground at a cost of $1600 with out a coverter.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Banned

I found one thing. A gouge right where the o-ring goes.
I already prepped and filled it with epoxy. I never thought this was deep enough to cause a leak, but it's the only thing left to try.

The red line indicates where it was, the yellow paint on the ruler is where the o-ring ends up.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Banned

Heres how it sits, running at 155 degrees, mid 80's outside, been run hard, fluid level full.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! I told ya not to give up lol
Old 01-05-2009, 04:46 PM
9 Second Club

funny i am running into this same problem with a customer's car. glad you got this fixed
Old 01-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Banned

Thats it, must have been the scratch in the aluminum. I had this trans in my 2002 since 22,500 miles and it's always leaked. 1st time I seen the scratch I smothed it with sandpaper. The sealant idea was a nightmare, that crap is like tire rubber. They failed to say it needs air to dry (or I missed it on the tech sheet) so basically it cures on the ends leaving the middle uncured for who knows how long.

I epoxied the scratch, tracked down a National seal for piece of mind, got a Fel Pro pan gasket. Reused my SPX filter because the POS from autozone leaked (could blow into it with the intake covered up, would leak out of the sides). Reused a pump gasket and o-ring I had, used bolt o-rings from a broken up kit. Installed it all with oil, no sealer on anything.

Heres an average before pic fwiw. Not too bad, used about a quart a month if that. But it was making a mess under the car.

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 01-06-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Bro, good job finally tracking it down...

Your last 3 pics don't show up ("image has been moved or deleted")... any chance of posting the images....?

Quick Reply: How do you get the pump to stop leaking? I tried it all