Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Fluid Levels

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E Fluid Levels

I have searched for an explination on what I'm experiencing and I havn't found anything of it's nature.

I got my Z28 with about 90+ thousand miles and I have been going through all the fluids and putting fresh stuff in.

I have noticed that on the trans dipstick the fluid level changes everytime I check it. It will go up and down from the bottom of the crosshatch to the top of the crosshatch every time I dip it in to chect it.

This was happening before I changed the fluid and filter in the trans. Tonight I changed the fluid and filter, put 5 qts. in and went out for a drive. Came back and the level goes back and forth from the bottom to the top of the crosshatch and vise versa.

Can someone help me out because I have not seen this condition before?
Old 10-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Bump......Anyone?
Old 10-02-2008, 01:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know why it would fluctuate so much, but I
went to truck pan and its low-in-the-juice pickup
tube / filter, just so I wouldn't care.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you checking it exactly like it says in the manual? Right temp, going through and stopping for 3 seconds in each gear, not after highway driving, etc? I had a heck of a time getting mine right after my Vig install.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Are you checking it exactly like it says in the manual? Right temp, going through and stopping for 3 seconds in each gear, not after highway driving, etc? I had a heck of a time getting mine right after my Vig install.
I'm pretty sure?......I will have to go back and look to refresh my memory but I know the fluid is hot to the touch.

I also run it through the gears and everytime I check it it still shows up different on the dipstick everytime.

Hopefully one of our sponsers can expand on this a little more. I'm just having a real hard time with this for some reason.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a hard time getting an accurate reading also. its a stupid dipstick design if you ask me. i wish it has tiny holes like the oil dipstick. it is weird how it flucuates so much for you.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
i have a hard time getting an accurate reading also. its a stupid dipstick design if you ask me. i wish it has tiny holes like the oil dipstick. it is weird how it flucuates so much for you.
I just went to go check it again following the owner's manual exactly and I still get different readings on the dipstick. It will bounce back and forth from the bottom of the crosshatch to just over the top of the cross hatch.

I did happen to see something positive though...........................

I get more readings at just over the top of the cross hatch rather than the readings of it being at the bottom of the cross hatch.

Any Ideas?
Old 10-03-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

i know for me with clean fluid it would give me different readings depending on the speed that i pulled the dipstick out and the angle i held it on. in my opinion it just sucks trying to get it right. i used the average of 10 pulls and tried to pull it the same each time
Old 10-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Seems to be a common issue?
Old 10-04-2008, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

I have the same problem too. I got fed up with it and just said screw it . When it reads obviously low is when I'll put fluid in.

Think of it this way. Now with all the times you've pulled it in and out and wiped the dipstick, you should probably add more fluid for all of it that you wasted trying to get the same reading
Old 10-05-2008, 07:25 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think if you are getting different readings every other time you check it at the same temp, add a little bit more to it if it seems low.

Quick Reply: 4L60E Fluid Levels