Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Hello from SAM Racing - School of Automotive Machinist

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Hello from SAM Racing - School of Automotive Machinist

Press Release for School of Automotive Machinists
Announcing a New Automotive Course
CNC Automotive Machining

The School of Automotive Machinists is proud to announce the start of our new Automotive Engine CNC Machining Program beginning Spring of 2009.

This course will allow students to learn and gain experience in the setup, programming and operation of 5-axis CNC machining. Students will thoroughly explore all aspects of the machining center including digitizing and G-code programming. With the industry quickly turning to these highly sophisticated and accurate machines, this course will qualify graduates as a CNC automotive machinist. Our course will also prepare them for employment in the most technologically advanced shops in motorsports. The CNC class will be taught on an industry leading Haas ES-5-4T Horizontal Machining Center allowing hands on training from the most basic techniques to the most complex 5th axis cylinder head porting.

Check out the SAM Racing team at http://www.samracing.com/teamsam.html

For more information regarding this course and others SAM has to offer, please visit our website at www.samracing.com or send us an email to admissions@samracing.com
Attached Thumbnails Hello from SAM Racing - School of Automotive Machinist-sam-pic-cnc-1.jpg  
Old 02-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Banned

I wish you luck. I've been offering Chevrolet sales job in Ohio for some time and found no takers.

Many folks aren't hungry enough to learn a new skill. Take a job for experience or move.
You've got to love a country where generation after generation. FXXX it, I've said enough.

Jakes Dad
Old 02-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Banned

Thanks Jakes Dad,

Automotive sales have been tough for a while. We understand economy is bad that might be the lack of interest in your offerings, but when there is a lack of jobs available we have found from our research that people go back to school to expand there knowledge and learn a skilled trade.

Good luck with your sales.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:33 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The course sounds like a lot of fun - and when you're doing this for a living, your clients don't think you're trying to pull on over on them (and you don't work 12 hour days for possibly nothing).
Old 02-28-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
I wish you luck. I've been offering Chevrolet sales job in Ohio for some time and found no takers.

Many folks aren't hungry enough to learn a new skill. Take a job for experience or move.
You've got to love a country where generation after generation. FXXX it, I've said enough.

Jakes Dad

Plenty of people are more then willing to learn a new skill, this time last year I was working on airplanes, now I have a desk job.

With GM being in the news every day, tons of lay-offs, dealerships not selling cars....... if it was you would you be trying to get a job in car sales? I know guys that did it when times were still good and they said it was still hard.

I know there is good money in it and all but you have to look at it from the outside.

SAM and some other school are a good opertunity for people, Id love to go to SAM if the cost was not threw the roof. I like how they say that graduates will be prepared for employment doing what they went to school for instead of being like some school that say you will make big money your first year out when the people working in that industry (any industry) know thats not tre and all these kids come flocking in and is sucks for them when they get done with school haha.

There is a local who is one of the best head porters in the country and like 90% of his work is shipped to him.... does mostly race stuff, has even done Pro Stock and does some work from time to time for one of the best LS shops in the country. He has 20+ years doing this for a living.

I talked to him about SAM to get his opinion and he said that he has worked with SAM grads that were fresh out of school and has had them work for him and he said that from what he has seen the SAM grads have a rather good idea on what they are doing and are very familiar with the basics and can work about any machine they see or can figure it out. Other schools its the other way around.

It is nice to find out a school that is legit when you ask someone that does not work for them, did not go there, currently employ grads, ect ect.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:41 PM

If any of you know auto parts and are looking for look you should check out the Automotive Jobs available with Advance Auto parts, inc. They are a nationwide company so there is most likely a position near you.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

i wanna go to sams bad but my parents wont support me they say its too high and the just wat my money lol
Old 02-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dont z20h8
i wanna go to sams bad but my parents wont support me they say its too high and the just wat my money lol
You get out what you put in. I went there. I feel its paying off.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
You get out what you put in. I went there. I feel its paying off.
like any other case is im nervous i wont be able to find a job even tho i want to open my own shop
Old 02-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dont z20h8
like any other case is im nervous i wont be able to find a job even tho i want to open my own shop
We have job placement assistance when you get finished with school. We will sit down with you and help you with your resume and look into where you want to go work. We have an official placement rate of 95% in the motorsports industry.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:32 AM
Teching In

Yes I agree that you get what you put in at SAM I went to SAM eight years ago and after i graduated was pretty successful for the first six years. I have a pretty good resume with four years working at Greg Goods shop porting heads and machining ...... Now I am unemployed doing the occasional side job and when I tried to get a regular job the manager looks at my previous salaries and experience and tells me I am over qualified, which I thought would be a good, but I guess not.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Im going to be attending this school in August of 2011.....I cant wait. Looking forward to getting back out of Maine and meeting new people. Im 25, Engaged, and have 2 young kids...I really hope that this works out for me. Im taking a leap of faith (with the support of my family) and hoping to gain a career, experience and friends.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

I am just curious how much does a job in the machineing field typically pay. I am a diesel tech and make good money so I am just wondering if I could have the same pay or better by going to school for this thanx.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by somZ2801
I am just curious how much does a job in the machineing field typically pay. I am a diesel tech and make good money so I am just wondering if I could have the same pay or better by going to school for this thanx.
The pay I experienced on commision after becoming efficient was the equivalent of around 18-25/hr when times were good. My salary positions were from 17-23/hr+ and when doing my own jobs would pay about 40-50/hr. I don't think this is typical most of my friends that went to SAM after leaving usually started out between 13-15/hr. Their are only a handful of people that I personally know that are making over 65k+ a year that is very few people 3or4. Most of the people I knew at SAM are not even in the industry anymore they couldn't find jobs or couldn't make enough money. Which is why the more you apply yourself at SAM the better chances you will make it. You will have access to a great network of people who will sometimes help you out though. I am still looking for work since my last gig alot of shops I tried went out of business after I sent resumes. I don't regret going to SAM I know the industry has taken a hard hit. I learned alot but learned 10 times as much working in good shop. If you do your part at the school you will learn more than you can remember and will be around some of the best engine and cylinder head guys in the industry.

Last edited by matt d.; 02-24-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

If y'all don't mind me asking this flat out, how much does SAM typically cost?
Old 03-28-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by battousai
If y'all don't mind me asking this flat out, how much does SAM typically cost?
i think its like 30k for the block and head program idk about the cnc...
Old 04-05-2011, 11:28 PM

Jobs in every industry seem to be suffering. If you're looking for a job in the automotive field, I encourage you to look at AutoNation Automotive Jobs I've been there for four years and have loved everything they've offered.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

The block and head combo is 31,950 and the CNC course is 13,525.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 14 year old kid and he love to be around cars . I hope i can support him to study at SAM . I not only have to pay the studies but he have to move from Puerto Rico to Tx. I think with rigth actitud and knowlage he can be sucesful.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Went through all the classes offered at SAM, and was one incredible experience imo.

Quick Reply: Hello from SAM Racing - School of Automotive Machinist