Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

How to get a job on a drag racing team?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get a job on a drag racing team?

do i get a job with a drag racing team?? thats my question?? that would be the sickest job in the world besides actually getting to drive the cars lol
Old 03-17-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to a local track and volunteer for a team... do that for a few years gain some real practical experence and see where it takes you..... The economy is so bad rightnow and the employment situation in motorsports is so bad what little jobs left are filled by top notch people at reduced wages because of the ammount of people out of work,I would be careful with schools promising you the world.... bottom line is there in it for money....some arent but most are...Jobs in racing are cool but most of the time not all their cracked up to be....
Old 03-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Launching!

About 6 years back, i had a friend get hired on with John Forces team. He simply went to nationals in indy and handed each team member on any team that he came in contact with his resume. He just kept calling and calling and calling, finally they hired him on.

Note* he does have quite a bit of schooling and had about 5 years mechanics experience behind him.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Talk to teams in person and offer to volunteer around the shop sweeping the floors and emptying the trash. Then go to the track and ask teams if you can help out for free in exchange for experience.

Good luck finding a shop or team that would pay you with the economy but I bet you would get into the track free and get free meals.

Here is top fuel country its fairly easy to get in on a team if you are willing to work for nothing or very little and start from the bottom.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Something else that is helpful if you want to get on the professional level is to have a CDL. Most teams will be much more eager to hire/work with someone who can drive the truck too.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

With the economy the way it is, why not go back to school. At the School of Automotive Machinists, we teach high performance engine building. We have hundreds of graduates in the racing industry from NHRA, to NASCAR, to IRL, and so on. We have a great reputation for placing our graduates on top racing programs. Check us out at www.samracing.com. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:59 AM
9 Second Club

Best chance is probably starting low, if your talking about Drag Racing. Go to a local track that has 10.5 Outlaw races etc. Look around at the teams and just ask questions and get comfortable with them and maybe eventually they will need some help and you could chime in or something. Then maybe you will get hired and can move up from that point.

Just a thought.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:46 PM
8 Second Club

I worked on a couple Nitro Funny Cars for a few years, professionally, and got paid decent for what I did.

Best thing to do is to have a connection somewhere. I did from the school that I went to. An instructor and several previous students were hooked up with teams.

The next thing is to have a Class A CDL. Nowadays a team will not hire anyone without a CDL unless they absolutely have to. These teams nowadays have LOTS of equipent to move down the road, so everybody that works for them needs to be able to drive one of the many trucks that some of them have.

Next thing, like others have said, is to volunteer to work for free. This will at least get your foot in the door--the rest is easy.

One of the things that I did is that I went to as many races as I possibly could (even drove from Indiana to Englishtown once) and handed out resumes to every single team out there. I tried to talk to as many CREW CHIEFS as possible. You can talk to the crew guys, but they won't get you very far, you need to talk to the people that do the hiring. The best day to go is on Thursday, when they are at the track and setting up or serviceing their equipment/race car. They are not making passes so it's real easy to talk to people, it's a much more laid back atmosphere. Plus most of the time you can get in the gates for free. The next best time to talk is at the end of the day on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Try to hang out and wait until they are almost done serviceing the car and putting it away. Most of the teams will hang out after they are done for a while until they pack up and leave for the night.

Good luck!
Old 04-01-2009, 10:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
I worked on a couple Nitro Funny Cars for a few years, professionally, and got paid decent for what I did.

Best thing to do is to have a connection somewhere. I did from the school that I went to. An instructor and several previous students were hooked up with teams.

The next thing is to have a Class A CDL. Nowadays a team will not hire anyone without a CDL unless they absolutely have to. These teams nowadays have LOTS of equipent to move down the road, so everybody that works for them needs to be able to drive one of the many trucks that some of them have.

Next thing, like others have said, is to volunteer to work for free. This will at least get your foot in the door--the rest is easy.

One of the things that I did is that I went to as many races as I possibly could (even drove from Indiana to Englishtown once) and handed out resumes to every single team out there. I tried to talk to as many CREW CHIEFS as possible. You can talk to the crew guys, but they won't get you very far, you need to talk to the people that do the hiring. The best day to go is on Thursday, when they are at the track and setting up or serviceing their equipment/race car. They are not making passes so it's real easy to talk to people, it's a much more laid back atmosphere. Plus most of the time you can get in the gates for free. The next best time to talk is at the end of the day on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Try to hang out and wait until they are almost done serviceing the car and putting it away. Most of the teams will hang out after they are done for a while until they pack up and leave for the night.

Good luck!
Like he said the CDL is a big thing. I had an interview with Don Schumacher racing but couldnt take the job due to prior obligations. Be ready to do alot of driving. They go all over the country constantly.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

Driving everywhere Sucks ***** big time.... We fly in on our plane the day before and leave right after home that night...And Drag racing really does not pay that well compared to other forms of motorsports...
Old 04-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Teching In

be prepareed to be away from home for long periods of time(3-4 weeks) i'v got a buddy working for a top NHRA funny car team, and somethimes he's gone for weeks at a time, and they drive everywhere! Personally, i'm trying to get back in the Indycar Series, they fly there on friday before the race, and fly home after the race, usually, there's not a lot of long hours inbetween because there very efficient in preparing cars ahead of time. just my .02
Old 05-06-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

One of my Subaru customers son work on Ashley Forces car(was with Del Worsham prior year) and he had to have a CDL. He does a lot of driving in addition to all the turning.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:07 AM
10 Second Club

Drag racing would be fun in some ways but they do not pay well and again are always gone. ie: No life. Also, I don't think it would be fun to rebuild a whole car in less than 75 minutes in the dead of summer with 19 million people watching you. I would rather do less and make more.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Was recently approached by a top sportsman team for a job. Sounded good,...up until the part where you don't shower for a few days and sleep out of the truck for three weeks out of a month. I don't mind it for a while but,...after a while, it would get old being a dirty bitch every day. This team wasn't about hotels....and I didn't have a guarantee that i;d have a job forever. Still not sure if I am interested. If it was road raceing,...i'd probably go.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
Drag racing would be fun in some ways but they do not pay well and again are always gone. ie: No life. Also, I don't think it would be fun to rebuild a whole car in less than 75 minutes in the dead of summer with 19 million people watching you. I would rather do less and make more.
rebuilding an entire car in the ***** *** heat in 75 minutes with 19 million ppl watching you is the best part. i can pay 55 bucks for a ticket, and not watch one single race, just stand in the pits all day and watch them. cause that right there are the best of the best.

Quick Reply: How to get a job on a drag racing team?