Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?
View Poll Results: Is Wyotec a Good school?
Great School
9.40%
Good School
12.82%
Neither Good nor Bad
29.06%
Poor
13.68%
Terrible, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!
35.04%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Is Wyotec a good school?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 03:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Wyotec a good school?

The reason that I post this is that I have heard some bad things about programs like UTI. They just cram all of the info in your head, and pump you out. I am looking for a deep knowledge on how a car works inside and out. So I am looking for opinions of those gear heads out there who have heard more about it than I. Thanks guys.

Justin
Old 10-02-2009, 03:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks again for your input guys
Old 10-02-2009, 04:10 AM

to tell the truth i havent heard much about it. ive checked into UTI, looks great. sounds like they would cram it all in and pump ya right out as you said though. I want to know the same about Wyotech so some answers would be appreciatable!
Old 10-02-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

Honestly, I think you're best off learning at a 2yr college at the very least. That way, you'll have some sort of degree and you should learn the same things.
Trade schools just sort of turn me off. I've heard some bad stories and some great success stories.
If Wyotech is like UTI, then they want ALL the money up front. There is also very little free time, but you finish much quicker.
I've got one friend who graduated from a community college who now works at a dealership and has his own bay.
The other friend graduated from UTI and now works at a privately owned garage. They're both doing ok though.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

I had an instructor who went to UTI and he also said they just cram it in and pump you out. Also, they would have 80 students in a live lab, which is ridiculous compared to about 8 in my school. Maybe UTI has gotten better in recent years.

I know it's a long way from CA but i go to the State University of New York (SUNY) at Morrisville and they offer several 2 and 4 year automotive degrees. I'm an Auto Management major. It's a good school, great automotive classes.
morrisville.edu if you're interested.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Multimedia?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

I have 2 family members who went to Wyotech in Laramie and both have said they should have gone to a regular 2 year college. Thier biggest complaint was the pace of the course. They didnt have the time to get real indepth with the material.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Launching!

UTI and Wyotech are both pretty weak.. way too fast paced.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

I too just noticed this is in multimedia...
Old 10-02-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
I too just noticed this is in multimedia...
I didnt know where else to put it. Im probably dumb, but I didnt see a general discussion section when I posted it. Then again I was pretty tired that night.

Anyway, I am having real doubts about it. They want like $25,000 per course.

I am having serious doubts about the school.

I am thinking of going to the Michigan U to get a masters in physics and business. Then go to a smaller college for the auto stuff.

End result, I want to know how to build my own car. From the design of the engine, fabrication of the chassis (including the welding) and the customization of the interior. Basically I want to know how to do EVERYTHING with cars. Both gas and diesel.

Thanks again for your input guys
Old 10-02-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

If I need to move the thread, just let me know. Thx
Old 10-03-2009, 12:20 AM
TECH Regular

I think a 4 year school, or atleast a 2 year school is your best bet.
Most of the trade schools want a decent amount of money up front and backing down isn't an option unless you want to throw it all away.
Atleast with a college you can change majors or schools.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:54 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jwindbigler
The reason that I post this is that I have heard some bad things about programs like UTI. They just cram all of the info in your head, and pump you out. I am looking for a deep knowledge on how a car works inside and out. So I am looking for opinions of those gear heads out there who have heard more about it than I. Thanks guys.

Justin
http://www.deanza.edu/autotech/courses.htm

get your self a degree, certs, and a lot more knowledge from a college.

Plus its so much cheaper and you can get the fin. aid if you need it.

I have wyotech graduates in some of my classes, and they don't know a damn thing, honest to god.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

A few years ago in highschool I was planning on going to either Wyotech or Lincoln Tech though after talking to many people that went to Uti since it is basically the same type of school theres not much good going on there. I went to my local community college for two years and I have to say I am pretty sure it was the better decision. There teachers out look was we dont need to get through the book as long as you understand the material and can apply it to the vehicle.

I finished my Associates degree at community college and I just started my Junior year at Southern Il Univeristy and they have the #1 rated automotive program in the country. My current teacher is just a ridiculous amount of information and I can not say anything bad about to program down here. And the job openings to siu graduates are rediculous. I get an email each week with about 10-15 companys looking for interns and grad students to hire.

There is one student in my current class who graduated from Uti about 4-5 years ago and he got a job with lexus right our of school. And he was only making 23k a year working at a dealership. A few other people who work for my grandmother ( One went to lincoln and the other to uti) Dont even work in the field as they can make better money else where unless you get a pretty good gig and get sent out to a Mfg school right out of Wyotech.

So to Sum it up. Save your money . Go to community college get your associates and then see if you want to continue your education from there. Or if it even the field you want to go into. I personally hate working on cars and c.c. taught me that which is why I am going for my Masters to do something more business end of the industry.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a few buddies that went to wyo-tech, they claimed they had some great instruters; and some idiots. just depends what you want to focus on. i do know if you want to do machine work S.A.M is a decant school.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say go to a community school. LOTS of threads on this and the other automotive schools with some good reading.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Teching In

UTI is the only way to go! I'm attending the campus here in Phoenix and its great so far. The program I'm on lasts 18 months and when I graduate I will also have my associates degree.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well it sounds like that community college is the way to go. I think that I will stick with that route for now. I am absorbing a lot of material here. Not too fast, not too slow. So its not bad.

To sum it up, I guess that I will stay away from places like UTI, and Wyotec. I was rather curious on Lincoln Tech though. I had a buddy swear by it. Thanks for your inputs guys, keep em coming
Old 10-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

If you want to get into the high performance automotive field, check out the School of Automotive Machinists (www.samracing.com). We focus on high performance engine building. From the theory behind everything to the hands on machining and building. We have small classes that are focused on making you the best engine builder you can be. We are not about numbers and pumping out people. Our list of employers that higher our graduates is second to none. Check us out and if you have any questions please feel free to ask here or PM me.
-David
Old 10-10-2009, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Picking a school all depends what kind of job you want. I am attending wyotech because i want to build high performance chassis. Community colleges do not teach you how to draw up frames on paper and build them. In the chassis shop students build their own lotus super 7 and sandrail frames and more. The school is a lot shorter yes but you go to school for over 40 hours a week. The school may be more expensive yes, but it is a hell of a lot shorter, we could finish in as little as 9 months and be out in the field working, makeing money, and gaining experience which is the best part, while a community college you dink around for atleast 2 years not making money and not gaining in field experience.

Quick Reply: Is Wyotec a good school?