Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Just curious, any A&P technicians here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the younger guys here, Juiced96Z is correct. He is wise in his years. I would print out his advice because it will help you out 100 fold.

One thing I might want to add, if I may, is if you're looking for that "extra" thing to give you an advantage, check out NDT (nondestructive testing), especially eddy current and ultrasonics. The 787 is composites which they will use a lot of ultrasonics inspection. It is an easy job and would be huge. I've been offered the contract job for 1 year open ended in SC, but I have an another offer that I can't possibly turn down(yes, its that good).

I'm not an A&P, I'm NDT Level II Ultrasonics, Eddy Current, Liquid Penetrant, Visual and Magnetic Particle. If you decide to check out that route, don't be afraid to ask/pm me questions.

I do know that if you have your A&P and Level II in a few NDT methods, you can get on with the FAA and other companies pretty easy. Think how easy it would be if you were A&P, Avionics, Sheet Metal and NDT cert'd.

A friend of mine, who has both A&P as well as Level II certs in NDT, works at Gulfstream in Charleston, SC and enjoys it a lot. I use to work for Bombardier performing inspections on the frame, structures and landing gear of their 200/700/900 aircraft. Also worked full time with Pratt & Whitney on the F100-220/229 engines (F15/16) in San Antonio Tx as well as the Space Shuttle Main Engines (SSME) at West Palm Beach, FL. As a contractor, I worked for Pratt & Whitney also working on 220/229 engines as well as the F119 (F22) and the F135 (JSF) engines.

Hope this helps. Just more food for thought.

Last edited by DarkblueTA; 01-09-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just finished up my A&P in June of 09 and finally got my card in the mail right before x-mas....know i just have to finish another 8yrs in the air force before i can try to use it..lol..im going to try to get as much schooling done as possible before i retire. i think 20 yrs exp in the military should be enough experience.iv been stuck to h-53's and c130's (t-64) (t-56) trying to get over sea's to work H-60's (t-700)
I may never work aircraft after i retire, if i save enough, id like to start my own restoration shop/speed shop
Old 01-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my Airframe O&Ps on Halloween I got my airframe card in early january.

Say I was to start up in NDT, is there schooling availible? Can I just run sign up and enter school and get ratings. Also any clue on the costs?
Old 01-29-2010, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

A lot of times the company will offer a course kinda ojt but somr times it you will only be certified for that company as far as schools that i don't kow but i was dissapointed that they did'nt really spend any time in class doing n.d.t
Old 01-31-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Veteran

I am an A&P as well, with a military background too. Less then a year from my B.S. in Pro Aero with 3 minors through Embry Riddle.
Alot of good information in here. Depending on what you like there are alot of options out there. I have worked fixed wings and mainly work on Rotory Wing now. Do not look away from helicopters, especially in areas that have alot of them.
The only down side to Aviation vs. Automotive, you can damn near find a job anywhere in automotive. I work mostly Military Contracts now on helicopters. Don't need my A&P for this job, but I have it. The money is out there. Good luck. I normally look for jobs through www.jsfirm.com. Its mostly for experianced aviation jobs but you never know.
Yea NDT is definitly something I would like to get under my belt as well. It will lead you anywhere. It is definitly something to look into. Alot of A&P schooles just focus on what the FAA requires to pass there test, you will learn so much more once you start working out there. As long as its a good facility that has a good work ethic.

Last edited by bd mnky; 01-31-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Just curious, any A&P technicians here?