Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Need input on some automotive careers

Old 01-20-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need input on some automotive careers

Well, i've been wasting my time at a community college for 2.5 years now. It seems the more im there, the more i realize that its not for me... Every time im at classes i cant stop but think about cars, engines and definitely eager to learn more.

The reason i havent looked into that specific career is for the fear of ending up at a Jiffy Lube or somewhere like that and be making $15 an hour with no overtime...

I was wondering whether or not an automotive career which makes $35 an hour or more after graduating a certain automotive school????????? I know some jobs are like that... (ex: RN, tech engineer etc.)

If so, what kind of school, should i consider to attend?

Please no flames, just feedback thanx
Old 02-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Well I went to UTI been wrenchin ever since. For about 6 years now worked in about every thing from race teams to diesel trucks to dealerships. And what they say about 35an hour they are Full of ****! Never have met a single person in the field that has made that unless they have 25 years experience. And flat rate is no joke especially with chrysler you will get screwed. Keep in mind why would somebody pay you 35 an hour right out of school when there a tons of kids who will do it for 13-20 thats what I pay Im a shop owner now. Employees are a big investment for employers especially when benefits come into play. Employers have to in my state pay an additional 14.450% of your wage over what you get paid for taxes. I try to figure in insurance but a family insurance plan is roughly 375 for a family that are non smokers and 30 years old with one child that isn't sick in good health. So let me put it to you like this you get paid 18/hr with benefits you would be getting 21.12/hr and you cost your employer a little over 4k a month after taxes. Not trying to discourage but the numbers they give you aren't true and don't expect that. I have a friend that has been working at lexus in Phoenix, Az and he gets 13.50/hr flat rate and has been doing that for 6 years, and is lucky to flag 40hrs a week. Flat Rate pays you with the work you sell and goes off of labor standards so if your slow and everyone is when they start you will have a rough time and word of advise work at a shop while in school cuz alot of places wont hire someone if they have no experience. good luck feel free to pm me with ?s I don't mind.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

what he said, im in a auto program now and working at a honda dealer. flat rate is tough and the guy at the shop thats been there 15 years doesent make 35 an hour flat rate.

times are tough now too, most of the guys are barely making 35-40 hours a week.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

what he just said gave me a headache.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:42 PM
12 Second Club

Theres no money in this ****. I'm getting paid just under $20/hr and i'm 24, working with and making the same money as guys who have worked in a shop longer than I've been born. good thing i'm a computer programming major and i'll be out of this **** hole soon.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

i kind of expected these types of responses.

Thanx for the feedback and bringing me back to reality guys.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Go to SAM.

Let me dig up an old post.

Here it is:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/12879757-post22.html
Old 03-19-2010, 04:49 AM
Teching In

Well I went to UTI been wrenchin ever since. For about 6 years now worked in about every thing from race teams to diesel trucks to dealerships. And what they say about 35an hour they are Full of ****! Never have met a single person in the field that has made that unless they have 25 years experience

true statement. i finished uti , went through a graduate program they offered. i moved out east i was honestly makin real good money. the first year i cleared just over 40k being hourly. the next yer if i would have stuck aroun the whole year i would have probably hit 60k. But i also had an apprentice that i got half of the hours he booked , so my 50 would become 65. I left towards the end of 08 right before the floor fell out. Since then i moved back to chicago work the franchise chain thing absolutely horendous. Worked at a few dealers out here as well. No place pays well they all know they can replace you for cheaper, uti ruined the technician market. Half the time i avoid saying i went there
Old 04-04-2010, 06:20 AM
On The Tree

Im in the automotive program at a local community college in NC. Im not in it for the money, im in the field because I LOVE cars/trucks. Its not about the money, its about what makes me (you) happy. Im sure ill make enough to take care of myself, car, truck, and my dog. And the woman that may come along later. And thats all I can ask for. Its all in what you want. For me I love to wrench on vehicles and wouldn't wanna do anything else. Ive wanted to wrench since I was 11-12, and everyone told me that I wouldn't make it and ill change my mind, but I stuck to my dreams/goals and kept chuggin along. Like I said its all in what you want and what makes you happy.

Just my $.02 and my opinion. Take it how you wish.

Take it easy,
Will
Old 05-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through the GM ASEP program about 7 years ago. I stayed at my sponsoring dealership up until last year when I moved. I was at 18/hr and the new dealership I am at pays me the same. I have a ton of training including hands on at the GM training centers and it didn't help me get anymore money. Dealerships are **** these days. They are a bunch of f'n crooks. I believe every dealership should be union just like the assembly plants. Hell, they get paid more than most techs with better benefits and don't have to know **** or continue training like technicians do. This field has gotten f'd up. It's hard to get any customer pay jobs anymore cause warranties (powertrain) are up to 100k miles. If the cars are just out of warranty, my dealer usually goodwills the job meaning I have to do it for warranty time which is a joke. This field needs a serious overhaul cause dealers are robbing customers and technicians blind. What's even worse is that the service writers make more than I do and don't have to do **** or know a damn thing. In my opinion, most service writers are the scum of the earth just like car salesmen. I am currently looking at getting back into school for a career change cause I can't stand my job. If I was you I wouldn't even think about doing this for a living, cause It won't be a very good living. I love to work on cars, but I hate my job every single f'n day. Keep cars as a hobby, not a career.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rkinney
I went through the GM ASEP program about 7 years ago. I stayed at my sponsoring dealership up until last year when I moved. I was at 18/hr and the new dealership I am at pays me the same. I have a ton of training including hands on at the GM training centers and it didn't help me get anymore money. Dealerships are **** these days. They are a bunch of f'n crooks. I believe every dealership should be union just like the assembly plants. Hell, they get paid more than most techs with better benefits and don't have to know **** or continue training like technicians do. This field has gotten f'd up. It's hard to get any customer pay jobs anymore cause warranties (powertrain) are up to 100k miles. If the cars are just out of warranty, my dealer usually goodwills the job meaning I have to do it for warranty time which is a joke. This field needs a serious overhaul cause dealers are robbing customers and technicians blind. What's even worse is that the service writers make more than I do and don't have to do **** or know a damn thing. In my opinion, most service writers are the scum of the earth just like car salesmen. I am currently looking at getting back into school for a career change cause I can't stand my job. If I was you I wouldn't even think about doing this for a living, cause It won't be a very good living. I love to work on cars, but I hate my job every single f'n day. Keep cars as a hobby, not a career.
Amen, truer words have never been spoken. I got out after almost 20 years in dealers. I was a GM master Tech and my last year I only made $15K GROSS from Jan 2009 till Oct 2009 when I got out. I will never turn a wrench for a living again.

Last edited by Tall Guy; 10-13-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:16 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tall Guy
Amen, truer words have never been spoken. I got out after 20+ years in dealers. I was a GM master Tech and my last year I only made $15K GROSS from Jan 2009 till Oct 2009 when I got out. I will never turn a wrench for a living again.
$15K? Holy ****....
Old 05-05-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

Don't do it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need input on some automotive careers