Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

question for an ase cert mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 06:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mercccc
it def has potential to be rewarding allways a need for good techs who take pride and do fix stuff right the first time. like turbostangjon said it would have been nice to get honost pros/cons of being a tech. its just brutal when youre 17 and uti reps come in to the high school auto shop claiming in 4 years u cud make 100 grand plus a year to suck you into a usless 20k dollar school....
That's funny that you mention UTI because after high school in 2001 I went to UTI in Houston, TX. I was in that program for 3 weeks and I got a phone call from Mark Davis (the current director of the southeast training facility in Lake Mary, FL) asking if I wanted to join ASEP. At the time he was only director of ASEP and I started to blow him off because he told me previously that spots were closed for 2 years. In the end, a spot opened up and I thank Mark everyday for being persistant on the phone and getting me enrolled. I quit UTI and two days later flew to Florida to join the program. Not many instructors will enroll you, delay the payment at a community college, and have you walk into class without filling out paperwork. I was going to say to this person that if automotive is truly what you want in life then look into this program. I ended up getting a scholarship through NADA and it helped that the person who owned the dealership (Alan Starling) was also the current president of NADA. I know NADA and local automotive dealership associations give out scholarships to young technicians. Might be something to look into and it was nice not having to pay for school. I would really recommend not paying for something that you can possibly get for free. GM also has a program for young high school students that want to learn about the field but I can't remember the program name or abbreviation. I know this because we had a student every year from this program that consisted of a sponsorship and a free Snap-On tool box. I was pretty jealous that a high-school student got a free Snap-On box full of tools lol.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:34 AM
On The Tree

ya an unbiased picture of what 90 percent of auto techs will see...its the truth
Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After much consideration - I am going back to school for a "real" degree(bachelor's in either economics or CIS).

I am too old to start from the bare bottom in cut throat shops and I need a more of a solid future with solid pay.

Schooling in today's society is quite important. The only way I believe you can make "real" money now is with either higher education, a homey hook up in the work field or a business that you are good at.

I don't have anyone to give me a nice paying job or the opportunity to even start in a semi good paying job. And as far as business goes, I know quite a few trades now. But, construction in AZ is very slow and there is not enough room to break into the business.

I just wish I had this understanding ten years ago. But, you learn these kind of things with time.

My goal now is to make 70k+ by the age of 40. I am 30 now and I believe ten years is enough to get to that point.

I just don't see myself being a mechanic making that kind of money at that age. I worked with a guy at my cable job who was 15 years older then I am. He was in good shape, but man you can just see the wear on this guy. I ran circles around him all day. He always said the same thing: Never do a extreme physical job at his age. I am taking that advice.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by samson_420
After much consideration - I am going back to school for a "real" degree(bachelor's in either economics or CIS).

I am too old to start from the bare bottom in cut throat shops and I need a more of a solid future with solid pay.

Schooling in today's society is quite important. The only way I believe you can make "real" money now is with either higher education, a homey hook up in the work field or a business that you are good at.

I don't have anyone to give me a nice paying job or the opportunity to even start in a semi good paying job. And as far as business goes, I know quite a few trades now. But, construction in AZ is very slow and there is not enough room to break into the business.

I just wish I had this understanding ten years ago. But, you learn these kind of things with time.

My goal now is to make 70k+ by the age of 40. I am 30 now and I believe ten years is enough to get to that point.

I just don't see myself being a mechanic making that kind of money at that age. I worked with a guy at my cable job who was 15 years older then I am. He was in good shape, but man you can just see the wear on this guy. I ran circles around him all day. He always said the same thing: Never do a extreme physical job at his age. I am taking that advice.
At least you've realized it and kudos to you for wanting to better yourself. I'm about the same age and it took me a couple of years to realize that I could do better. It just took a hard labor pain in the *** job to make me realize it lol.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Yup, I can got to school and I will. . . .

The ways to make a living really have changed. . . . If everything was not the way it is, I would stay at my cable man job until I retired. Decent work for decent pay. . . . . It does not work like that any more.

When I got hired on, that's the way it was. At least 40% of the guys were 50+ and were just hanging out. Said the same thing to me, just take it easy and it 20 years retire. . . . . . . But, the economy had a different plan.

The company took a hit and retired everyone that was within one year of retirement with a 40% penalty. They had no choice to take it, one guy refused and got fired.

Lovely. . . . . . .

Education now is more important then ever. Soon you will need a BA to change oil. . . lol
Old 03-12-2011, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any job is what you make of it. I've been in the automotive field for 7 years now, 5 at chevy dealerships. I dont like dealing with people which elimiates a bunch of jobs. Some days I really dont like it, but most days its not too bad. If you dont BS all day long and do your work, you can make time on most things and make a decent living.

Its a great feeling when you get something fixed that 3 or 4 other shops couldnt figure out and they told the customer to "take it to the dealership" because they had already hung $2k worth of parts on it. I like the challenge of figuring things out, I love electrical work.

Monday morning I get to pull the dash out of a C6. How often do you get to tear a dash out of a $60k car?

On top of that, if you keep up with your training, you can work on the latest and greatest stuff. Like this car I got to take out a few months back:

then somedays you work on this crap:

Old 03-12-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

LoL. . . . . . Sounds about right. . . . . But, also why should you work on someone else's 60k car when you can't own one of your own?

I always wanted to work on high end cars. But, now to think about it. . . . I rather own one or two then work on someone else's. . . . .
Old 03-12-2011, 04:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by samson_420
LoL. . . . . . Sounds about right. . . . . But, also why should you work on someone else's 60k car when you can't own one of your own?

I always wanted to work on high end cars. But, now to think about it. . . . I rather own one or two then work on someone else's. . . . .
Get a job as a valet if you want to drive high end cars lol.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

I went to the GM ASEP Program after H.S., was a Dealer Tech for a few years, then moved on to a independent shop that specialized in rear ends and tranny's.

Eventually, I got so sick of working on cars. My project car at the time started to rot away and I was just unhappy. It ruined my hobby and my passion for cars.

One day, I smartened up and got out of the business. I make more money now then I ever would have as a tech and I love cars again.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Who said I couldnt afford a 60k car? I could probably afford a 60k car, but I'm saving for a house. Plus being single with a kid it just isnt practical at this time. I'll have one eventually.

I did very well last year pay wise and I dont plan on quitting the business anytime soon. I keep making more and more every year so until it starts to drop, I'll stay in the business. This year I should clear 10k over last year.
I wont say how much but if you must know you can PM me.

Vehicles are machines and they will always have to be fixed and maintained. And even as the engineers get younger and more stupid, the more I get to fix and the more money I make.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by joshp14
Who said I couldnt afford a 60k car? I could probably afford a 60k car, but I'm saving for a house. Plus being single with a kid it just isnt practical at this time. I'll have one eventually.

I did very well last year pay wise and I dont plan on quitting the business anytime soon. I keep making more and more every year so until it starts to drop, I'll stay in the business. This year I should clear 10k over last year.
I wont say how much but if you must know you can PM me.

Vehicles are machines and they will always have to be fixed and maintained. And even as the engineers get younger and more stupid, the more I get to fix and the more money I make.
Regardless of what you make I believe better options exist for the OP. For instance, show me 1 technician doing well and I'll show you 100 who are stuck in a dead end career or moved on to better things. Also, I don't know many technicians who can "afford" a $60,000 dollar car. Annually you would need to make double the sticker price in order to not be strained at the end of the month. In this case that would mean $120,000 a year or we can lowball it at $100,000. What's the average technician make? $50,000? $60,000? $70,000 (for warranty scammers and customer rapers)? That's still $30,000 away from being able to properly afford a $60,000 dollar car. In the end, the "average" technician cannot afford a $60,000 dollar car and if they do it's not under normal circumstances.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
Regardless of what you make I believe better options exist for the OP. For instance, show me 1 technician doing well and I'll show you 100 who are stuck in a dead end career or moved on to better things. Also, I don't know many technicians who can "afford" a $60,000 dollar car. Annually you would need to make double the sticker price in order to not be strained at the end of the month. In this case that would mean $120,000 a year or we can lowball it at $100,000. What's the average technician make? $50,000? $60,000? $70,000 (for warranty scammers and customer rapers)? That's still $30,000 away from being able to properly afford a $60,000 dollar car. In the end, the "average" technician cannot afford a $60,000 dollar car and if they do it's not under normal circumstances.
I would agree that better options exist as a starting career. In fact if I were to do it over again I wouldnt take this career to start with. And yes I will also agree with the fact that not many are doing well...I'm just stating that not everyone is in the same boat and some people enjoy this as a career. I'm by no means a warranty scammer, but there are guys out there that do that. I'm living very comfortable right now so if it doesnt change, neither will my career.

I didnt realize there was a 'proper' way to afford a car. Either you can or you can't. If you can manage your money the 'proper' way then you can afford one without having to make 120k/year, or even half that.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by larson99
or really any one who would know

In the summer im starting an automechanic program at a local comunity college. mechanics is pretty much the only thing i can see my self wanting to do with my life. butttttt i dont wana be changing the plugs on grandmas minivan i would want to do something more rewarding such as working at a speed shop or a race team of sumwhat. i just have no idea how to get to that point. is there special schooling for performance work or do you get an ase and try to aprentace somewere? could you guys let me know i have no clue on who else to ask
Doing an automech program at a local comm college is a good place to start. Tuition is affordable, and I had fantastic teachers who were really dedicated to turning out good mechanics. I'm sure other programs are like this too but ours required a co-op. The coordinators would fall all over themselves to find you a job...how many places do that now a days?

We all started as the low man on the totem pole...some of my friends worked in the oil change bays, I did PDI's (new car inspections...wish I had that job back it was GRAVY and I turned serious hours). Eventually we all moved up to be line mechanics. Yes, changing plugs in grandma's lumina and trying to hunt down an electrical problem in the dash of a minivan that smells like spit up milk ******* SUCKS, but you have to start at the bottom....good experience and makes you appreciate **** later in life.

Comm college degree + ASE's + a couple years at a dealership = now you're starting to look appealing to a shop. Find a good local shop and leave your resume, no none of us will hire you right off the bat but be persistant. Once again work your way in from the bottom, be on time, have a good attitude and work ethic, and eventually you will start working on cool stuff...
Old 03-16-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Decide what you would like to do, or what job would you be the happiest doing and then go from there. Chasing a job or a career just because of the money can make for some very long and sad days.

Quick Reply: question for an ase cert mechanic