Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Would you guys hire someone who trained at UTI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
I have heard of some people making quit a bit of money off the GI bill while they go to school because they pay BAH too.
Yes I think you get BAH for E5 with dependents if you're considered a full time student.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Go to real college on the GI bill and get a real job. Don't make your hobby your job. I went to UTI and did the BMW thing 9 years ago. I went back to college last year because I am tired of working on cars. The performance side is alot of fun, but most likely you will be working on grocery getters doing normal maintenance or repairs. Sure it would be fun to be bolting on turbos on 8 seconds cars all day long, or dyno tuning big blocks all day, but the market is bigger on daily drivers. I wish that I would have went to college when I was 18.
This is good advice for me too. I was in to the automotive field before I joined the military. I looked at myself one day and decided that I didnt want to come home every day with my hands stained black, making a max of $60k a year, when I had so many friends in the IT field that made 100K and worked a general 9-5. I kept cars my hobby and did something else.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Im one of UTI's very few sucess storys if you apply your self and aim for 100% attendance youll find a job if you blend into the student body youll be a lube tech at pepboys. In order for UTI to work for you you have to make it into an MSAT and BMW is the only good one left sense AUDI pulled the plug. I work at a huge BMW service center in north dallas and make really good money and they take care of me. theres even a race group that I get to work with from time to time. but if your looking at a job in the high performance industry well good luck cuz unless you know people thats the only way your gonna get into it. I got lucky 1 year before graduation and stumbled into a job at a Fab shop buliding race cars specifically roll cages.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
The money in the dealership was good. I made 70-80 many years and had 2 years at 92,000. There is more to life than money. I am trying to get a job with the city. Its all about the benefits.
Thats good money.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lsxc4vette
Thats good money.
That's good money but far from typical. I think any decent technician can make 50K without much trouble.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:53 AM
On The Tree

The GI bill is paying $1000 for a full time student load which I beleave is 12 credit hours. While your still inlisted take full advantage of all certificates and college you can as its all FREE!!! I got out with only needing 6 credit hours for a degree. My Cheif that was on my ship took full advantage and and got all the way up to getting his masters.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:03 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by t72ss402
The GI bill is paying $1000 for a full time student load which I beleave is 12 credit hours. While your still inlisted take full advantage of all certificates and college you can as its all FREE!!! I got out with only needing 6 credit hours for a degree. My Cheif that was on my ship took full advantage and and got all the way up to getting his masters.
It depends on if you have the 9/11 or the chapter 30 GI bill. I have the 9/11I get bah for E5 with dependents and I take 9 credit hours. one class at the school and the rest online because I work full time. Your BAH is for where you live. There is no set amount.

The chapter 30 or the old GI bill is where you get the set amount of 1000 or whatever it is now. 9/11 is the way to go.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Run like hell, you don't want to work on cars for a living.
Amen brother you hit that nail on the head!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2011, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

Another somewhat UTI success story. I had a 4 year degree and several sales jobs, but decided to go back to school for automotive and went to UTI. I will echo what Pope said, that if you blend in, you will work at Pepboys. The only advantage UTI has in my book is the connection to the MSAT programs. I graduated with at 4.0 and broke the record on the final exam and was recruited by all except Porsche, noone gets into Porsche, haha. I chose Audi and that program was excellent. While at the dealer I worked with 3 other UTI graduates. 2 of them were great, the other was very very sloppy and just wanted to change parts. That said the top mechanic at the dealer was a 26 year old guy who started working part time at another dealer in highschool and worked his way up. Because he had all certifications he had a very nice guarantee.

After working at the dealer I ended up taking a Service Manager job for a major tire retailer. Talk about getting burned out, that is a tough job. However, we were a busy shop and I had 2 techs make well over 100k a year and 3 others in the 70-80 range. It can be done, but these guys worked there absolute butts off.

But then I got out and started using my degree and work 8-5pm with nice benefits and all weekends off, so after all that. Run like Hell!!! Do something else. Haha. If you are technical, like someone mentioned working for the phone company or power company. With millitary experience, take a shot at aircraft or heavy equipment service. Keep working on cars as a fun hobby.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

Like mentioned, find something else to do and make working on a cars a hobby. During highschool we were allowed to go to a 2 year tech school for half a day our junior and senior years. Out of school I was looking at jobs in the automotive industry while my other friends were looking at jobs else where. I had a friend who started doing plumbing for a major local contractor and started out making more than I was going to be making working at any shop around town. Needless to say I started looking else where. Now I work for the biggest bottle company in the US making more than my plumbing buddy does lol. It's not what I want to do but It pays damn good.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on your MOS you may be able to get into a contracting position, I worked for BMW for years then a few independent shops before falling into the world of USG contracting needless to say the pay is very good especially if you have a security clearance. Also if you don't have anything tying you down you can work all over the world, I spent 7 years in the middle east living for free and getting paid very well.

Quick Reply: Would you guys hire someone who trained at UTI?