Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Automotive Careers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UTI
Old 11-24-2011, 04:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im 22 and a jet engine tech in the air force, i just recently got my a&p license for use after i get out, anyways i love working on cars and jets are a whole different ballgame but i get the best of both worlds, work on jets during the day and my ss at night. its decent money although ive only been in a little over 2 years and was previously a tech at toyota. plus the idea of retiring at 40 rather than having odd jobs for as long as i live lets me have alot more time doing what i love, building projects
Old 11-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RENRUT01SS
im 22 and a jet engine tech in the air force, i just recently got my a&p license for use after i get out, anyways i love working on cars and jets are a whole different ballgame but i get the best of both worlds, work on jets during the day and my ss at night. its decent money although ive only been in a little over 2 years and was previously a tech at toyota. plus the idea of retiring at 40 rather than having odd jobs for as long as i live lets me have alot more time doing what i love, building projects
Good post. It is indeed the best of both worlds, this is the way I should have done it. 20 years all went by way to quickly and I would be almost retired by now. Good luck in and thank you for your service!
Old 11-25-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RENRUT01SS
I've always felt aviation would be the field to go into if looking to be a technician full-time, that or repairing machines.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Yea its a good career, ive definately learned alot and working on the C130 hercules is definately some work. Its the only plane still in use besides the p-3 that is all mechanical(engine wise). its almost like working on a good ol carbuerated 350 compared to the new ****. And the fact that im certified to work on any jet engine leaves alot of oppurtunity if i wanna get out and have fun again at home.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

How is the pay for something like that? I've been seriously thinking about enlisting for exactly what you are doing and any feedback for that whole area would be awesome. I realize that you are still enlisted, but what kind of realistic prospects when you get to the civilian side are there, and how crowded is the job market?

Between enlisting, School of Auto Machinists, and a 4 year degree, I'm really torn lol, didn't do all so hot in college the first go around and I know trying to go back would be expensive, but I really am not sure what to expect, especially being 22.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Talking

Originally Posted by Tall Guy
gofasterdammit and vonskee good luck on your future careers as techs, I hope you guys do much better than I did. I was a GM master cert. tech in electronics for many years an I stand by what I said earlier. One good piece of advice is getting into a high end shop or a performance shop.
Otherwise I will ask you guys the same question after 15-20 years on flatrate and see if the answers change.
you are right about one thing and that is flatrate sucks! BUT thats why im on a salary. I do know alot of techs that have lost alot of money over the last few years but I tell people who are looking to work on cars that in the right place with good skills and attitude they will go places. Im sorry but it sounds like you may have stayed in the wrong place for too long and could use a change of atmosphere.
There will always be cars and therefore the need for people to fix them. We are in a highly skilled profession and should be compensated for it. Thats why if your not happy with what your doing dont blame what you do especially if your good at it. Find somewhere else to do it where you will be better appreciated. Dont mean to sound negative its just my opinion. good luck
Old 12-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Smile

Oh yeah, you are right I stayed on waaaay to long at my last place that sucked, I was glad when I finally left turning wrenches for a living a few years ago. Its also true that we are highly trained and should be compensated for it, that's the trick though. IF you can find a place that pays well, then its all good. If I could have made $50k per year, I would still be be doing it. Sadly my best year was $31k and my worst was $15k. I was in it for almost 20 years an seen many changes, most not for the better and the tech is usually then loser when prices are 'adjusted' to make a customer happy.
I'm not arguing with you bud just offering an opinion and insight from someone that went through it all. BTW GM doesn't hand out master certifications to crappy tech and hacks, I payed my dues many times over. Like I said, I sincerly hope you will do better than I did, it sounds like you have the needed drive to do well.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tall Guy
Oh yeah, you are right I stayed on waaaay to long at my last place that sucked, I was glad when I finally left turning wrenches for a living a few years ago. Its also true that we are highly trained and should be compensated for it, that's the trick though. IF you can find a place that pays well, then its all good. If I could have made $50k per year, I would still be be doing it. Sadly my best year was $31k and my worst was $15k. I was in it for almost 20 years an seen many changes, most not for the better and the tech is usually then loser when prices are 'adjusted' to make a customer happy.
I'm not arguing with you bud just offering an opinion and insight from someone that went through it all. BTW GM doesn't hand out master certifications to crappy tech and hacks, I payed my dues many times over. Like I said, I sincerly hope you will do better than I did, it sounds like you have the needed drive to do well.
Its sad your no longer in the biz. We need good techs like you. Experience is key. And you right certs dont come easy!! I struggled for a long time and have just started doing well. Times are tough for us all and factory techs are getting the worst of it. I hope things workout for you. who knows maybe the right oppurtunity will arise and you will get back into a good shop.
good luck!!!:
Old 12-10-2011, 03:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by McNasty
How is the pay for something like that? I've been seriously thinking about enlisting for exactly what you are doing and any feedback for that whole area would be awesome. I realize that you are still enlisted, but what kind of realistic prospects when you get to the civilian side are there, and how crowded is the job market?

Between enlisting, School of Auto Machinists, and a 4 year degree, I'm really torn lol, didn't do all so hot in college the first go around and I know trying to go back would be expensive, but I really am not sure what to expect, especially being 22.
well the college part would be nice for you considering the military pays for everything and you can also take a good bit of classes even with working full time. I love it and the job oppurtunites are basically endless, i mean i dont see aviation going away any time soon. Active duty is definately the place to be although the new retirement plan is not as good but i got grandfathered into the old awesome one. Any more questions just shoot me an email renrut450r@gmail.com

Quick Reply: Automotive Careers?