Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

How to become a Mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i was a panel beater my wife was a manager at wendys... She made as much as I did. We both quit our jobs and make more money but she drives 60 miles to work now.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I guess I'm the first guy to tell you I love my job! I love what I do just not where I work is the best way to put it. I am not a dealer tech though I do fleet maintenance for a delivery company. I have been a mechanic for over 6 years. I love diagnostic and power train work. I know fleet mechanics are looked at as the "trashy grease monkeys" in the industry but its is a great way to get plenty of experience. It is a bit more laid back than dealers and you don't have to fight for hours.
I personally would like to get into more engine building and machine work but I am a little stuck right now because my gf and I want to get a house and get married and start a family...... What I am trying to say is it isn't as bad as some make it to be. There are lots of better paying jobs and a lot less paying jobs out there and you will have good days and bad. hope this helps.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Go to school to become an Aviation Mechanic. You won't want to be a bitch in an oil shop making minimum wage.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's confuse this with some facts:

http://www.simplyhired.com/a/salary/...-Auto+Mechanic

Al 95 Z28
Old 02-07-2012, 10:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al
Let's confuse this with some facts:

http://www.simplyhired.com/a/salary/...-Auto+Mechanic

Al 95 Z28
I wouldn't say that $36,000 is all that impressive for a career. 18 year old kids can make that their first year welding/doing factory work around here.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Tall Guy
I did 20 years (16 years with a GM dealer) as a tech and I suffered thru the last 8 of them. Most of the general public have no respect for you and will treat you like crap, and the management will treat you even worse as most think you are expendible.
I know that part of the reason why techs are treated like crap is because of service managers who attempt to try and take everyone for a fool and justify their bullshit reasoning. I've dealt with enough of them that this holds true more so than not. They are out to make money and sometimes techs are collateral damage, however there are some techs who just don't give a ****. Two of the biggest instances I have been in was suing Frank Parra Chevrolet in Irving, TX for not honoring a warranty claim, which was settled out of court because they knew they'd loose. The other was when a "tech" stole the Hurst shifter from my car and replaced it with the stock pile of trash, like I wouldn't notice.
The following listed instances as well as many other small experienciences with GM is pretty much they can go **** the couches they sit on.

On a side note, can't believe Lingenfelter has been gone for that long...
Old 02-07-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I worked 3 years in a shop during school before getting an internship. I did everything from changing oil, to state inspections, to routine maintenance. The pay sucked. I make $5 more an hour at my internship than I did at a shop, and will make twice as much after graduating college in May. It was fun I guess, made me HATE having to work on my own car. I almost went to UTI coming out of high school, but am very glad I didn't.

My advice, look into a different career field. You will be better of going to a tech school for an associates in IT or engineering than you will getting ASE certified. And there is more potential to move up, as much as it sucks, education is key.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

If you do what you love you won't work a day in your life. Become a **** star and **** bitches for monies.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here is my story. I am 33 years old. I have been a paramedic for 9 years. I am burnt out. The average shelf life for a medic is about 5 years. I am well past that. Im weighing options on pretty much starting over at 33 years old. I am not going into the military. I have a young child, so travel is out. I make in the neighborhood of 48k a year. My wife makes more than I do, so I dont need a 50k+ a year job. But I do need to make at least 38k a year. Sitting at a desk 8 hrs a day and being a pencil pusher is not an option. I would get bored and walk away.

I need something that changes frequently. A new challenge each day, if you will.

In looking at job postings for mechanics or helpers, they ALL require experience. No experience, no chance.

How are you suppose to get the experience, if no one is willing to hire someone without it?!?!

I have always done my best to work on my own car/family cars and if I have the tools to do the job, i am very capable of fixing things.

Working as a mechanic I think will give me the daily change I need, and keep my attention.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Teching In

I put in 10 for Chevrolet. I'd have to agree that it's a thankless job. I went through the GM ASEP which is basically a auto tech program sponsored by GM.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GreenBlood55
I was considering a career change and the auto repair industry was an idea. From research I have done, im a little confused on something.

Most shops require ASE certification to be hired.

ASE cert. requires 2 years experience.

How exactly does a person manage that? Cant do either one without the other?!?
you need to start off at the bottom. oil changer, tire changer, or general parts hanger.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I know that part of the reason why techs are treated like crap is because of service managers who attempt to try and take everyone for a fool and justify their bullshit reasoning. I've dealt with enough of them that this holds true more so than not. They are out to make money and sometimes techs are collateral damage, however there are some techs who just don't give a ****. Two of the biggest instances I have been in was suing Frank Parra Chevrolet in Irving, TX for not honoring a warranty claim, which was settled out of court because they knew they'd loose. The other was when a "tech" stole the Hurst shifter from my car and replaced it with the stock pile of trash, like I wouldn't notice.
The following listed instances as well as many other small experienciences with GM is pretty much they can go **** the couches they sit on.

On a side note, can't believe Lingenfelter has been gone for that long...
That said, service managers make a lot more money and don't have to get their hands dirty....I have a buddy who is a service manager at a local GM dealership and he makes over $70K with sales bonuses. That job is more about sales and customer service though rather than fixing cars....and dealing with idiots that know nothing about cars. You also get to be the middle man/punching bag between clients/management/techs. It might be worth considering if you really love cars and it has a better salary range.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SexyTransAm
oh yea BTW ASE is a joke!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

what he said.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Here is my story. I am 33 years old. I have been a paramedic for 9 years. I am burnt out. The average shelf life for a medic is about 5 years. I am well past that. Im weighing options on pretty much starting over at 33 years old. I am not going into the military. I have a young child, so travel is out. I make in the neighborhood of 48k a year. My wife makes more than I do, so I dont need a 50k+ a year job. But I do need to make at least 38k a year. Sitting at a desk 8 hrs a day and being a pencil pusher is not an option. I would get bored and walk away.

I need something that changes frequently. A new challenge each day, if you will.

In looking at job postings for mechanics or helpers, they ALL require experience. No experience, no chance.

How are you suppose to get the experience, if no one is willing to hire someone without it?!?!

I have always done my best to work on my own car/family cars and if I have the tools to do the job, i am very capable of fixing things.

Working as a mechanic I think will give me the daily change I need, and keep my attention.
put yourself out there. walk into shops, and ask. don't be afraid to start off at the bottom. that can and will lead to higher positions, and learning.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:44 AM
12 Second Club

Greenblood, Do you work for a independent ambulance service? In my town the fire department has paramedics also. If you work for your village can you transfer to the fire department side?
As far as becoming a auto mechanic, you're probably going to have to go to school and then find a entry level job from there. If you don't want to go to school I would apply to jobs in person and bring your car with you. If you run into the right person they may give you a chance and you can learn on the job.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I work out of a fire house now. I have no interest in becoming a firefighter. I am a county employee.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think the problem with trying to get started as a mechanic today is there are so many unemployed experienced mechanics right now from the restructuring of GM and Chrysler. Why would anyone hire fresh meat they need to train when there are 15 highly experienced A, B and C guys all lined up for that lube tech job.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

I work out of a fire house now. I have no interest in becoming a firefighter. I am a county employee.
if turning wrenches is what you want to do, then go for it. there will never be a shortage of demand for good technicians.

like i said.....go out and walk into different places of business, and ask if they're hiring. if they are, it may be a pretty shitty position to start, but that's ok.

if they want to hire you to simply sweep the floors, and clean up after the mechanics, then do it. when you've been there for long enough to get to know the mechanics, offer to assist if they need it. even if they just need you to hold a hose out of the way. you'll be surprised how far that gets you.
you'll learn a lot on the job. don't harp on ase certs. while a lot of shops want ase guys, the fact is that ase means nothing more than you're a good test taker. good shops will be more interested in what's in your head, not what patches you've got sewn on your sleeve. ase is a marketing tool. there was a day when it meant somethig to be ase certified, but those days are gone.

another option to try, is driving tow trucks for a repair shop. same thing. you can get your foot in the door to wrenching pretty easily from that.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:05 PM
12 Second Club

I am a county employee.
You've probably thought of this but since you already work for the county, could you transfer to the county garage. Maint is simplified in a fleet environment.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
If you do what you love you won't work a day in your life.
I agree with this to an extent. Sometimes when people combine work and passions, they just get burnt out on their passions, which really sucks.

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
Become a **** star and **** bitches for monies.

Quick Reply: How to become a Mechanic