Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Formula 1 Engineer

Old 08-27-2012, 06:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formula 1 Engineer

Hey guys,
I'm currently going to school for Mechanical Engineering and recently I've become very interested in looking into eventually working on an F1 team. I was going to see if anyone has looked Into it or if anyone had any idea how difficult it would be to achieve. I'm going to join Formula SAE at my school this semester and plan to do it for my last 2 years. I live in Wichita KS so there isn't much available as far as internships in that field but I wanted to ask your guys opinion on this idea. I was looking at F1jobs.com and it didn't seem as far fetched as I originally thought but I'm not sure. Thanks, any feedback is appreciated.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Ive seen F1 jobs pop up from time to time... be prepared to move and travel all over the world
Old 08-27-2012, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

That's even more appealing to me at this point. Eventually I may want to settle down in one place but I'd love to move around the world for a while.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

I'm interested in the same thing. Seems like a hell of an awesome job.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:38 PM
10 Second Club

For sure. I never really watched it before, but I've been watching this season and I love it. Can't wait to join the FSAE team at my school
Old 08-27-2012, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SAE is awesome. You will really enjoy it. My school competed for the first time ever a few months ago. the tune wasnt that great but everyone remembered us from our cars design.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Formula SAE is the way to start, I did it 23 years ago and our team won the whole event, Virginia Tech 1991 was the car I built. from there it's not to hard to move into IRL or even some lower series such as Formula Mazda or other open wheel classes as a starting point. Working on a team is not as glamorous as you may look from the outside. The pressure is huge, the travel is tough and the level of competition is high. If you still in school, look for some local grassroots SCCA or NASA events to participate in so you can get the feel of being at the track, meet some people and offer to volunteer to help out when you can. That's how It started for me. I worked on a Winston Cup team for 5 years after college.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive had a few friends make the jump, one is at renault, one at williams, and the other went to red bull but didnt last to long. They all had a lot of experience designing race cars and parts for them, and all were cfd as well as mechanical.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by beach cruiser
Formula SAE is the way to start, I did it 23 years ago and our team won the whole event, Virginia Tech 1991 was the car I built. from there it's not to hard to move into IRL or even some lower series such as Formula Mazda or other open wheel classes as a starting point. Working on a team is not as glamorous as you may look from the outside. The pressure is huge, the travel is tough and the level of competition is high. If you still in school, look for some local grassroots SCCA or NASA events to participate in so you can get the feel of being at the track, meet some people and offer to volunteer to help out when you can. That's how It started for me. I worked on a Winston Cup team for 5 years after college.
Thinking of the pressure the crews go through just in NASCAR i can only imagine what F1 would be like. Is it true they have 150 man crews for one car?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

Im the same excact way my man. Goodluck.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

If i were you I would race as a hobby...It is the only job I have ever had and it gets worse every year... when November rolls around you have to worry if you are going to have a job come january.. team/employee loyalty is at an all time low for most people..they will cut you loose for a wide variety of reasons... Engineers are like mechanics used to be.. a dime a dozen.. When I worked for Red Bulls cup team I spent some time talking with some of the design guys that came over from the F1 side..You can times the politics and bullshit by 10... which would make it a hundred times higher than a normal 9-5 job
Old 09-02-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hit up Steve Matchett on the speed forums. He has covered this before. I forgot what he said though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Formula 1 Engineer