Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

16 years old

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, i'm new to this forum. I'm only 15 but i know about cars. i joined this forum because i just bought a 1970 firebird formula 400, thats right, an original formula 400 firebird. i need a 4 speed trans for it(was an original MT car but someone converted it to an AT) it has to be a muntzie. i'll take it with or without a bellhousing (which i'm also looking for). I only paid 4700 for the car and the only rust on the whole thing is passengar door(about 4 inches by 4 inches) and the deck lid, but all it is is surface rust so i'm not worried. It was an original 4 speed car with air conditioning. i also could use some interior parts. im going to try to get pics up ny next week. please tell me what you think, or if you have any parts
Old 08-22-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well if you are interested in actually building high performance motors and working for a race team. I would highly advise you to check out www.SAMracing.com

It is a tough line of work but if you are a SERIOUS gear head, then this might be the place for you. No school has more students in Pro Racing sanction bodies then our school. From NHRA to Nextel Cup. Just take a look at the website.

Regards,

Gray
Old 08-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Banned

im 16 and i work on drag cars for a guy i know just helping him out. i learn alot. so just drive to the local strip and talk to some of the guys and say your lookin to help around with someone at there shop or house
Old 08-27-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at that age not more then 2 years ago. But ive been working on my 69' then so i knew quite abit from that. Just get a project car and start going at it. No classes helped me. What ever i took apart i put back together the same way but with better parts.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 70firebirdformula400
Hi, i'm new to this forum. I'm only 15 but i know about cars. i joined this forum because i just bought a 1970 firebird formula 400, thats right, an original formula 400 firebird. i need a 4 speed trans for it(was an original MT car but someone converted it to an AT) it has to be a muntzie. i'll take it with or without a bellhousing (which i'm also looking for). I only paid 4700 for the car and the only rust on the whole thing is passengar door(about 4 inches by 4 inches) and the deck lid, but all it is is surface rust so i'm not worried. It was an original 4 speed car with air conditioning. i also could use some interior parts. im going to try to get pics up ny next week. please tell me what you think, or if you have any parts

lol your in the wrong forum then.

Pro-touring dot com is where you want to be. Alot more help on older classics like mine and yours.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Hey you should check out Universal Technical Institute. Its an automotive tech school. Im currently going there myself and they have tought me things ive never known about cars and im not even half way through it.
It is kinda pricey around $35K for a year, but they can get you a job as a technician making the bigger bucks!!! I work for a Cheverolet dealership and a few of our Techs went there and none of them make below $100K a year. Just something to think about. If you get a chance watch the speed channel at night for their info-mertial. That should help you out they also have a web site.
In the mean time finish Highschool and go eat some rice with that Z28.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Regular

My 02. I graduated UTI about 2 years ago and am now a Porsche Tech. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't. That includes UTI. Even though I did very well there, I still don't think it was worth it. Way to much money for what you get, and I only paid 23k. Your better off making squat at a shop for a year or 2 learning hands on rather than at school. Of the 10 or so guys from UTI in my class that I've talked to, only 1 of them is over 50k a year. Most techs I know that have been doing it for a long time will tell you to get out now while you still can. I wish I would have listened to them. The business has taken a **** in general for techs. There's always the exceptions, but they're just that. If this is a hobby for you, keep it that way, you'll enjoy it much more.
Just wanted to share my thoughts.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigBronco
Well if you are interested in actually building high performance motors and working for a race team. I would highly advise you to check out www.SAMracing.com

It is a tough line of work but if you are a SERIOUS gear head, then this might be the place for you. No school has more students in Pro Racing sanction bodies then our school. From NHRA to Nextel Cup. Just take a look at the website.

Regards,

Gray
I plan on going to SAM after i get my degree in mechanical engineering up at UNT!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

First, $30,000 in some markets like STL, is okay money not great. In other markets like ny city $30000 isn't going to cover rent. I currently attend Wyotech in PA. If I could start over I would probably go to UTI in Chi-town. Where theres something to do. Blairsville is a joke of a town. The local police prey on the Techers. Sometimes they are doing something stupid other times they are behaving. The younger guys have it harder than others. I'm 27.

Second, you can learn bad habits at a place like Sears or Jiffylube. Learning the correct way is better than learing the quick way.

Third, schools can be expensive. Wyotech is $25000-$27000 depending on what you take. Some students say for 2years or so. I'm only here for 9 months.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Banging some gears

Originally Posted by BOOSTAT4500
My 02. I graduated UTI about 2 years ago and am now a Porsche Tech. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't. That includes UTI. Even though I did very well there, I still don't think it was worth it. Way to much money for what you get, and I only paid 23k. Your better off making squat at a shop for a year or 2 learning hands on rather than at school. Of the 10 or so guys from UTI in my class that I've talked to, only 1 of them is over 50k a year. Most techs I know that have been doing it for a long time will tell you to get out now while you still can. I wish I would have listened to them. The business has taken a **** in general for techs. There's always the exceptions, but they're just that. If this is a hobby for you, keep it that way, you'll enjoy it much more.
Just wanted to share my thoughts.
my thoughts exactly! it's all fun until it turns into work.. keeps your hobbies seperate from your career no doubt.. cause if you work on other peoples cars all day and then come home and wanna mod... it seems more like work then and not fun!

my advice to the kid is to read up on anything you dont know about... thats how i learned what i know now

daniel
Old 09-05-2007, 04:29 PM

Reading and learning on your own is a great thing and that is how a lot of the older generation got where they are now, but most places want you to get an education first. That shows that you have dedication and willingness to learn and that is something that a lot of employers are looking for. My advice is to check the schools out and talk to employers in whatever industry your looking into and then make your decision. I chose to come to SAM and I think it is the best decision I ever made. If you are interested in SAM check out the website or give them a call.

www.samracing.com

713-683-3817
Old 09-06-2007, 12:46 AM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the SAM racing link!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:00 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Since your going into ME try and get on the schools Formula SAE team.

Lots of hands on experience with CAM/CAD CNC machining, prototyping/design, trouble shooting and racing. It can be alot of fun specially if the school has a successful team with a good budget.

Building a one-of car from scratch is alot of fun.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah im 17 and want a career in the auto industry. If i were you, for now i would just read everything i can on this site and the internet and do everything to your car yourself. Then just call car dealerships and see if you can get a job as a parts boy, or washing cars.

Some colleges have really good auto programs, i want to go to university of north carolina at charlotte cause they have a motorsports egineering program where you get to work on nascars, and the track is a few miles away. you could also major in mechanical egineering and get some good jobs in the auto industry.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:50 AM
11 Second Club

WOW, you remind me of myself when I was 16. I wanted to go to a technical school after H.S since I did not know what I wanted to do and I loved cars. So, I worked at a medical transportation place as a parts driver/oil changer for 2 years. There were 3 ASE techs there and 2 Master techs all over 40. All of them told me constantly to go to college. If they could do it over they would have never made this their career. You’re almost always dirty and this line of work takes a wear on your body.

The best advice I ever got was "You can keep cars as a hobby but don't make it your career, you will regret it."

I just graduated with a B.S in Computer Science 3 months ago (If someone would have told me this when I was 16, I would laughed and said never in this lifetime.). I love the career I choose. I get to work hands on with servers, desktops and admin networks. 40 hours a week and I can come in anytime from 6AM-10AM as long as I am there for 8 hours, never have to punch a clock. Plus, I am making more money starting off as most people I know from H.S who have been ASE techs for over 2 years. Just throwing in my 2cents.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Default Time to re-think auto career...

Wow, I'm 41 and was an auto tech for about 15 years. I went to trade school and then straight to a Honda dealer then various Ford dealers then to a Lincoln/Mercury dealer for 12 years. There is no money in auto mechanics anymore. The Big Three are all cutting or have cut their labor rates and/or times they pay and it's only going to get worse. Cars are requiring less and less maintenance, (tune-ups, etc.), and that hits a technicain right in the wallet. The Big Three/dealer's answer is to sell more maintenance but honestly with most people leasing now WHO CARES about maintaining a lease car??? I'd say 5-10 years ago you could make a decent living at it but now it's just rediculous. I tell anyone and everyone that will listen to stay the hell out of auto repair. I made good money up until 5 years ago and most of my buddies have gotten out of it too. It's a shame, it's like dealers, repair shops, etc. all got together and decided that techs didn't need to make a decent living anymore. The labor rates continue to shoot up through the roof yet the amount the techs get is the same or less than it was 5 years ago around here in the Detroit area. They charge $90 flate rate at a dealer and I'm supposed to be happy getiing $15 of that or a top tech getting $20?? Get real. I remember when we got 40% of the labor rate and some independent shops got 50%. No more. I hate to be doom and gloom but I'm just telling it like it is..
Old 09-07-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by I8RICE
WOW, you remind me of myself when I was 16. I wanted to go to a technical school after H.S since I did not know what I wanted to do and I loved cars. So, I worked at a medical transportation place as a parts driver/oil changer for 2 years. There were 3 ASE techs there and 2 Master techs all over 40. All of them told me constantly to go to college. If they could do it over they would have never made this their career. You’re almost always dirty and this line of work takes a wear on your body.

The best advice I ever got was "You can keep cars as a hobby but don't make it your career, you will regret it."

I just graduated with a B.S in Computer Science 3 months ago (If someone would have told me this when I was 16, I would laughed and said never in this lifetime.). I love the career I choose. I get to work hands on with servers, desktops and admin networks. 40 hours a week and I can come in anytime from 6AM-10AM as long as I am there for 8 hours, never have to punch a clock. Plus, I am making more money starting off as most people I know from H.S who have been ASE techs for over 2 years. Just throwing in my 2cents.
Same here, I'm graduating with a CS degree in a few months, and just keeping cars as a hobby.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

I've considered going to school to study Automotive Engineering and maybe get a job at somewhere like GM, but I don't know. I don't know I could ever do cars as my life and career...it's just a hobby for me. I'd rather have that Engineering degree and go to GM and work there for a business point like financing or something, etc.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

I'm 16, I tune with HP tuners for cash as a side job. I'm also about to be tuning a 7-second car full-time, so that'll be fun. That I've found however, there really isn't much at this age you can do concerning cars as a job. If you want to get hired as a mechanic of any sort, minimum age seems to be 17. Only a few more months, I guess.

Quick Reply: 16 years old