Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Question about car sales

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 06:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hill23
I worked 60+ hours a week at monday-saturday
Did you not sell even one car? How much was training to the point that you didn't even break even? And what does that mean anyway? You had to pay for your training at your dealership? If so, that sucks.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I sold about 10 cars while I was there. They brought in a 3rd party to do the training and we paid 300 dollars for that and the dealership paid the other 300 dollars. After 90 days the company would pay us the 300 dollars back. I made good money but my problem is I lived 45 minutes away from the dealership and I was driving my Camaro every day. The other reason I left is I found a more stable job where I know I will have money each month for my family. If you find the right dealership it’s a great job but the one I was at was not!
Old 08-26-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have been selling in a Pontiac/Buick/GMC store for about 2 and half years, and I love it. I work about 42 hours a week, maybe a few extra here or there if I'm having a great month. Every other salesman with us has been there 14+ years and I am kickin their asses. You have to want it, and you reap what you sow. Treat people well, LISTEN to what they want, and don't bullshit them...you'll come out miles ahead and money in the bank.

I sell roughly 10-15 cars a month, and make about $4-7K a month, along with insurance, a company car, and 401K contributions...not bad for being 24 years old. We are salaried $500 a week, plus 24% of whatever the gross profit is on the car we sell...not the total selling price of the car, obviously.

Every store is different....most of the salesmen I work with are older and lazy...just expecting their previous customers to come in and buy something every 2 years like they always do. I bust my ***, get my name out there, and I have friends "working" for me, who I pay referral fees to if they send me someone who buys a car.

Everyone thinks this job is easy, it isn't. Semi-long hours, frustrating when you aren't selling stuff, hectic when you are, and you have to take everything with a grain of salt. People will either like you or hate you, and managers will ride you if you aren't playing their games. But it rocks if you can cut it!!!!
Old 08-27-2007, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to know the mentality of a car salesman.. you must watch a movie called "suckers" I have been in the business now for about 3 months and let me tell you even after a breif time in the business.. this movie rings so close to home in terms of the business that its almost a little scary.. I am almost exactly the main charachter... I was laughing the entire time watching it. Most likely in todays world you will be introduced to the concepts, ideas, and strategies that this movie brings up but in a much more humane, civil way.. but the end result is still supposed to be the same.

Get the "suckers" to pay as much as possible.

Its pretty brutal, just watch the movie and remember that they add some crudeness in the speach ect for dramatic effect.. where as your GSM or desk manager isnt going to be as charasmatic as the main charachter in this movie but the message is the same.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Teching In

I used to work for a POS Chevy dealership which will remain unnamed. To be quite honest, it's really tough sometimes, especially as a new guy. We were a 5 person team and us 2 new guys never got a chance to really sell. The stealership had a rule on not being able to sell to previous customers of other salesman. Hell every person I talked to bought from 1 of the 3 "veterans." My sales manager was a hell of a guy and even on a shitty day he could say the shittiest thing but it would still make you laugh. He knew how to attract customers. I gave up car sales for school. I dont regret it because I know when I finish school I'll have a steady income from somewhere. It was fun though, we never had many rules, just talk to at least 10 people a day, phone/walk-in/something, and just remember what we had been taught. Days are long, pay is short sometimes, but just stick with it and you can make somethin of yourself if you give it your all.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

Anyone making any money any more??

I'm sure not. Just wanted to see how the market was treating others
Old 06-13-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

nope...our traffic is probably 70% of what it used to be. GM doesn't seem too concerned about getting the new cars to the dealerships either. The only cars we are selling right now, we can't get the inventory. Used Grand Prix's are where the $$$ is right now, but that will dry up eventually. Most customers beat you to death on price, only to sell you out for $100 to the next guy down the road. Credit scores are worse everyday and people have no money to put down. Everyone wants something unrealistic...a 50 mpg car that seats 8 and is $199 a month, not to mention they want $2K more than their trade is worth.

I'm getting out of this business...quick....I've watched the Titanic take on enough water, my *** is getting to a life boat and fast!
Old 06-13-2008, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by turbowhistle86
nope...our traffic is probably 70% of what it used to be. GM doesn't seem too concerned about getting the new cars to the dealerships either. The only cars we are selling right now, we can't get the inventory. Used Grand Prix's are where the $$$ is right now, but that will dry up eventually. Most customers beat you to death on price, only to sell you out for $100 to the next guy down the road. Credit scores are worse everyday and people have no money to put down. Everyone wants something unrealistic...a 50 mpg car that seats 8 and is $199 a month, not to mention they want $2K more than their trade is worth.

I'm getting out of this business...quick....I've watched the Titanic take on enough water, my *** is getting to a life boat and fast!
yeah I hear that. I have a college degree. I dont need to be in car sales. I just went into it because I genuinly wanted to start my own dealership. Now that I've been in this business I can see it will be 10+ years at least untill I get into a position that I would enjoy working. And even then the managers say selling cars was fun in comparison to what they do now, if thats so, then I want out all together.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sciff5
Anyone making any money any more??

I'm sure not. Just wanted to see how the market was treating others
I've been in the business twice. Once in the 60's. Returning again in 2000.

Both times I felt there were lazy people in the industry. There was a time almost every customer was capable of buying, not today. The business had thousands of ORDER TAKERS. Unable to overcome any objective. Unable to close many deals themselves. Yes, the auto industry is down. Gosh, I've posted that in the past. Read the paper. Few managers today have any original ideas. The old way of selling cars isn't working. Without the help of Dealer 20 meetings they have no new ideas.

It's hard work. No, it's very hard work. It's mentally stressful. It's commission sales. You won't close everyone who walks on the lot. 85% of the folks that leave your lot won't come back. It's the sales associates job to put the customer in your vehicle. Dealers have found ways to lower income and take away perks. Yes, folks will shop you for less than 100.00. Learn how to take a dealership walk, a walk around, sell the damn car, don't look for excuses. Yes, customers are smarter than ever before. Read the comments for the average LS1 Tech member. Those attitudes don't differ much from the general publics. The question with this job as well as many other commission base jobs. How bad do YOU WANT IT?

Jakes Dad
Old 06-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
As a 'customer' I can't even imagine how you sell any cars.

These days anyone can search 100 auto websites and get a list of 50 of the same cars where the price range is a 10K spread on the same model. From this statement you're talking used, right?

You make eye contact with the customer. How about you make yourself different than anyone the customer has contacted. You build value in your car, your dealership, what you can do for them, and go from there. LISTEN FOR A REAQCTION.

I can't imagine how you justify your price when the customer says well see here I can buy the same car for less right down the road. GOSH, MR. OR MRS CUSTOMER. GAS IS OVER 4.00 PER GAL. WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE? It says so right here online.
The customer isn't concerned about you
Saturday i wanted to sell three cars, I delivered one. Customer wanted to be no more than 300.00. My commission sheet says they are paying 392. something. You sell the vehicle as a used snowflake...................

Jakes Dad
Old 06-23-2008, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
Saturday i wanted to sell three cars, I delivered one. Customer wanted to be no more than 300.00. My commission sheet says they are paying 392. something. You sell the vehicle as a used snowflake...................

Jakes Dad
Man.. have fun. I've decided I'm jumping ship. Like I said before I have a college degree. My major was computer science so I'll prob end up selling computer hardware/software/support to huge companies.. working normal hours and making better money. I was only doing the car sales thing because I like cars.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sciff5
Man.. have fun. I've decided I'm jumping ship. Like I said before I have a college degree. My major was computer science so I'll prob end up selling computer hardware/software/support to huge companies.. working normal hours and making better money. I was only doing the car sales thing because I like cars.

Reynolds and Reynolds and others sell programs, forms, and stuff back to the automobile dealerships. You might look into that with your degree - Good Luck!

I am here until my wife retires. Managers can make life tough at any dealership. They have seen my crazy side, weapons, my dogs, and I sell every month. So I am left alone.

Jakes Dad
Old 06-24-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing that sucks about being in this business.... (i'm an F&I manager now), is if I decided to get out of the business, i'd have to take a $40,000/year paycut for a simple "loan officer" at a local bank and probably about a 25k/year paycut to get into being a credit analyst for the indirect lending side of the banks the dealerships use.

If you can deal with the BS of the sales, you can work your way up and enjoy yourself doing it. I love seeing previous customers coming in and having to pass them to the new guys. You pretty much just say, is this what you want, ok this is the price, ok sign here.

But that only comes with what some of the other posters have said. You need to LISTEN to the customer. Snowflake or not, the minor variances between the used '07's coming out of the rental agencies won't overcome the $100 difference. Because it's still THEIR $100.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

I'll be the first to say I'll go somewhere else to save the $100. Why would I pay a penny more than I have to?! Honestly that would be stupid on my part.
Plus like it was said customers are more educated now days. I know what a car is worth before I look at it and I'll make my offer and if the dealership can't match it I'll go somewhere where they will.
Not to mention I hate trying to be sold something, I only look at cars when the dealership is closed so no one is trying to push me into a sale. If I feel pushed my reaction is to turn and walk away.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
I'll be the first to say I'll go somewhere else to save the $100. Why would I pay a penny more than I have to?! Honestly that would be stupid on my part.
Plus like it was said customers are more educated now days. I know what a car is worth before I look at it and I'll make my offer and if the dealership can't match it I'll go somewhere where they will.
Not to mention I hate trying to be sold something, I only look at cars when the dealership is closed so no one is trying to push me into a sale. If I feel pushed my reaction is to turn and walk away.

I've read this everyday for a week. I really wanted to argue with several of your comments. I think the comment I want to address is "I know what a car is worth before I look at it and I make my offer and if the dealership can't match it I'll go somewhere where they will."

The fact is there are several reference books besides several internet sites where you can get an idea what the value of a unit might be. I guess I take offence to the fact that you are smarter than the folks in the business. Since you know the value of the vehicle before you visit the lot. Can you understand my position?

With fuel above 4.00 per gal. the value of SUV's and Trucks have tanked while the value of vehicles with good mpg have gone up. The bottom line is values of vehicles change. Persons working in the business, daily, know this. I always put more money into a car we have serviced. My used car could also have new tires. That car you're looking at for 100.00 less needs tires. Or needs tires in 10K. I might have spent 800.00 to 1600.00 on the car you're looking at, when the dealership is closed. Go ahead and buy the SAME CAR for 100.00 because we wouldn't deal.

NOT THAT I OR WE KNOW EVERYTHING IN THE AUTO BUSINESS. I don't want to come off as knowing everthing about anything including the auto industry. But I would like you to listen.

Everyone has read how auto sales sucked in June. My area lost 6,000 jobs at DHL, my area closed a GM plate with 2,500 employees in June. Our new car sales were up 22% from June of 2007. Our used car sales sold 73 units and made 1465.75 each PLUS F&I. We normally carry around 80 cars. The reasons this is happening, in my eyes, is simple. We've found people, forced those people to do things our way. They better come to work ready to work. Let other dealers cry that sales are down, they are. So, you work with what you get on the lot. So, you still get your head out of your ***, or go work some place else. We also have fun here.

You can post your attitudes. I'll continue to post mine. No one is 100% right or wrong. You posted your side I posted mine. Have a nice day!

Jakes Dad
Old 07-03-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd love to get back into the car buisness. God I made a lot of money.. I had a lot of fun at my dealership. I left for a couple of different reasons, mostly because I couldn't do school and work 60 hours a week and something about no more than 6 points? lol 3 will be off in a year and by then I'll have my AA so we'll see where sales are by then.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

Watch these video's from a Pro and you'll be OK!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGJdNPiWZzQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPigcNxXVog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn0xM6m4STs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9F1z21G2J8
Old 07-07-2008, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

Graduate Course

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4foUAaOrt38
Old 07-08-2008, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mr. B
Suckers is GREAT!
Old 07-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Banned

I don't think watching anything makes you a car sales associate. Naturally there are better jobs than selling cars. It does give you first hand experience how screwed up some folks can get themselves.

Jakes Dad

Quick Reply: Question about car sales