Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Question about car sales

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
No need to photo copy anything, I KNOW WHAT GROSS IS. If I were your manager I would shake your hand, if 20 cars in your dealership is a good month. As I was shaking your hand "I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT I COULD DO TO ASSIST YOU NEXT MONTH IN DOING THE SAME OR BETTER." Jakes Dad Inform the board what your manager does at the end of your month.

Lee IACOCCOA before becoming Chrysler chairman sold Fords. Dave Thomas, before founding Wendys worked in the Chicken business. You might be the next success story in the car business. GOOD LUCK I normally shy away from working for second and third generation car store owners. Successful people are successful people. Shouldn't depend on the direction spirm swim.
For many of you that last statement might be hard for you to understand.

If your deals are all sticker I am happy for you. I posted because I am Jealous of you. I sell Chevrolets. I understand there are other brands out there. I work my *** off for every car deal. I SCREW NO ONE BECAUSE I DON'T SCREW PEOPLE.................................. I didn't learn that from any church or school. I am who I am you are who you are good luck!!

Jakes Dad

and for the record, i said civics are going for msrp, not all of our product line. dont think i was coming in here trying to brag, i was just trying to answer the guys question on what its like in the car business right now.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

hey do you have any more pics of that 55 chevy desk. thats the first car my grandfather bought when he moved here from greece in 59, in that color too. id like to email it to him, so he can get a kick out of it.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1996Formula
hey do you have any more pics of that 55 chevy desk. thats the first car my grandfather bought when he moved here from greece in 59, in that color too. id like to email it to him, so he can get a kick out of it.

Yes - and I remember your grandfather buying that 55 too. Sorry Chevrolets aren't good enough for his grandson to sell.

Good Luck with the Civic sales. Let me know what your manager says to you!

Jakes Dad
Old 08-02-2008, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes - and I remember your grandfather buying that 55 too. Sorry Chevrolets aren't good enough for his grandson to sell.

Good Luck with the Civic sales. Let me know what your manager says to you!

Jakes Dad
you're a dick

all the old guys in car sales are the same. Bustin' the green pee's ***** cause they're young and impressionable. There's atleast one at every dealership too.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pretyflywiteguy
you're a dick

all the old guys in car sales are the same. Bustin' the green pee's ***** cause they're young and impressionable. There's atleast one at every dealership too.
Obviously, you haven't read this thread as it's unfolded? Or you're just an *** clown. I told this, I assume he is young, but I told him if I were his manager I would shake his hand for achieving a 20 car month. If I were his manager I would then ask him what I could do to achieve 20 again or beat it. I said nothing about beating his *** down. I don't like Hondas. Hondas don't sell at sticker in my area.

You can read what you want. You can assume anything you want. From time to time you might learn from us old folks. Us old folks might also learn from those new to the business. Any other questions?

Jakes Dad
Old 08-02-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Obviously, you haven't read this thread as it's unfolded? Or you're just an *** clown. I told this, I assume he is young, but I told him if I were his manager I would shake his hand for achieving a 20 car month. If I were his manager I would then ask him what I could do to achieve 20 again or beat it. I said nothing about beating his *** down. I don't like Hondas. Hondas don't sell at sticker in my area.

You can read what you want. You can assume anything you want. From time to time you might learn from us old folks. Us old folks might also learn from those new to the business. Any other questions?

Jakes Dad

I have read the entire thread. Obviously my statement is true. It only gets worse when other people are beating them in sales
Old 08-03-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Wow.

Let's start acting like adults, babies fight on the playground.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
Wow.

Let's start acting like adults, babies fight on the playground.
ever been in car sales? sales in general? lol this is almost a normal conversation Its not personal.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Banned

ever been in car sales? sales in general? lol this is almost a normal conversation Its not personal.

Yes, I began in car sales in 1968

Ran my own business from 1971 until Sept of 2000.

Received my GM "Chevrolet" ring in 2001 - Then a diamond the next two years.

Moved through Mazda - Nissan - Honda - Kia - Suzuki until coming here over two years ago.

I've never said I know everthing about anything including the automobile business. This business is changing every month. In my opinion it's easy for management to look at their sales staff and blame them for poor performance than address each sales associates positives and negatives and build a staff.

In the old days a sales associate went to a dealership built a customer base and stayed. Today they flip from brand to brand looking for the quick buck. Few dealerships work with their employees. Few customers work with a dealership. Jobs girl friends wives pets are all expendable. Find them - use them - replace them.

Too many managers in this business ask the sales associate what they will do for them this month? In my opinion, management needs to address what we can do as a team together this month. When my department does well it's a team effort When my department does well when the industry fails; who looks good?

Jakes Dad
Old 08-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Banned

David is back. David had never sold cars. Didn't do bad, became upset, we're doing everything wrong. He left went to two different dealers in approximately 14 mths. Didn't burn any bridges. When he left he left on good terms. They moved a guy and made a sport for him.

If you're in this business think hard before you leave a dealership. If you're getting into the busioness confirm the length of time management has been in place before you join.

Jerry Jones ownes a football team in Texas. He says there are:

FIVE PRINCIPLES OF SELLING

It doesn't matter what you're selling. All customers are looking for someone to sell them something.

Principle #1. Ask for the sale or money
#2.
#3.
#4.
#5.

It really doesn't matter what the other four are if you don't ask for the the sale.

Jakes Dad
Old 09-25-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bill Heard Chevrolet closed all 13 dealerships this week.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/s...2/daily36.html

They have had some issues in the past for being the stereotypical car dealership. "throwing keys on the hood" etc.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill Heard Chevrolet closed all 13 dealerships this week.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/s...2/daily36.html

They have had some issues in the past for being the stereotypical car dealership. "throwing keys on the hood" etc.
You meen throw keys on the roof?

I am planning on switching to service until I figure out what I want to do with my life, but I'm deff on my way out of the business. I would quit right now if we werent on the brink of the next great depression
Old 09-25-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah thats what i ment. They shut down mostly due to lawsuits, sales were dwindling but not bad enough to shut down 13 some odd stores across the south east. They're training is a joke also, watch a video for an hour and start selling.

I would go back to the business in a second if my driving record cleared up over night.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

yeah thats what i ment. They shut down mostly due to lawsuits, sales were dwindling but not bad enough to shut down 13 some odd stores across the south east. They're training is a joke also, watch a video for an hour and start selling.

I would go back to the business in a second if my driving record cleared up over night.
Driving record??

The guy sitting next to me has had multiple moving violations and even got his car impounded a couple times. In addition to the fact that hes an ex con.

And this is supposed to be a high class dealership...

Driving record dont meen **** if you sell cars. Just gotta find a sleazy enough dealership

Last edited by sciff5; 09-25-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sciff5
Driving record??

The guy sitting next to me has had multiple moving violations and even got his car impounded a couple times. In addition to the fact that hes an ex con.

And this is supposed to be a high class dealership...

Driving record dont meen **** if you sell cars. Just gotta find a sleazy enough dealership
yeah i'd rather not work for a shitty dealership, but thats just me..

My dealership was great, company took care of its employee's for sure. manager's bought the sales team steaks (ribeye's no sirloins) on friday's if we were at budget for the month, breakfast before saturday meetings, Oh and unlimited access to the detail shed
Old 09-26-2008, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

yeah i'd rather not work for a shitty dealership, but thats just me..

My dealership was great, company took care of its employee's for sure. manager's bought the sales team steaks (ribeye's no sirloins) on friday's if we were at budget for the month, breakfast before saturday meetings, Oh and unlimited access to the detail shed
You know its prob better that I got into a shitty dealership, or else I could see myself staying in this business for a very long time.. and being stuck in it later on. Picking such a bad dealership was probably the best thing for me because after only a year (even considering how excited I was a year ago to get into this business) I am complelty done with it. At this point even in the best car dealership in the world I'de still prob hate every day.

Btw like I said before I am trying to switch over to being a service writer in the mean time until I figure out how to get out of the industry. The service writers here make good money. Base is about 45K, and the guy I talked to has been doing it a while and works his *** off is on target to make about 80K. Better news is that its more steady money, and right now in this unsure time.. I'de rather have a little less money but keep it steady. I've sold 2 cars this month, 10 last month, and 0 the month before.. so sales hasnt been paying either really, and in a luxury dealership we dont have a constant stream of ups coming in the door at all, and I like to stay active.. This sitting around **** drives me up a ****** wall. If you havent noticed I live on this site now, at work.

Quick Reply: Question about car sales