Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

18 years old... and college SUCKS!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not being able to think outside of the box is what is killing this country. Peoples over reliance and pumped up worth of a "college education" is sickening. Don't be a sheeple and put your head down and automatically go to college because you think you have to, you most certainly dont. You can make it and many, many successful people have, doing their own thing. If more emphasis was put on fiscal responsibility, STAYING OUT OF DEBT, learning how to manage the money you make, investing it properly and educating the average consumer not to be a total idiot, we would be a lot better off. Some people amaze me.....I could go on forever...

Last edited by TanRchy; 10-11-2007 at 01:07 PM. Reason: because i felt like it
Old 10-11-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get your degree first, or in conjunction with some type of technical discipline, then you'll be in the vast minority of engineers who can actually not only tell you the theory, but actually make the part and install it and modify it so it actually works
If you're interested in airplane engines (turbines) check out the major manufacturers, they usually have openings for techs/engineers in their product development areas
Old 10-11-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TanRchy
not being able to think outside of the box is what is killing this country. Peoples over reliance and pumped up worth of a "college education" is sickening. Don't be a sheeple and put your head down and automatically go to college because you think you have to, you most certainly dont. You can make it and many, many successful people have, doing their own thing. If more emphasis was put on fiscal responsibility, STAYING OUT OF DEBT, learning how to manage the money you make, investing it properly and educating the average consumer not to be a total idiot, we would be a lot better off. Some people amaze me.....I could go on forever...
Actually I agree, all too often the "engineers" that come out of college thinking they know everything (and it applies to all college degrees), are the reason for screw ups, I'm an A&P mechanic with 20 yrs experience, so some freshly graduated engineer might have a better knowledge of the mathematical theory behind the opereration, but doesn't even come close to having the real world knowledge that 20 yrs in the business teaches, so quit trying to tell me in the land of book work and theory it should work, when it damn well doesn't in the real world (sorry for the small rant)
After the degree, don't assume you know it all, listen to the guy thats been doing it for 20 yrs, you might just learn something
Old 10-11-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some interesting advice in this thread. Are you learning simply to get a job or learning to be a well rounded and better person in general?

Me... I loved school and still love learning new things.

That said... a college diploma is the minimum required these days... it opens the door for you. After that door is opened experience and actions will pull you through.

Sure many have "made it" w/o a degree, but it's rare and the road is harder. A company or employer will always choose the person w/ the degree all esle being equal.

If you want to turn wrenches... then get out of a "normal" school and go to a technical school... however, if you want to design parts and vehicles then you must study mechanical engineering which is incredible amounts of work.

I have a BBA from William & Mary... it's opened many doors. However, If I had to do it all over again I'd got somewhere and get my Mech Eng degree and then my MBA.

Another thing... around my area so many younger guys w/ wrench experience open up speed/tuning shops... most all fold after a few months to a year because the people running them have no business sense or business education. They have no clue how to manage finances, treat customers, deal with people.

Good luck! Get a degree.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its amazing how many people have been brainwashed to think that you need college to succeed in life. I have met so many dumb ***** and people working at dead end jobs with college degrees its not even funny. If you retards read my entire post i said you have to work hard no matter what path you choose. Apparently people with a degree think it means something, now thats a joke.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its amazing how many people have been brainwashed to think that you need college to succeed in life. I have met so many dumb ***** and people working at dead end jobs with college degrees its not even funny. If you retards read my entire post i said you have to work hard no matter what path you choose. Apparently people with a degree think it means something, now thats a joke.
You should move out of Pismo and quit McDonalds. Of course having a college degree does not automatically tag you as being a genius and successful. Of course you have to work hard no matter what. But the fact is unless you work for yourself (which does not happen that often with success) you should have a degree if you want to move up in a company. Like many people have been saying here, sure turning wrenches sounds fun now, but when you're 60? Probably not so much. There are exceptions, but why hamper yourself when you can get a degree and make life a little easier.

The fact of the matter is what you said about college being a "crutch for those who need it" is insanely idiotic, especially when giving that advice to a teenager. I am an environmental scientist and I work for a big consulting firm, who would never even talk to someone about a job who didn't have a degree. I wouldn't exactly say I went to college because I needed a crutch to get a job with them. I don't think I could have started working for them as a janitor and moved up to where I am now.

Btw, when you go to a company with a resume from a competitive college, with a good gpa, and a degree from a reputable program, you impress people during interviews and that DOES mean something.

P.S. So I don't get flamed, I am not saying you MUST have a degree to be successful, I'm just saying that you do 90% of the time.

P.S.S. Why wouldn't anyone want to go to college, I have never had so much fun getting drunk, making friends, and screwing chicks in my life. Have some fun while you're still young.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Not needing a degree and still making the big bucks?

Maybe 15 - 20+ yrs ago this may have been case, not so now-a-days. At that point college was price exclusive so only rich kids went, and they got richer. This left a lot of very intelligent people without a degree simply because they couldn't afford college, not because they weren't intelligent. These people started "on the floor" so to speak, and excelled by use of hard work and intelligence. Now, 20 years later, yes they may be making some $$$ because they are the "boss". But these bosses are about to retire in a lot of positions, and companies are filling these with individuals with degrees. In many cases I've seen it doesn't matter what your degree is in, but rather that you have one> They can train you to do the specific job.

Today, the government helps subsidize the cost of college and there are easy to obtain college loans, meaning any one that wants to go to college, can. Whats this means is yes, some people that obtain a degree are not the brightest nor the best, but they still have the diploma to prove they completed the work. However, try searching for a job on Monster or Career Builder without a degree. Its become the "standard" for many positions. They wont even look at your resume unless it has a degree of some sort, regardless of your experience.

Without a degree you might make good money at a trade (truck driving, electrical,mechanic, mason, etc... etc...) but that usually has a maximum salary and limited growth potential.

With a degree, you can sit behind a desk in a nice comfy office pushing paper most of the day and make better money is less time. I dont know about you but id rather feed my family and save my body behind a desk then turning wrenches.

BUT: if you need more incentive to go to college, just look at Nineball's garage...
Old 10-11-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P.S.S. Why wouldn't anyone want to go to college, I have never had so much fun getting drunk, making friends, and screwing chicks in my life. Have some fun while you're still young.
Haha, thats the only fun part, i like working things also.

-Thank you for all the good information, now i have to do some searching...
Old 10-12-2007, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

check out morrisville state college. its another SUNY school like an hour away from stoneonta. I go there for a bachelors of science and technology in automotive technology. Its a GREAT hands on bachelors degree that teaches you the latest and greatest of new automotive tech. We have a brand new state-of-the-art auto building with 30+ lifts, a dyno, 2 alignment racks, tranny dyno, classrooms, full scan tools (manufacturer specific too), and everything else. Students can work on their own cars, and its just a blast doing it. Plus there really isnt that much "gen ed" classes, and book work that go along with it. morrisville.edu and then check out automotive tech. You can also PM me for more info

Oh ya and another auto building is under construction that will be the new(er) body lab, spray booth, and automotive performance center!
Old 10-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Teching In

how large is the difference between an met degree and an aet degree? ive been told that the aet degree just puts you on-line to turn wrenches at a dealership

Last edited by ninety3oc; 10-12-2007 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by loyolacub68
You should move out of Pismo and quit McDonalds. Of course having a college degree does not automatically tag you as being a genius and successful. Of course you have to work hard no matter what. But the fact is unless you work for yourself (which does not happen that often with success) you should have a degree if you want to move up in a company. Like many people have been saying here, sure turning wrenches sounds fun now, but when you're 60? Probably not so much. There are exceptions, but why hamper yourself when you can get a degree and make life a little easier.

The fact of the matter is what you said about college being a "crutch for those who need it" is insanely idiotic, especially when giving that advice to a teenager. I am an environmental scientist and I work for a big consulting firm, who would never even talk to someone about a job who didn't have a degree. I wouldn't exactly say I went to college because I needed a crutch to get a job with them. I don't think I could have started working for them as a janitor and moved up to where I am now.

Btw, when you go to a company with a resume from a competitive college, with a good gpa, and a degree from a reputable program, you impress people during interviews and that DOES mean something.

P.S. So I don't get flamed, I am not saying you MUST have a degree to be successful, I'm just saying that you do 90% of the time.

Not even going to comment on the Mcdonalds remark, personal attacks are pretty dumb. Apparently you and everyone else on the U OF Bullshit bandwagon still dont want to address what this country really needs and that is financially educated people (that aren't knee deep in debt, 53% of americans have no emergency savings= emergency savings = 3-4 months of income in a seperate account) that actually know what to do with their big "corporate" paychecks when they get them. My original comment of "crutch for those who need it" is exactly true. I will forever stand by that comment. For those sheeple that like to get in line and punch the clock in their windowless office and work the 9-5 at some job "where only degrees" are accepted is fine by me. For some people a general degree at whereever college will get them a decent job that they can put themselves on autopilot with for the rest of their lives. Me, I choose something better, something off the beaten trail. Working on being financially literate, investment savy and having the drive to STOP WORKING at an early age is something everyone should strive for. Its what gets me up every morning to work hard and what keeps me up at night messing with my stocks. To get back to topic. This kid should go where his heart desires and never listen to people who say you can only be successful if you do things one way. Don't ever let someone tell you, you cant do something. If you have the hunger your halfway there. Threads like this make financial independence my own way that much more rewarding...

Last edited by TanRchy; 10-12-2007 at 10:04 PM. Reason: felt like it
Old 10-12-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol, you act like everyone who has gone to college can't possibly have it as good as you. And for the record, I am not in debt, my job isnt 9-5 or in a windowless office, and yes, my company will only accept people with a degree. And lets talk about personal attacks, you are the one that came in here calling people "retards" who think college is a good idea .

By the way, for a job like becoming an airline pilot for example. If you don't have a degree you can not get a job. End of story.

This guy was talking about wanting to design pistons and engines, you think he will ever get a f'ing job without going to school first? Get a clue.

Not even going to comment on the Mcdonalds remark, personal attacks are pretty dumb. Apparently you and everyone else on the U OF Bullshit bandwagon still dont want to address what this country really needs and that is financially educated people (that aren't knee deep in debt, 53% of americans have no emergency savings= emergency savings = 3-4 months of income in a seperate account) that actually know what to do with their big "corporate" paychecks when they get them. My original comment of "crutch for those who need it" is exactly true. I will forever stand by that comment. For those sheeple that like to get in line and punch the clock in their windowless office and work the 9-5 at some job "where only degrees" are accepted is fine by me. For some people a general degree at whereever college will get them a decent job that they can put themselves on autopilot with for the rest of their lives. Me, I choose something better, something off the beaten trail. Working on being financially literate, investment savy and having the drive to STOP WORKING at an early age is something everyone should strive for. Its what gets me up every morning to work hard and what keeps me up at night messing with my stocks. To get back to topic. This kid should go where his heart desires and never listen to people who say you can only be successful if you do things one way. Don't ever let someone tell you, you cant do something. If you have the hunger your halfway there. Threads like this make financial independence my own way that much more rewarding...
Old 10-13-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

wow, some strong words here. Best advice is for what you are after is getting some kind of degree wether its engineering or a trade, etc. Sounds like you are pointing in the direction of engineering, mechanical at that. Word of advise is its not all cracked up to be and only once you are there you will truly know if its for you are not. Not many people end up doing what they wanted to do out of or in high school, not b/c of they can't wether its financial or intellectual but b/c they simply jsut didn't want to. Thye ended up not liking it and decding it wasn't for them after 4 or more years of school. A waste? Well to some but not to everyone, something to fall back on but some years of wasted time setting yourself up on your feet or finding what you wnated to do. Atlest you don't have the, 'Gee I wonder if that was for me, God I wish I had done that'. It boils down to what you want to do, don't listen to someone but simply take into consideration of their advice. I have always loved cars and was like you at my younger years installing, fabing, tinkinering, etc pertaining to the automotive industry. I knew that simply pulling wrenches in a garage wouldn't do it for me both financially or emotionally speaking. I first thought of a trade b/c that was what my waste of time guidance consellor had mentioned than I was thinking Mech Eng. I knew countless people that not only failed out but ended up not even using this digree if managed to pass. Some very smart people, I wasn't afraid of the feat as I was fairly smart when putting the effort in but figured that wasn't the route either. Quickly closing in on grade 12, my dad had given me a reccommendation for Power Engineering. A glorified Process Operator, Jack of all Trades, Master of none. EVerything you can basically think of, a lil of this a a lil of that. Touching a bit of everything, knowing how it works and operating it. Some places pending where you work you will fix to some extent but not were I currently work. We are not allowed to, a very big Heavy Oil Upgrading Facilty. Anyways, I ahve all of the time to learn and epand my knowledge if I desire and can take myself as far as I desire. Weith some study on the job, I can achieve my second class cirtificate and actually challenge my degree in Mechainical Engineering if I choose. Some very serious stuff if you decide to take the journey. Not sure Id I will, I am content at the level I am at as I am only 23 but still strive to work hard but home always comes first. I make enought money to have the toys and do all the tickering on my days off that end up being more thatn I actually work. I can shoose a project and unload into it. I ahve always wanted to own my own shop and stated tha if I 'were' to win the lottery I'd open my own shop, not to be rich but to do something I love. Its hard to have a job that you actual love and make allot of money,etc. Its usually one of the other and I knew I couldn't do it with the rich hobbies I've always had. Once you get the big pay cheques its hard to go back down.

I like to ramble on, keep your eyes open and do what only you want. You are young so if you decide to do something and not like it, its not the end of the world. The key is to get on track and stay on it, find somthing that you are good at doing. Not all of us can have that dream job and pick what we want to do and make a **** load of cash. You can't always have you cake and eat it too.

Good luck, hope I helped out. If not I tried. Make sure to leave sometime for having fun too, you are still young. Once you get older, ahve kids, etc it's too late. I am nearing that stage right now. Good Luck
Old 10-13-2007, 08:27 PM
12 Second Club

At university of north carolina at charlotte they have motorsports engineering and mechanical engineering. you might want to check that out.
i know someone who has a major in mechanical and a minor in motorsports engineering and he is currently a race day engineer in the Busch series for car number 6 i think.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fastvert

BUT: if you need more incentive to go to college, just look at Nineball's garage...
Old 10-15-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

First thing you have to do is decide FOR YOURSELF... what you want to do.. College or even school for that matter isnt for everybody.. I personally hated school but did ok.. I started working on race cars when I was 13 I knew buy the time I was 16-17 it was what I wanted to do for a living So college wasnt even a thought.. Racing has been good to me it also is the curse that is the cure tons of sacrifice injury you name it.. its almost like a rodeo...But there is nothing better than winning...For different people that maybe closing a huge deal putting some scumbag in jail...build a piston thats 3HP better Find out what you want to win...I couldnt imagine going to work everyday in some highrise in a suit and tie doing the same **** day in and day out for some big corparation that dosent give a **** about you with or anyone else for that matter...stick me behind some big desk I'd kill myself...takeaway that thrill of competition or winning whats left ? Nothing I want...I have been all over the world racing from Pell City Alabama... Tokoyo Japan met some trully awesome and unique people I wouldnt trade it for the world.. Take what people have to say in moderation dont let them sell you on something you really dont want to buy...Your 18 you can afford to **** away a few years dont sit in a cubicale 10 years from now with a wife and 2 kids at home and wonder what could of been.. Theres alot of different paths to get where you want to go in life some are just a little tougher than others.. hard work dedication and commitment to exelence...A job like mine has given me one thing,that would be work ethic... dosent matter if we have to work 8 hours or 20 7 days a week it has to be done they wont hold a race because your not ready...I could take that to "a real job" and do well with it...getting the other lazy bastards to understand is wgere there would be a problem...
Old 10-16-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

You need to decide how deep you want to go. A Mechanical Engineering Technology program might be for you.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:23 PM
Teching In

You obviously NEVER attended college..Iam not even done yet and Ive done work for Roush Performance, Superformance and now Toyota (head office). Try that w/o an education big guy.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

have you looked into UTI (universal technical institute) or NTI (nascar technical institute) both are really good schools and highly acredited when you complete the year and a half course you will be ASE certified and everything ready to go straight into the automotive field...and i believe they have hardly any bookwork...i have the same problem i cant do anything but hands on learning and training...good luck.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think LoyolaCub68 said it pretty well- you want to do anything corporate and get somewhere a degree is VERY important. There was an article in the local paper a month or so ago about people who work jobs very different from what they majored in, but that little piece of paper showed they had the dedication and drive to stick with something. Among other things my dad is in charge of hiring people occasionally for the seed business he works at, and he's told me several times how Person A with more real world expierence has lost out because he didnt have a college degree like Person B (along with some real world exp.). Right or wrong that's the way its worked out several times for him.
For those that go to start their own business a college degree isn't necessary. What is necessary is personal and finance skills. Maybe you go and take some classes to get an understanding of finance and manage money but never get a degree, as long as you have the skills to succeed no matter how you get them. If you understand finances, find something your extremely passionate/knowledgable(sp) about, and have good people skills your chances of running a successful business are far greater, but there is still luck involved.
I know several people who run their own business very successfully and they all have a couple things in common- passion for what they do and people skills. The choice is yours, but if you plan to move your way anywhere up a corporate ladder you will need a degree at some time or another. If you start a business and it fails odds are you will end up working for someone else, and to get into a good spot with that company guess what? You'll prob. need a degree. It never hurts

Quick Reply: 18 years old... and college SUCKS!