Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

SamRacing???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SamRacing???

i would like to hear about it from people that have gone or are attending the school. im thinking about going there once i get out of the military. really its between them and UTI.

uti seems like it good be good b/c you have a chance to get in to programs such as benze,bmw,audi,porche etc. and with a company like that you will make good money as a tech.

sam seems like a good school b/c you would be able to start your own business once your finished or work for well known racing company. which i would perfer but what is the demand like for someone who machines engines and builds them, ports heads, does cnc work. that what im not sure about.

as far as i will only get out as much as i put in. thats not going to be a problem. i will be making a hugh life change by doing this so I WILL get everything i can out of either. this is going to be a career change for me and something im going to do until retirement one day.

if you could give me an idea of what you make and what you do i would appricate that.

thanks matt
Old 02-28-2008, 11:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

I would say don't quit your day job just yet. The performance aftermarket industry is a mega flaky environment with very little stability.

OTOH if you really enjoy race engines and understanding and building them and want to work in NASCAR or the NHRA etc I think that SAM is awsome. I went there and worked there for several years and its a great place with even greater people. You will get more out of it than anything or anywhere else concerning race engines and you will make a lot of valuable contacts there as well that will last you a lifetime.

Don't however think that your own business would be much better than working for a good stable company because I have seen no less than 47 shops I know of go down in the last 5 years alone so there is not tons of money in doing it yourself and it takes years to get the reputation and clientel that do make it worthwhile.

Anotherwords if you are really into the heart of a race car, it's engine, then go to SAM. If you want to work in the racing industry and have a large edge and leg up on the other guys, go to SAM. If you want to open your own business though SAM is great but you need lots and lots of money and even more hard work and truly ridiculous hours and a whole lot of luck. Just make sure like you said that you work somewhere else at least 5 years so you really know what it all entails before you put your own life on hold trying to make it happen.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by whiteLS1
i would like to hear about it from people that have gone or are attending the school. im thinking about going there once i get out of the military. really its between them and UTI.

uti seems like it good be good b/c you have a chance to get in to programs such as benze,bmw,audi,porche etc. and with a company like that you will make good money as a tech.

sam seems like a good school b/c you would be able to start your own business once your finished or work for well known racing company. which i would perfer but what is the demand like for someone who machines engines and builds them, ports heads, does cnc work. that what im not sure about.

as far as i will only get out as much as i put in. thats not going to be a problem. i will be making a hugh life change by doing this so I WILL get everything i can out of either. this is going to be a career change for me and something im going to do until retirement one day.

if you could give me an idea of what you make and what you do i would appricate that.

thanks matt
Matt I know of guys from the school making from 25K a year to start to over 100K a year. It all depends on where and what shop they are with and what they do once they get in the work environment. The NASCAR shops are probably the best overall in pay. I know so many old students and the good ones always ended up making good money as well wherever they went. Like any career the economy has it's ups and downs too depending on the industry.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:19 AM
Teching In

I would also like the know info on this subject. I am also currently in the Marine Corp and will be attending SAM this summer(already registered for classes). Matt I would not recommend UTI. I have a few friends of mine that went to the one in Chicago, and they all got good knowledge, supposedly, but out of the 4 that i know that went, none of them are doing a career because of the school. I don't think they got what they wanted at all out of the school. But thats just what i know from friends who went, if someone else has a different experience i would like to know. But I did a tour at SAM recently, and WOW. I sat in on one of the classes for about 15 minutes, and the knowledge was unbelievable. It was like reading hours of LS1tech forums except the knowledge was 100% accurate. I am looking very forward to it, and when it starts i will let you know what its like.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it comes to your own buisness keep this in mind.

I only know one guy in Indianapolis that has his own shop (not talking big engine builder type shops like Rher and them). Its out behined his house, he does work for a major NHRA team and other people stuff all over the country, he used to be the head porter for one of the top HEMI engine builders in the country and was or still is doing work with Steve Schmidt racing engines and Carcraft did an acticle on his heads. Has 14+ years in Pro Stock and other stuff.

He has such a good reputation and does such good work that people drop stuff off and don't even ask how much its going to cost. Right now I know is has like a 4 months wait or something crazy.

He will be the one doing my heads/intake/cam next winter.

My point is that you have to cut your teeth for a long time and make a name for yourself before you can get on that level. When it comes to big block stuff and the more high end LSX stuff people are not going to drop off their high dollar stuff to just anyone. See what I am getting at?

By all means if you want your own shop then keep your eyes on that goal and don't let anyone stop you, I am just pointing out a few things
Old 02-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Launching!

oh i know that i would not just finish the school and start a business i guess i should have been more clear about that. lol i just feel that it would give me a chance one day to do it.

i work want to work for someone else to start off. i know i would learn even more that way. and i do understand word of mouth is one of the most important things there is when it comes to owning your own business.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by whiteLS1
oh i know that i would not just finish the school and start a business i guess i should have been more clear about that. lol i just feel that it would give me a chance one day to do it.

i work want to work for someone else to start off. i know i would learn even more that way. and i do understand word of mouth is one of the most important things there is when it comes to owning your own business.
With that additute you will go far in life

Your right, even after school listen more then you speak.

I am an aircraft structures tech and learned more in a month working on airplanes then I ever did when I was in school for it for two years.
I found the best people in the hangar and asked them to teach me and make me a better tech and I did what they said and I went from a 0 level to a 2-3 level in about 6 months (5 level is the top).

Good luck to you man, if you do go to SAM do what I would do, make it worth the huge amount of money you have to pay and stay as late as you can every day untill they lock the doors, ask as many questions as you can and have people critique you all the time.

If I can arange it I am going to try and go in a few years......
Old 02-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
With that additute you will go far in life

Your right, even after school listen more then you speak.

I am an aircraft structures tech and learned more in a month working on airplanes then I ever did when I was in school for it for two years.
I found the best people in the hangar and asked them to teach me and make me a better tech and I did what they said and I went from a 0 level to a 2-3 level in about 6 months (5 level is the top).

Good luck to you man, if you do go to SAM do what I would do, make it worth the huge amount of money you have to pay and stay as late as you can every day untill they lock the doors, ask as many questions as you can and have people critique you all the time.

If I can arange it I am going to try and go in a few years......

so your sheet metal cool. im a fuel system guy. im in the process of having an meb done on me since i have become allergic to fuel and im hoping it comes back telling me they are going to let me out instead of crosstraining. but if not i only have until the middle of next year.
i actually got my 5 level faster then any body in my shop has when i was at my first base. working on **** just comes natural to me.

but in 6 weeks i will no if im getting out within 5 weeks of that 6 weeks or sometime next year. i just cant wait to start a new career.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Im a civilian, our 5 level is like your 8 level or whatever it is thats the highest you can get.

Need to wear a resperator when you are around that stuff or a seperate air system man. Just because they say the fume levels and all are safe means nothing.

I use Acetone, MEK, Desoclean, Aircraft paint and others all day long, gotta be safe or it will hurt you in th elong run, my uncle got cancer and died because of Acetone.

If they find anything at all I would talk to a lawyer about what you should do no legally incase something come up down the road.

Or are you just allergic to the vapors and or fuel on your skin????

We fueled up our bird last night and did dry engine runs, that was cool.

If they do let you out don't sign anything waiving any conditions you may have in the future (medical).

By the way, if you do go to SAM you might find a local machine shop that would hire you to help out some a few hours a day.

I am going to try and do that here.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 02-29-2008 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: SamRacing???