Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Revealed - Ford FR500 Cobra Jet Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shoemike

What is it with the auto manufacturers rehashing old names and, designs?
The retro BS is way overplayed and i wish it would go away.
Why would anyone want a car that looks like what your father or grandfather was driving back in their heydays?

It is a shame the consumer is at the mercy of some unimaginative douche that
needs to clone someone else`s design.
You really don't know the answer to your questions?
The name of the game is selling vehicles. Name recognition is huge.
Why do you think Chrysler uses 'Hemi'? The damned engine isn't even
a hemi.

BTW...if you read my first few posts...I was right about the track
performance.

I can't believe some of you guys are hating on a car like this.
I get the price debate. If you can't afford it, don't bitch about it.
You should still respect it's capability.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly unit 213, if you ppl haven't noticed money is short, the mo spectators, the more $ for nhra and ford. Nhra has lowered ticket prices. Nhra.com also has a spread about the cobra jet just I can't copy it here. Also cobra jet is listed already in the rulebooks and the specs. frpp is going to give 1k for a overall win by any cobra jet driver in (stock) at national events.

Getting down to it... 2 will have g force 4 speeds w v gate.. calvert racing (caltracs)
2 will have c4's w chance converters, the others in those pics of a/sa cars, ie squirrel and moose in kansas, all 4 owned by one guy.

A week we find out at pomona what they do. Then I find out myself what is real. Btw why would anyone publish times right before a big race about a unknown car? I'd show slow videos myself.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats lame chevy and dodge wont be joining

the 1k is cool though

it will be interesting to see how they do later this week
Old 02-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
thats lame chevy and dodge wont be joining

the 1k is cool though

it will be interesting to see how they do later this week
Dodge was first.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:54 AM
***Repost Police***

Yeah, but I think they're gonna need a bit more to be competitive.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by supernova1972
Dodge was first.
what?
Old 02-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
what?
Dodge released a race only Challenger. Same deal expensive, cant drive it on the street. Not supercharged though. And not as fast. Im sure Chevy will join. LS9 race only version would be cool, but an LS7 or heck even a stripped LS3 would be nice to see.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by supernova1972
Dodge released a race only Challenger. Same deal expensive, cant drive it on the street. Not supercharged though. And not as fast. Im sure Chevy will join. LS9 race only version would be cool, but an LS7 or heck even a stripped LS3 would be nice to see.
did you read what sonic blue said?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Launching!

oh my bad i didnt
Old 02-14-2009, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Bump to an old thread for an update...

Some of you guys are pretty funny. This car dominated it's NHRA class.
Guys have already gone 9's with just a tune.

2010 Ford FR500CJ Cobra Jet - History Always Repeats Itself
WEB EXCLUSIVE!! 41 years later, the Cobra Jet lives up to its legend.
By Michael Galimi
Photography by Courtesy of NHRA

February 11, 2009 will go down in history, not for the government bailout of the worst economic situation since the Great Depresssion, but because Ford Racing's latest entry in grassroots motorsports is atop of the NHRA Stock Eliminator world with its Cobra Jet Mustang--some 41 years after the initial Cobra Jet factory racer took home the win at the 1968 NHRA Winternationals at Pomona. Legendary chassis guru and owner of Cal-Tracs, John Calvert, drove a 2008 Cobra Jet Mustang into history.

John Calvert continually teased NHRA fans and racers online, especially YouTube viewers, with video clips of testing sessions. The videos never showed completed runs and the car was obviously working really hard on the starting as it left wheels up each and every run. Calvert entered competition with a fully-prepped and tested Cobra Jet, he wasn't looking to just be in the field but rather dominate it. He was one of four entries in Stock Eliminator who drove a Cobra Jet. He was the best of the group and qualified number two in the 84-car field. The performance was nothing short of outstanding as he ran 10.08 on the A/Stick index of 11.25. That put him 1.17 under his index, Stock Eliminator qualifies based on how much quicker (or slower) or your car runs against a given index.

Calvert mowed through 7 rounds of eliminations to reach the pinnacle of a NHRA National Event and write his name in the history books. It was 41 years after the inaugural Cobra Jet debut that Calvert repeated history. Calvert had luck on his side--he broke out with a 10.136 on a 10.14 dial-in while his competitor, Tom Gaynor went red with a -.079 light. His victory falls into the realm of being more lucky than good because Gaynor ran a 10.73 on a 10.73 dial-in.

Officially named the FR500CJ, Ford Racing built 100 cars to meet NHRA's minimum car-count standards. Ford delivers the Cobra Jet cars with a glaring 400 horsepower (nudge-nudge, wink-wink), a rating far under the combination's potential thanks to Ford Racing electronically controlling output so that it fits in the rules. Let's be realistic, the engine is a GT500 powerplant with a TVS blower, larger throttle body and MAF sensor, and ARH long-tube headers amongst some other minor details. The 400 horse rating is far less than what that engine could produce with a little bit of a workout on the chassis dyno. The cars are more than a Mustang with a hot rodded engine. The vehicles are designed for NHRA Stock Eliminator competition and fitted accordingly. The suspension and driveline are prepped for competition, albeit some minor equipment upgrades. The cars roll on Bogart wheels, 30x9-inch slicks, and skinny racing rubber. Ford even outfits the interior with six-point roll bars and lightens up the vehicles as much as possible.

The 1968 Cobra Jet is a legendary Mustang that was built to outperform its competitors on the drag strip. Bob Tasca of Tasca Ford is credited with pushing Ford to build the Cobra Jet. Tasca's desire to win in NHRA competition led him to drop a 428ci FE (available in Galaxy and Shelby Mustang) into a civilian Mustang and show what could be done. He added a 427 high rise manifold to the engine to get it to make more power. The first Cobra Jet to hit the track was at the 1968 NHRA Winternationals and it was instantly successful by winning class that same weekend.

Jamie Allison
Ford Racing

Last edited by unit213; 02-14-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:57 AM
10 Second Club

That's not a bad deal at all if it's trapping in the 130s.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Cobra Commander
That's not a bad deal at all if it's trapping in the 130s.
They run 9's with a tune only.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

That's pretty kick ***.

I'd heard about this car elsewhere and didn't think it'd have a thread on here.

I thought that car would be stout as hell, nice to see that Ford still has it and that it came out on top.

That 5.4 S/C cobra engine is simply amazing, and that mustang looks incredibly sorted out with the results to prove it.

A well deserving win indeed.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

yep pretty sweet car, its on the cover of the national dragster, its awesome

Quick Reply: Revealed - Ford FR500 Cobra Jet Mustang