Old 01-08-2009 | 09:04 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 25psi
-If they use the same trans/gearing, the LT5 would be more fuel efficient
Now you're the one that's speculating.

-why would the top speed be less
Why? Because generally speaking, a DOHC/32+ valve motor of the same displacement will be physically larger (4.6L DOHC Cobra motor is larger than the 5.0L OHV...LT5 is larger than the LSx etc.) than the current Gen III/IV GM V8s and wouldn't fit under the hood/between the inner fenderwells of the current Corvette thus creating the need to increase the vehicle's width and hood height...all else being equal.
Old 01-08-2009 | 09:09 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by My1st Truck
Yep, Driven a VW, Mopar or some newer Hondas with OHC? Not smooth at all. Driven a push rod Cadillac? Can't even tell it is running. Marketing is the only thing that makes it better.
Remember OHC is old too. 1913ish and used in production in the 20's
That's what I find somewhat ironic...so many people tend to classify the typical OHC design as being more "high tech" or more contemporary when in fact it is an older technology then the OHV design LOL.
Old 01-08-2009 | 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1LT1

Why? Because generally speaking, a DOHC/32+ valve motor of the same displacement will be physically larger (4.6L DOHC Cobra motor is larger than the 5.0L OHV...LT5 is larger than the LSx etc.) than the current Gen III/IV GM V8s and wouldn't fit under the hood/between the inner fenderwells of the current Corvette thus creating the need to increase the vehicle's width and hood height...all else being equal.

There's no speculating is the motor is more efficient(105hp and 60lbft more) given the same displacement as the LT1.

The LT5 in the Vette has the same dimensions as the LT1 Vette.
Old 01-08-2009 | 09:12 PM
***Repost Police***

Yep, Driven a VW, Mopar or some newer Hondas with OHC? Not smooth at all. Driven a push rod Cadillac? Can't even tell it is running. Marketing is the only thing that makes it better.
Remeber OHC is old too. 1913ish and used in production in the 20's
GM had straight OHC 6s in the 60's.
That debate is crazy, the one that makes the most power with the least moving parts wins.
What OHC Hondas have you driven that weren't smooth? Even the S2000 is relatively smooth. And my sister's old 3.2TL was buttah-smooth.
Originally Posted by LS1LT1

They didn't have to make those changes with the ZR1...
Old 01-08-2009 | 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wasnt the LT5 considered a failure?
Old 01-08-2009 | 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
What OHC Hondas have you driven that weren't smooth? Even the S2000 is relatively smooth. And my sister's old 3.2TL was buttah-smooth.

Beat you to it
Old 01-08-2009 | 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GMmexican
Nope...
Old 01-08-2009 | 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

The 2.4 4cyl accord. I had a rental with 8200 miles on it.
Not smooth at all and with the AC it was horrid. I had to drive that turd 1200 miles.
Old 01-08-2009 | 09:14 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by GMmexican
The ZR-1 came at the wrong time... it reached it's zenith as the American sports-car market was failing. Did you know that originally the C5 was supposed to be introduced in 1993, but had to be pushed back all the way to 1997 because of budget cuts?
Old 01-08-2009 | 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not smooth at all and with the AC it was horrid. I had to drive that turd 1200 miles.
It was a rental. I beat the shiet out of em.
Old 01-08-2009 | 09:16 PM
***Repost Police***

I'll agree they ain't very powerful (especially if you're used to a fast car), but did you ever think that maybe part of the issue with it was that it was a RENTAL car?
Old 01-08-2009 | 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

With 8200 miles? It is beat?
I guess Honda does make **** then eh?
I mentioned this on a another fourm I frequent and two other folks said had the same type of experience. One of them owns ones.
www.carnuts.us
Old 01-08-2009 | 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

-You are speculating that the increase in weight, could not be negated through the chassis.
Why compensate though? Lighter = better no matter how you want to argue.
-If they use the same trans/gearing, the LT5 would be more fuel efficient
Then why did the LT5 get the same gas mileage as the LT1?

-why would the top speed be less, it would be more with the same exact setup and gearing.
Why would it be more given the same setup?

We will see what the future holds for the vette. But I guarantee you in the near future, it will be dohc design. Just like the new V6 Caddies
There would be no point. Unfortunately the C6 ZR1 will be the most powerful Corvette we will see for a long time, and if they are not making stupid big power there is no reason to add weight, cost, complexity and size and not gain anything but marketing from it.
Old 01-08-2009 | 09:19 PM
***Repost Police***

Anything can be destroyed if you beat on it hard enough and don't take care of it. 8200 miles of retardedly-bad driving is gonna be pretty tough on a car if the oil isn't changed. But I'm not gonna try and make excuse for it, cuz I wasn't there and neither of us know the conditions that the car was normally driven in.
Old 01-08-2009 | 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think we should go back to these points. It took GM 10 years to surpass what the LT5 did. 105hp difference with the same displacement. I think this about sums it up.
Seriously you do get dumber with each post. GM CHOSE to make a 350hp engine for the C5. Do you think they just all of a sudden discovered "Hey, if we put better flowing exhaust and heads with a slightly bigger cam we can make 400hp!" No. They CHOSE to make a 405hp LS6, its stupid easy to get more power out of it.
This is as dumb as saying that the Japanese couldn't make an engine with more than 280hp. Obviously wrong because they all CHOSE make no more.
GM also CHOSE to go back to the lighter, smaller, more efficient OHV engine after having a DOHC engine. I think this about sums it up.
Old 01-08-2009 | 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

There's no speculating is the motor is more efficient(105hp and 60lbft more) given the same displacement as the LT1.

The LT5 in the Vette has the same dimensions as the LT1 Vette.
You've obviously never seen under the hood of a ZR1 or LT1 'vette. The LT5 is MASSIVE, and way wider. Seriously just stop while you are ahead.
Old 01-08-2009 | 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Why compensate though? Lighter = better no matter how you want to argue.

Then why did the LT5 get the same gas mileage as the LT1?

Why would it be more given the same setup?

There would be no point. Unfortunately the C6 ZR1 will be the most powerful Corvette we will see for a long time, and if they are not making stupid big power there is no reason to add weight, cost, complexity and size and not gain anything but marketing from it.
Dohc has a very significant design advantage. This is not a matter of car comparisons, but simply engine head comparison. dDohc valve positioning allows for better breathing because a)there are two or three individual valves doing the job of 1. This allows for higher flow velocity while flow rate remains and also more efficient flow, because of two or more smaller valves now posing less of a restriction and creating less turbulence. Also, less lift is required to create the same flow rate. That aside, you can now also position the valves much more ideally. Aside from this, one huge valve requires more force to be operated than two smaller ones. The two valves weigh quite a bit less and each require significantly less spring pressure to operate at the same levels of rpm. We also have less reciprocating mass and have only increased the rotating mass slightly. The valvetrain overall is actually lighter and requires less force to operate.

There is also more reciprocating mass (where rotating mass isn't that much of an issue) and this requires even greater spring pressure to limit valve float.

I can go on and on and on about why exactly there are limitations to pushrod engines and i have for many pages. There are apparent design advantages to pushrod units (weight/size) but they can be overcome for dohc engines, where the more efficient and effective breathing of dohc will never be matched by pushrod heads. As good as a pushrod head could be designed, the same level of engineering will yield better end results with a dohc design.

With its technology and manufacturing abilities, gm could easily produce a physically small and light fair displacement V8 to weigh no more than the current ls1/2 and be capable of producing more output than either one of them, with the same, or even lower displacement, while requiring slightly less fuel to do so.

The usable torque that pushrod engines have comes from their lower state of tune(cant revv as easily) and larger displacement. Give a dohc head the same displacement and it will consume the same fuel and breath better at partial throttle(also, the higher intake velocity at partial throttle and lower revvs contributes to a better fuel atomization and more effective pumping in general)and produce more torque everywhere, therefore more power everywhere. This equates to greater EFFICIENCY, more power from the same displacement and consumption, or the same power from less displacement and less fuel consumption.

I would also disagree with a heavier, far larger engine in a vette, producing the same output and adding complexity. Nonetheless, that doesn't outrule the possibility of this powerplant possibly having the same advantages of the lt5, without its disadvantages(which weren't that significant btw).

The lt5 weighed about 50 lbs more than the lt1/4, which isn't that significant at all. These days they could build an engine similar to the lt5, but with a smaller size and lower weight.

Here is a quote from shubeck racing, a premier engine designer for offshore boats etc.

Lets Face the Facts

"Most of the engines used in hi-performance race cars and race boats today, are modified from the engines designed for Detroit production automobiles in the 1950s and 60s.

The engines are based on an overhead valve head design with two valves per cylinder, driven by a single camshaft in the block through varied arrangements of tappets and push rods.

Granted, when first introduced, they were a far cry better than Henry Ford’s Flathead engines, that were in Vogue at the time, but not in step with modern day engine technology.

The American Auto Industry, once known for its world leadership, got left behind with the introduction of more efficient, four valve per cylinder, dual overhead cam engines, built in Europe and Japan.The valve train in Schubeck engines, closely relate to those Mercedes and Honda race engines.

Compare the similarities between Schubeck engines and the engines winning at Lemons and Indy. Starting with the valve train, for example, newer engine designs all use overhead cams proven to be less stressful by doing away with problems related to push rods and tappets. Fewer moving parts mean less reciprocating weight. Less weight helps the valve train operate in all rpm ranges with less effort and more efficiency.

Adding to a more relaxed valve train are the smaller and lighter valves and springs, also requiring less spring pressure to operate. Four valves over two valves per cylinder, affords a greater ability for the engine to breath, thereby increasing the volumetric efficiency for more power.

Topping today's list of reasons for performance engine failures, are broker valve train components. All because they are overstressed. Schubeck's solution to this problem is obvious and simple. Reduce the stress."
http://www.schubeckracing.com/new2/i...position=52:52
Old 01-08-2009 | 09:33 PM
***Repost Police***

According to my sources, the LT5 weighed 39lbs more than the L98.
Old 01-08-2009 | 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
early 90s Prelude Si, and mid 90s Civic Si. As smooth as a lawnmower. But seriously they were not smooth by any means.

The C4 has a large engine bay.
Old 01-08-2009 | 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_specs.htm\

An LT1 is true SBC, well sort of the dimesions are the same. Just reversed cooled and no distributor
http://www.selectric.org/manuals/chevypower/

Quick Reply: Ward's 10 Best Engines for 2009