Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Ward's 10 Best Engines for 2009

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ss1129
How many camshaft did chevy break.......in stock applications ever? WTF does roofs have to do with doch.

Attacking randomly again at domestics. You cant hide it.

Its okay to swing from the nippon nuts
How many rocker arms, engine failures and trans issues in the C6Z. I suggest you go over to the Corvetteforum and check em out.

Just for the record My engine blew while on track at a performance driving school and our friends at GM WILL NOT WARRANTY THE ENGINE REPLACEMENT. The warranty language states that they will not cover damage caused while racing or competetive driving. I was not involved in either situation. I was enrolled in a performance driving school that does not teach racing or allow any competition between students. GM refused to review my class enrollment documents, would not inspect my engine or go through its computer info to even find out why or what caused the engine failed. Many dealers told me that I would have been better off if I had lied add told them it happened on the highway. DO NOT TELL GM YOU WERE EVER ON A TRACK! good luck to all others that enjoy track time with their Z's. I understand that they are changing the dry sump to a larger capacity tank for the 09's. Im now considering a Lingenfelter built engine for my GM BLACKBALLED Z06.
GM came out with a service bulletin specifically covering the ZR1, but what is interesting is how they work it in with what they claim is existing GM policy:

"General Motors designed and produced the ZR1 be driven on the roads. While the car is capable of awesome displays of power and speed it was not designed to be "raced". All of the restrictions that are currently in place for all of GM’s products are in place on the ZR1 as well. There are several notations in the warranty booklets that explain that GM may deny warranty coverage if the vehicle or part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper or insufficient maintenance or modifications not approved by GM. This includes common "upgrades" customers may make such as wheels, tires, suspension, brakes, air induction and engine calibrations. Please ensure this is covered with the owner when the vehicle is delivered. The ZR1 will perform well in a track environment; however, it was not designed, built or sold as a "track car." If an owner elects to use the car in such a manner, it is outside the intent of the warranty as supplied by General Motors and any damage as a result may not be covered by the GM warranty. Explaining this to a customer before the car is sold may prevent misunderstandings later."

In any event, how they can know that the blown engine was "a result" of an arguable racing activity is difficult to fathom if they haven't taken the engine apart to see why it failed.
Take that nonsense somewhere rookie. Every car manufacture has issues. It's not an isolated case amongst imports as you're making it to be.

The discussion we where having before you arrived was informational. You turned this into a pissing contest with your subconscious hatred toward imports.

Toodles,
Old 01-10-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your an import nut swinger regardless of what caddy uses. You know it, get over it, life goes on. I never said there was anything wrong with DOHC. Good Im glad Caddy uses it. God you ******* act like you invented mother ****** DOHC.

Plus you sound like a ****** when you say Toodles.
I don't want to embarrass you by telling you what I own. So I'll save you the trouble.

Chao,
Old 01-10-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 25psi
I'm talking about n/a vs n/a. Without the supercharger, the LS9 wouldn't make anywhere close to what a 7.0 liter dohc motor would make(c6z vs Dohc comparison).
Wrong again cheif, and this is the last time I'll say it. GM CHOSE to make 630hp. A DOHC while having the potential to make that much power or more, would not make any more magically.

The Viper motor, although impressive, does not make the power it should with such as huge motor.
Hello, this is reality and logic speaking, are you there 25psi? Dodge isn't anywhere NEAR the potential of that engine, they again CHOSE to make 600hp with that engine.

Why do companies make dohc conversion for the lsx motors?
Why did they stop making the conversion?
Old 01-10-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Because every example that I've should you, indicates that it will.
Every example indicates it will be more expensive, heavier, and physically bigger. Every example you have shown has had an LSx engine swapped in the place of that DOHC engine.

And people keep speculating that it will cost more with no physical proof. GM switched from pushrod to DOHC in the V6 Caddy and the cost are relatively the same as previous models. If you have the supply and demand the benefits far out weigh the negative.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...t5-engine.html

It wasn't until 12 years later that the LS6 benefited from a higher-lift camshaft and higher-compression pistons to raise horsepower from 350 to 405, and torque from 340 lb.-ft. to 400 lb.-ft.

Toodles,
Again, do you honestly think GM just suddenly discovered that if they put in a bigger cam with better flowing heads they would gain power? You really are dense... GM ONLY WANTED TO MAKE 345hp!
Now unless you have some logical arguments that you can provide SOLID proof of please GTFO because with each post you are looking more and more like a child.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

To the one who thinks hes not an import nut swinger. I went through the first 3....just the first 3 pages of threads you started and out of 75.....43 of them were about imports or import vs domestic racing or import vs import vs domestic racing.

Get over it, your a nutswinger.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

To the one who thinks hes not an import nut swinger. I went through the first 3....just the first 3 pages of threads you started and out of 75.....43 of them were about imports or import vs domestic racing or import vs import vs domestic racing.

Get over it, your a nutswinger.
You're a 25psi nutswinger, so we're even
Old 01-10-2009, 03:47 PM
12 Second Club

You're a 25psi nutswinger, so we're even
In order to swing from your nuts, I would have to like you.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

NHRA motors make a shitload of power, yes its nitromethane but dohc motors would not work in this application
Old 01-10-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my comment was dumb. I was drunk and thinking the viper was dohc...

I think the general statement being made by 25psi and what most are overlooking is the fact that ohc tend to make more hp/L compared to ohv. Not necessarily that the LS based engine isn't efficient for what it is. On AVERAGE, OHC gets you higher hp/L, where OHV gets you higher HP/$, HP/.lb, and less over size. Its one compromise for the other.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KW4life06
my comment was dumb. I was drunk and thinking the viper was dohc...

I think the general statement being made by 25psi and what most are overlooking is the fact that ohc tend to make more hp/L compared to ohv. Not necessarily that the LS based engine isn't efficient for what it is. On AVERAGE, OHC gets you higher hp/L, where OHV gets you higher HP/$, HP/.lb, and less over size. Its one compromise for the other.
Thank you. I never said that the lsx based engine was not efficient at making power, but that on a parallel comparison it won't make the same as a dohc setup.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

nobody was arguing that dohc wont make more power, 25psi just seems to think it will make tons more power.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

try fitting a 7.0l doch motor in anything and you'll know why gm uses pushrods. its lighter, more compact. it may make less hp/liter from the factory but it kicks the **** out of doch in the horsepower/engine weight horsepower/engine size. those are 2 things i care about. not horsepower/liter. thats magazine marketing bull **** that doesnt mean anything. an engine makes what it makes. plus you have a TON more potential with heads cams on a pushrod. go spend 5 grand to modify a bmw v10 and make 20-30 horsepower over stock. yay....

if i can have a 7l engine thats smaller, lighter, better power and more efficient then a dohc v10 i think ill take it. ohc engines are older then pushod designs. just two different ways to make power.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

sorry to interupt this argument but this list is ****!!!! i hate to admit it but the 3.6 should not be on there. i work at a cadillac dealer and see that those are the absolute bigges piles around. they have huge timing chain problems and its rare the chains make it past 60,00 more often then though they end up with new chains as new as 20,000!!!!. ive also herd nothing but bad things about the hemi. i hear they spin bearings like it there jobs. what does deserve recongnition is the ls motors. my dealer is also a gmc dealer and all the trucks that come in its rare they have any motor problems. the only thing close to a motor problem they ever have is that sometimes the rear studs on the exhaust manafolds break. thats it!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I remember looking at older list of the top ten. It quoted that the ls designed motors where to old an need updated, Thats why i don't really care who makes there top motor list anymore

Quick Reply: Ward's 10 Best Engines for 2009