Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Priced - Refreshed 2010 Ford Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattkimsey
The V6 Camaro will compete with the Mustang GT better than the Mustang GT will compete with the Camaro SS. Want to know why?

Mustang GT vs V6 Camaro = Mustang 15 extra HP and 200lbs lighter.
Mustang GT vs SS Camaro = Mustang 115 LESS HP and 300lbs lighter.

The V6 Camaro will likely be a little slower than the GT, but it makes up for it with the features I listed:

- better gas mileage
- IRS
- better weight balance
- stiffer chassis
- $6,000 less MSRP vs MSRP
- better driving dynamics

In the end, when you consider the total package, you could argue Camaro V6 > Mustang GT
But the torq of the GT is closer to the SS.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:45 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by caseypayne69
But the torq of the GT is closer to the SS.
Closer than it is to the V6? I doubt it. There is probably more of a spread from the V6 Camaro, but it isnt closer to the LS3.

The GT will be faster than the V6 Camaro, I have no doubt about that. But it wont be near the SS.

It will take the RUMORED 400hp to accomplish that and maybe surpass it depending on the power delivery, drivetrain (gearing) and final weights. I would expect the LS3 to still come out ahead when you look at current power delivery. The LS3 has a great torque curve and power delivery, better than N/A modular Fords.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
Ford doesnt care what you think. Ford is in the business of selling cars and the newest redesign of the mustang has been the most successful redesign in history.
Here we are again with the sales argument. Is this all any Mustang guy has? Apparently you don't realize how useless this argument is. Haven't you heard the age-old "McDonalds sells the most food so they must be the best" rebuttal? I mean it really does apply.

Why would they show their hand when theres no competition? To make you happy?
That's not what i'm talking about. What i'm commenting on is the fact that Ford now has a four year lead on the Camaro, yet when the Camaro hits the streets, the Mustang is going to be right back in second place. If Ford could have mustered 400hp or something very close to it for this refresh, they could be matching the Camaro's performance at it's release. Now they are starting AGAIN at a disadvantage, and despite what all you Ford fanboys claim, at this point there's no reason to believe we will see 400hp in a GT in the near future. I'm certainly not saying it won't happen, but now i'm not expecting it, as I was for this refresh. There's just too much opposition in the market right now to say that it will happen with any kind of certainty.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:18 PM
***Repost Police***

Like I said, we'll see. But I think you're wrong. And you can look it up basically anywhere on the internet that the Mustang GT starts around 3,500lbs. is your friend.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:52 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
That's not what i'm talking about. What i'm commenting on is the fact that Ford now has a four year lead on the Camaro, yet when the Camaro hits the streets, the Mustang is going to be right back in second place.
Third when you add in the Challenger.

Then there is the 370Z and Hyundai Genesis Coupe(I know, but still- over 300hp, 6 speed, 4-1 gear ratio and 3400lbs).

Its getting to be a crowded in the sporty, affordable RWD Coupe segment.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Restricted User

Talking

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Like I said, we'll see. But I think you're wrong. And you can look it up basically anywhere on the internet that the Mustang GT starts around 3,500lbs. is your friend.
So then we are in agreement. There is no sub-3400lb GT.

If the GT starts at 3500lbs, then 3722lbs for the fully loaded model is perfectly logical.

Glad we sorted that one out.

Originally Posted by mzoomora
Third when you add in the Challenger.

Then there is the 370Z and Hyundai Genesis Coupe(I know, but still- over 300hp, 6 speed, 4-1 gear ratio and 3400lbs).

Its getting to be a crowded in the sporty, affordable RWD Coupe segment.
Yeah but will the Challenger at 4200lbs really be faster than the GT? Yeah I guess it could be. That one may be closer than we'd expect.

Also, I'm not really referring to "sporty affordable RWD coupes". I'm speaking of american muscle cars (i.e. all that really matters ).
Old 02-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not a Mustang fan at all but they ******* sell a ton of them to keep them alive. How many women drive f-body's compared to the Mustangs? I hope the V6 Camaro sells or that will be dead in a couple years, probably will be anyway.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mzoomora
Closer than it is to the V6? I doubt it. There is probably more of a spread from the V6 Camaro, but it isnt closer to the LS3.

The GT will be faster than the V6 Camaro, I have no doubt about that. But it wont be near the SS.

It will take the RUMORED 400hp to accomplish that and maybe surpass it depending on the power delivery, drivetrain (gearing) and final weights. I would expect the LS3 to still come out ahead when you look at current power delivery. The LS3 has a great torque curve and power delivery, better than N/A modular Fords.
Camaro v6 is around 250 torq give or take right
Mustang GT is 320 or 325 now.
Camaro SS is what? 400 or something?
So I'd say the GT's torq is right in the middle.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by caseypayne69
Camaro v6 is around 250 torq give or take right
Mustang GT is 320 or 325 now.
Camaro SS is what? 400 or something?
So I'd say the GT's torq is right in the middle.
Can't you ever search?
The Camaro V6 will have 270ft.lbs+ of torque and the SS has 408ft.lbs.
The GT makes closer power/torque to the V6 Camaro than it does the LS3 Camaro.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:53 PM
***Repost Police***

So then we are in agreement. There is no sub-3400lb GT.

If the GT starts at 3500lbs, then 3722lbs for the fully loaded model is perfectly logical.

Glad we sorted that one out.

Yeah but will the Challenger at 4200lbs really be faster than the GT? Yeah I guess it could be. That one may be closer than we'd expect.

Also, I'm not really referring to "sporty affordable RWD coupes". I'm speaking of american muscle cars (i.e. all that really matters ).
I've seen figures for the base GT 5spd as low as 3350lbs. But whatever you say, because you obviously have it in your mind that you're right, and nothing I can say will change that. And Ford doesn't list curb weights on their website, for whatever reason.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Restricted User

I've seen figures for the base GT 5spd as low as 3350lbs. But whatever you say, because you obviously have it in your mind that you're right, and nothing I can say will change that. And Ford doesn't list curb weights on their website, for whatever reason.
Well do you have something more to bring to the discussion or not? I don't "have it in my mind" that i'm right...you simply have failed to present a convincing argument to the contrary. You say i'm supposed to take "figures you've seen" over an actual build sheet for a 2008 GT Premium owned by a coworker of mine? Better yet, take the common sense approach - the 2004 GT weighed 3500-3600lbs. You'd be stupid to expect the next generation to weigh less...you should expect it to weigh more, because it always does. That said, how can you yourself believe a figure as low as 33XXlbs? The base V6 is heavier than that! That's C6 territory, and I know your opinion of the Mustang is artificially inflated cause you owned one...but come on, I know you're not stupid.

So unless you have something more than "figures you've seen", you really don't have any ground to stand in this discussion.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:27 PM
***Repost Police***

Actually my '98 GT weighs a little less than 3350lbs, and my '01 GT weighed just over 3,400lbs. The only 3,600lb 94-04 GTs you're gonna see are automatic convertibles maybe.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...eight&aq=f&oq=

Everything on that list (besides a bunk wikipedia entry) is between 3,400-3,600lbs. Car and Driver tested a Bullitt Mustang and it weighed 3536lbs. Which is about as heavy as you're gonna get for a 5spd Mustang GT coupe.

Edit: And you have no grounds for saying that my opinion of Mustangs is "artificially inflated" because I owned a couple of them. Some people are capable of owning/liking cars without having to make them out to be something that they aren't.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:35 PM
***Repost Police***

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ior_specs.html
Motor Trend test of a 2010 GT... 3572lbs, 13.5 @ 104mph in the 1/4 mile, and .95g on the skidpad.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Restricted User

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ior_specs.html
Motor Trend test of a 2010 GT... 3572lbs, 13.5 @ 104mph in the 1/4 mile, and .95g on the skidpad.
Now there you go...that's something worth looking at.

However, it does fit right in line with what i've been saying. Figure a 250lb weight range for the GT coupe model lineup. May not be quite that high, but it's about average it seems for these kinds of cars. The range for the 4th gen f-bodies was about that too. So the GT ranges from about 3500lbs to about 3700lbs, and the V6 models 3400-3500lbs.

Can we put this argument to sleep now?
Old 02-21-2009, 07:29 PM
***Repost Police***

http://www.gayot.com/lifestyle/autom...nvertible.html
Like I said... the only way you're going to see a 3,700lb Mustang GT is if it's an automatic convertible. And what do you know, here's an automatic convertible that weighs 3,673lbs. And the GT coupe starts at 3,483lbs. This
http://autos.aol.com/cars-Ford-Musta...vailable-trims has the GT convertible starting at 3,601lbs, and the GT coupe starting at 3,483lbs.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Restricted User

http://www.gayot.com/lifestyle/autom...nvertible.html
Like I said... the only way you're going to see a 3,700lb Mustang GT is if it's an automatic convertible. And what do you know, here's an automatic convertible that weighs 3,673lbs. And the GT coupe starts at 3,483lbs. This
http://autos.aol.com/cars-Ford-Musta...vailable-trims has the GT convertible starting at 3,601lbs, and the GT coupe starting at 3,483lbs.
Are you just going to keep posting links that support what i'm saying? Now you're just wasting time. I settled on a weight range of ABOUT 3500lbs (which your 3483lb link supports) to ABOUT 3700lbs. I gave you the benefit of the doubt by assuming that the 3722lb coupe that my coworker owns is the absolute heaviest non-convertible there is, so that's why I said ABOUT 3700lbs. 3673lbs for the convertible fits right in the 250lb range I spoke of. So why are you still trying to argue with me?
Old 02-21-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here we are again with the sales argument. Is this all any Mustang guy has? Apparently you don't realize how useless this argument is. Haven't you heard the age-old "McDonalds sells the most food so they must be the best" rebuttal? I mean it really does apply.

That's not what i'm talking about. What i'm commenting on is the fact that Ford now has a four year lead on the Camaro, yet when the Camaro hits the streets, the Mustang is going to be right back in second place. If Ford could have mustered 400hp or something very close to it for this refresh, they could be matching the Camaro's performance at it's release. Now they are starting AGAIN at a disadvantage, and despite what all you Ford fanboys claim, at this point there's no reason to believe we will see 400hp in a GT in the near future. I'm certainly not saying it won't happen, but now i'm not expecting it, as I was for this refresh. There's just too much opposition in the market right now to say that it will happen with any kind of certainty.
Maybe I should rephrase so you can understand; why would ford waste the publicity and hype of a new drivetrain when there is no competition and theyre selling fine they way they are? Save the "big guns" for the "horsepower war."

The 5.0 was originally slated for 2010, but the decision was made to delay until 2011. Ford's marketing team thinks this strategy will sell more cars, whether that be because they are conceding 2010 to the camaro or they think styling alone will carry sales in 2010 I have no idea.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Restricted User

Maybe I should rephrase so you can understand; why would ford waste the publicity and hype of a new drivetrain when there is no competition and theyre selling fine they way they are? Save the "big guns" for the "horsepower war."
Got news for you buddy...the horsepower wars are here...have been here for a couple of years now. Where are Ford's "big guns"?

The sales argument AGAIN. GM didn't change their cars because they were selling so they must have been fine the way they were right? Then why is GM fighting to stay alive now?
Old 02-22-2009, 12:10 AM
Banned

Somethings never change, once again the gt will be competition for the v6 camaro just like the 90's....
Old 02-22-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That new GT500 looks sick as hell

Quick Reply: Priced - Refreshed 2010 Ford Mustang