Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

R&T Comparo - HEMI Dodge Charger SRT8 vs LS3 Pontiac G8 GXP

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frosty
Bringing back an "iconic" nameplate won't do crap for sales. Do you really think people are buying the new Impala because it has the name Impala? The only iconic names left are Camaro and Corvette. This isn't the 60's...hell most of the people that are shopping for BMW's probably don't even know WTF a Tempest or Le Mans is

If people think the G8 is ugly that's fine however renaming it with an old school name doesn't fix ugly.

The sales are low IMO because they're targeting BMW owners...I think it's great GM is putting out a car that can compete but lets be realistic here...how many BMW owners/potential owners would even THINK of the word Pontiac? I'd venture to say most of them would rather drink instant cover over their Starbucks latte's rather than drive a Pontiac over a BMW...
im not saying the name change alone would improve sales lol. just that G8 is a shity name. not memorable at all. i say G8 the unititiated say WTF? simple as that. and i agree wholehartedly with your bmw buyer response. people who want to buy a bmw want to do so for the sake of saying they own a bmw. pontiac is an everday car-bmw is a yupee car. simple as that. and impala part...i know plenty of people who own impalas only for the name. especialy black people. hell a new impala ss coast as much as one from the 60s so why not get one with a warnty and turn her into a lowrider or something? trust me-people put a lot of stock in a name.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:59 PM
12 Second Club

I guess...I couldn't see buying a new Impala because it's an Impala...but I wouldn't doubt that there are people out there. But really, how much of those people make up the customer base?

I know the old time Caddy and Olds people are dedicated(who are now senior citizens lol).

Pontiac is dealing with the stigma of decades of crap cars(not saying that's true, just saying they have that stigma). That's A LOT to overcome when you're going after a company like BMW.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Frosty
I guess...I couldn't see buying a new Impala because it's an Impala...but I wouldn't doubt that there are people out there. But really, how much of those people make up the customer base?

I know the old time Caddy and Olds people are dedicated(who are now senior citizens lol).

Pontiac is dealing with the stigma of decades of crap cars(not saying that's true, just saying they have that stigma). That's A LOT to overcome when you're going after a company like BMW.
your right there but its not just pontiac. its all of the american brands really. because the govt decided to relegate free enterprise and everything they forced the big three auto makers to meet certain requirements or else. well they met them but turned out a bunch of crap in the process during the 70s and 80s especially. now they have a prety good system down and made far superior cars from ever before....but to many people have lost their faith in the big three. so its a stigma they all must get over and its a long uphill battle. especially with the new CAFE standards hovering above them and the lack of finances. but seriously-big full size cars in excess of 4000 pounds with large V8s getting upwards of 25 MPG on the highway? that was unheard of before. they have come a long way lol. but people gotta forget about all that old crap and give the big three another chance and maybe we might be able to save our beloved american cars....cause i for one never want to buy an import lol.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:13 PM

btw Frosty-love the avatar you got there lol

Quick Reply: R&T Comparo - HEMI Dodge Charger SRT8 vs LS3 Pontiac G8 GXP